Official GB root status

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Okay I'm going to ask which is probably another dumb question.

What is the difference between:

• Deodexed Version
  • Odexed Version
  • Patched Update
  • Full Stock Version
On this....

Deodexed Version is what you need if you want to install Themes and such. It can be customized and themed easier. The only downside is that when you wipe your dalvik cahe, the next time you boot your phone, it can take a little while longer.

Odexed Version is where everything is packed up nice and tight, but can't be themed easily.

What Is Odex And Deodex In Android [Complete Guide]

Patched update is the Rooted Version of GB.

Full Stock Version is the OTA GB. The one that is not rooted yet, or possibly ever.

jbhuskers

Reaction score

• Deodexed Version
  • Odexed Version
  • Patched Update
  • Full Stock Version
On this....

To keep it simple, if a rom is deodexed, you are able to apply themes
Odexed I believe takes up less memory but you can't flash themes with it.
FULL stock I think is an update.zip that you can flash in stock recovery

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.7

Thanks man. Full stock will be handy for future updates obviously. I may give it a whirl tonight now that I'm a lot more familiar with this stuff.

jbhuskers

Reaction score

• Deodexed Version
  • Odexed Version
  • Patched Update
  • Full Stock Version
On this....

Deodexed Version is what you need if you want to install Themes and such. It can be customized and themed easier. The only downside is that when you wipe your dalvik cahe, the next time you boot your phone, it can take a little while longer.

Odexed Version is where everything is packed up nice and tight, but can't be themed easily.

What Is Odex And Deodex In Android [Complete Guide]

Patched update is the Rooted Version of GB.

Full Stock Version is the OTA GB. The one that is not rooted yet, or possibly ever.

Sweet....thanks you guys rock! I'm just completely lost when it came to all of this since I just got my Droid in April.

jbhuskers

Reaction score
Once again thanks for everyones help, I'm now on rooted GB dancedroid

cjriddle22

Reaction score
...and now I'm on Liberty 0.7 :)

Nice... that was going to be my next suggestion. Question, did you happen to make a backup of bone stock rooted GB? If so, now if you want to ever try out another ROM or need to accept a new OTA, you can just restore your backup and not have to mess with the SBF. If not, it is ok, b/c now you know the process...

jbhuskers

Reaction score
...and now I'm on Liberty 0.7 :)

Nice... that was going to be my next suggestion. Question, did you happen to make a backup of bone stock rooted GB? If so, now if you want to ever try out another ROM or need to accept a new OTA, you can just restore your backup and not have to mess with the SBF. If not, it is ok, b/c now you know the process...

I have bookmarked that one guy's stock GB (from the same page that I got that two-part install). You're right about the process...I know it pretty well now :)

jbhuskers

Reaction score
That's what I did....I created a Linux bootdisk to help me get into stock froyo because sbf'ing through windows wouldn't work for me. From there I rooted, went to GB, then went to Liberty v0.7.

guest0

Reaction score
That's what I did....I created a Linux bootdisk to help me get into stock froyo because sbf'ing through windows wouldn't work for me. From there I rooted, went to GB, then went to Liberty v0.7.

What's Linux Bootdisk? Any links to instructions?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
By the way, it's OK if you didn't make a backup of stock gb, before flashing liberty. If you want to try another rom, just wipe data and flash. I do it all the time

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8

cjriddle22

Reaction score
I was playing around with my phone trying to sbf back to froyo and bricked my phone. I called Verizon and they sent me a replacement phone but the replacement phone came with stock OTA GB obviously with no root. Since the phone came with OTA GB stock, can I still sbf to froyo 2.3.340 ota, root, and install rooted GB. 596?

Yes you can SBF back to Froyo from Stock GB.

What did you tell Verizon to get them to send you a new one? I bet you didn't tell them that you tried rooting it and SBF'ing back to Froyo did you? Did you lie and say it was a hardware issue? I'm not trying to personally get after you... It's just that things like this give the whole community a bad wrap. If you caused the issue, it is your problem to fix.

Did you even attempt to ask for help on these forums..? If you "bricked" it trying to SBF it, you probably weren't bricked. Could you get into the bootloader? I have been doing this for a while and have yet to see an actual "bricked" phone. 99% of the time you can SBF.

And again, not a personal attack on you, just frustrating in general.

biglumis

Reaction score
alright everyone, here's my problem. apparently because of the bootloader update to v. 30.04 i cant flash back to froyo. I desperately need a native root mmethod. anyone have any suggestions? and yes i've tried gingerbreak and naturally it doesn't work.

huskur

Reaction score
alright everyone, here's my problem. apparently because of the bootloader update to v. 30.04 i cant flash back to froyo. I desperately need a native root mmethod. anyone have any suggestions? and yes i've tried gingerbreak and naturally it doesn't work.

Incorrect. 30.04 bootloader will not stop the SBF process. Get the most current Moto drivers and RSD lite 4.8 (runs native as administrator on all machines) and the SBF file for froyo for the X.

Just did it a few days ago with 30.04 bootloader. 20 mins tops

cjriddle22

Reaction score

You cannot flash a backup of Froyo from GB. The bootloader did not change. If you want rooted GB, you need to SBF to Froyo, root, then install the two part rooted GB. Very simple. And no there is not a one-click root method available for OTA GB.

biglumis

Reaction score
I have driver version 5.0 as far as i can find with google this is the latest version and when i sbf i just boot loop. and the stock recovery will not let me wipe data. i dont get it.