Official GB root status

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Yea I know I started running the GB Leak the day it first was released and rooted. But 2weeks ago went back to Froyo so I could ply around with some more roms I hadn't had the chance to yet before I had flashed GB. And I was also hoping they would find root for the final ota version of GB. Which by the way what are the differences between the final leaked version and the ota version?

sent using my Liberated Droid X. Power to the User!

I was on the Liberty GB (v0.4?) that utilized the .591 leak and I never really had any issues. If you read all of p3droid's tweets and forum posts the rooted version of .596 (mentioned in the post above) is identical to the OTA (same build number, .596). The only difference is that p3droid's version is pre-rooted. He also said that installing the pre-rooted version will NOT prevent future OTA updates. So to answer you question, I do not think there is anything different between the two builds, except that one is rooted.

jbhuskers

Reaction score
So here's a quick rundown of what I did:

• I was a dumbass and deleted pre-installed apps (Madden, Skype, etc)
  • OTA didn't work obviously
  • Tried a method to flash a ROM and then update to GB
  • Bricked the phone
  • Someone did a great job (cjriddle) and helped me get a Linux boot disc to SBF Froyo stock
  • Now I'm on GB OTA
So if I want a rooted GB, should I do the Linux flash of the Froyo stock first, and then SBF the rooted GB?

And one more question, when Honeycomb comes out, basically someone will have a stock GB that I can flash back to?

Is that how it works? Pardon my newbness, but I have learned a lot in two months :)

EDIT: and this is my 100th post LOL dancedroid

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't complicate this. Just sbf to froyo and then reroot and flash the ota rooted leak.

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.7

jbhuskers

Reaction score
Don't complicate this. Just sbf to froyo and then reroot and flash the ota rooted leak.

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.7

My problem was the Froyo file that was linked won't work for me. I get an initialization error; which is why I went the Linux route.

huskur

Reaction score

• Bricked the phone
  • Someone did a great job (cjriddle) and helped me get a Linux boot disc to SBF Froyo stock
  • Now I'm on GB OTA
So if I want a rooted GB, should I do the Linux flash of the Froyo stock first, and then SBF the rooted GB?

And one more question, when Honeycomb comes out, basically someone will have a stock GB that I can flash back to?

Is that how it works? Pardon my newbness, but I have learned a lot in two months :)

Follow this path..... SBF back to Froyo (2.2.1) and then look here: Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone

Edit: by the time you are ready for Honeycomb you will have a new phone

GO BIG RED!!!!

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Follow this path..... SBF back to Froyo (2.2.1) and then look here: Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone

Sweet! A fellow Husker!

Can I get a good link to Froyo 2.2.1 please. SBF'ing on Win 7 32-bit is something I haven't had luck with yet.

Back when you were trying to SBF, you were putting your phone into bootloader mode before connecting it to the computer corrrect? I have SBF'd 3 times on a Win7 32 bit since this weekend, with no issues (I used RSD Lite 4.9).

Last edited:

huskur

Reaction score

Sweet! A fellow Husker!

Can I get a good link to Froyo 2.2.1 please. SBF'ing on Win 7 32-bit is something I haven't had luck with yet.

Back when you were trying to SBF, you were putting your phone into bootloader mode before connecting it to the computer corrrect? I have SBF'd 3 times on a Win7 32 bit since this weekend, with no issues.

Good point CJ. I am fortunate enough to have an XP Pro, Vista, and a Win 7 machine

cjriddle22

Reaction score

• Bricked the phone
  • Now I'm on GB OTA

Yes you should use the Linux method or the regular ole SBF with RSD Lite method if you are trying to go to Rooted GB . Then install the pre-rooted GB from p3droid over at mydroid world (*Note, this is not an actual SBF file, just saying, I'd rather tell you now than get flamed later).

I doubt Honeycomb will ever come to Phones, it was built for Tablets. Now we might eventually get some Ice Cream Sandwich, if the rumors are true. This should be the next Android OS, and it is supposed to be compatible with phones & tablets. GB was probably the last major update the DX will see though.

jbhuskers

Reaction score

jbhuskers

Reaction score
Okay I'm going to ask which is probably another dumb question.

What is the difference between:

• Deodexed Version
  • Odexed Version
  • Patched Update
  • Full Stock Version
On this....

cjriddle22

Reaction score
DROID X 2.3.340 System SBF Released for 2.3.320 Leak Users - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Here you go. All you need!!

Windows 7 i would use RSD Lite 4.8 It runs native as administrator

I couldn't get anything above the inital RSD Lite 4.5 to recognize my phone via usb, and all of my moto drivers are up to date. Is this because I need to right click on 4.8 and "run as admin"?

That could be the case... last time I'm asking... did make sure and put your phone into bootloader mode? You weren't just plugging it in while it was it was on and you had RSD lite open, correct?

jbhuskers

Reaction score
DROID X 2.3.340 System SBF Released for 2.3.320 Leak Users - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Here you go. All you need!!

Windows 7 i would use RSD Lite 4.8 It runs native as administrator

I couldn't get anything above the inital RSD Lite 4.5 to recognize my phone via usb, and all of my moto drivers are up to date. Is this because I need to right click on 4.8 and "run as admin"?

That could be the case... last time I'm asking... did make sure and put your phone into bootloader mode? You weren't just plugging it in while it was it was on and you had RSD lite open, correct?

Yeah I thought I had answered you prior, but I was in bootloader mode.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Okay I'm going to ask which is probably another dumb question.

What is the difference between:

• Deodexed Version
  • Odexed Version
  • Patched Update
  • Full Stock Version
On this....

To keep it simple, if a rom is deodexed, you are able to apply themes
Odexed I believe takes up less memory but you can't flash themes with it.
FULL stock I think is an update.zip that you can flash in stock recovery

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.7