OFFICIAL: 2.1 to release this week on the Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.

swickdick

Reaction score
I myself am not one of the good souls who live and die by the 2.1 update news, I'm saying why others might get mad. And a premature release mistake is pretty unprofessional especially for a company with the caliber such as Moto.

The 22nd of January seemed to be an important date for some reason so someone official had to say something about that to.

raven1911

Reaction score
OK, I am totally lazy and don't want to read the entire 92 pages of this thread. What is the latest in regards to the update?

Deno

Reaction score
Settings then about phone
Ok thanks now i'm looking at firmware version 2.0.1 and I'm totally not sure if that the latest update or not... the unlock screen is different but I keep reading about version 2.1 and not 2.0.1... would you know anything about that?

This thread is about 2.1, which has not been released. 2.0.1 is the most current official update.
Ok so... how is verizon suppose to send out an over the air upgrade for the 2.1?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks now i'm looking at firmware version 2.0.1 and I'm totally not sure if that the latest update or not... the unlock screen is different but I keep reading about version 2.1 and not 2.0.1... would you know anything about that?

This thread is about 2.1, which has not been released. 2.0.1 is the most current official update.
Ok so... how is verizon suppose to send out an over the air upgrade for the 2.1?

When the update becomes available, it will pop up on your phone and ask whether or not you want to download and install the update.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
People keep complaining because we keep getting bull**** news about when it's suppose to come out which gets everyone's hopes up. I for one am tired of hearing, "Oh it's coming out this week", or "oh its coming out on the 22nd". Set up a damn release date and get it done, or if they want to keep changing dates around DON'T MAKE THEM PUBLIC.
VZW never made them public nor did they make any kind of announcement. So anything else you may have read or heard does not matter.

Moto DID act prematurely and have since retracted their statement and did say it was a mistake.

So don't get mad it's not worth it. You'll know when it's being released when Verizon says it is.

Would it kill them (Moto / Verizon) to publish a date? Even if its July 1st, publish it. "Under promise, over deliver" as the saying goes.. Pick a date you CAN MEET, give them that, and if you beat it all the better.
This is not an important and/or needed update. There's no reason to publish anything.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but it's only a SMALL COSMETIC update. It's trivial and does not add any functionality to the device.

I could understand the outrage if the device had serious bugs that needed to be addressed and weren't but this is not the case.

rkeller62

Reaction score
This is not an important and/or needed update. There's no reason to publish anything.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but it's only a SMALL COSMETIC update. It's trivial and does not add any functionality to the device.

I could understand the outrage if the device had serious bugs that needed to be addressed and weren't but this is not the case.

+1 CK. There are a few minor fixes that some people will really appreciate (Fix security hole with unlock screen, improved battery life, etc...), but other than that, minor usability enhancements. No matter how much you really want or "need" pinch to zoom, live wallpapers, the new 3D launcher or 5 home screens the lack of these in no way prevent you from using your phone for it's intended purpose. And, before the flames start, I know that not all of these features are even reported to be included in the Droid 2.1 update!

Brandon

Reaction score
I am not one to complain about anything but I do find it to be annoying that whoever feels the need to make any kind of statement about an update before it happens. Take one from Apple or Google just keep the release date info to when it is actually being released. If you go an jump the gun with a "Officially this week" statement then fail, your just gonna piss off your customers.

It is kinda like that ****ty boyfriend who breaks promises and always has something come up... Eventually you just move on because it gets old real fast. Cosmetic or not just stop getting peoples hopes up. (@ both Android and Droidforums News)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't blame you guys who rooted for not going back. I really don't think this update is that big of a deal, however I wanted my warranty back since I don't have insurance.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
If you go an jump the gun with a "Officially this week" statement then fail, your just gonna piss off your customers.
Correct and Motorola has now learned that lesson. This is their first venture into a hugely popular platform. They'll make mistakes along the way.

Nobody got hurt, we all are still alive. Not a big deal : )

MrKleen

Reaction score
...Nobody got hurt, we all are still alive. Not a big deal : )

I don't know - we might have grounds for a "pain and suffering" lawsuit!! thoughts anyone?? :icon_eek:

Hey, I think I like the way this guy thinks! I know several people that have been involved in and received very nice settlements for random nonsense.... and I never get anything :) Lets all get rich and maybe take over Motorola then we can update our phones whenever we want.

radsaq

Reaction score

I sure hope they've fixed some of the bugs. Issues like the occasional confusion of the device as to whether there is an audio cable plugged in or not, resulting in it not playing call audio through the earpiece along with the inability to retrieve attachments from an Exchange account when the server uses a self-signed certificate are pretty damn annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.