OCCASIONAL Very poor battery life. Why? Screenshots included.

bamorris2

Reaction score
So I usually get pretty decent battery life, as in it lasts me from morning until the evening, although it's just about out of juice by the time that I get home from work. For that reason, I picked up the extended battery last week for $25. It works great. I still have about 35% remaining when I get home now. But twice now I have had a situation where my battery drains extremely fast, as in 60%+ in just a couple of hours. And it happened today with the extended battery. I remember looking at my battery gauge in the mid-afternoon and thinking to myself how good the extended battery is working. It had around 60% IIRC. Fast forward to dinner time at a restaurant at about 5:30. I had not used the phone during the interim. But when I looked at it, it was down to 16%! And the phone was very warm to the touch. This is a very similar situation to what happened twice before. This time I decided to take some screen shots to see if anyone could help explain why this happened.

Screenshot_2012-01-16-18-58-13.png

Screenshot_2012-01-16-18-58-25.png

Screenshot_2012-01-16-18-58-39.png

Screenshot_2012-01-16-18-58-46.png

Screenshot_2012-01-16-18-59-09.png

Screenshot_2012-01-16-18-59-16.png

Other than seeing that Screen and Google Services is taking up most of my battery, I don't know how to make out what is causing this sporatic heavy battery usage. Can anyone help decipher this?

I'm also going to post on a few other forum sites as well for added exposure.

doublea500

Reaction score
if you dont use google+ then uninstall it (if your rooted). the problem is coming from google services.

OP
B

bamorris2

Reaction score
if you dont use google+ then uninstall it (if your rooted). the problem is coming from google services.

I'm not rooted so cannot uninstall it. And I don't see an option to disable it either. But I confirmed that I am logged out of G+ and its not "running". I'm not confident that G+ is the culprit. Although it does appear to be the Google servers at issue here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Google Services doesn't even show up on mine. Android OS is taking up 40% though.

lizard

Reaction score
Do you think your phone could be trying continuously to sync do to loss of connection? Can you sync over wifi only? I don't need to sync all the time.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OCDroid

Reaction score
Could something be plowing through some data? Adjust your sliders in the data usage settings to show results for the day you had trouble. Check the mobile and wifi usage and see if anything turns up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

suzukimethod

Reaction score
that keep awake time for your android OS looks mighty suspicious imho. i had a very similar problem, and turned off NFC, and checked into background data usage....

but the thing that seemed to tip things in my favor, is I uninstalled a bunch of programs that I had installed en masse (they had been OG D1 staples of mine) that I hadn't actually started to use yet. My assumption was that (at least) one of them was not yet optimized for ICS and was doing some funny stuff with android keep awake action. my battery went from 8-12 hours to 24+ with these changes. (now rooted, i can go 36 if I limit my battery burners (games, video, phone))

prowler85

Reaction score
Actually, if you're not rooted, I think your problem is the issue with Android OS not shutting off (a known issue that was fixed in 4.0.3). Mine did the same thing and it baffled me, as some times it lasted and some times it just burned thru battery (couldn't figure out why it was varying). There's an issue in the early builds that when the phone is put to sleep by pressing the power button that the OS stays awake (something to do with the camera sensor). But if you let it time out and go to sleep then all was well. Which made sense as to why some times it lasted and some times it burned thru in no time.

If you're like me, you usually hit the power button to save that 30 seconds or so of screen time, but in this case it's what is causing the problem. I'd try for a few days to let the screen time out, and see if that solves it. If it does, you'll either have to root and install a 4.0.3 ROM, or just let it time out until 4.0.3 is released.

orion2001

Reaction score
Install Better Battery Stats and that might give you a better idea of what is causing wakelocks and preventing your phone from going into deep sleep mode. I find that app in conjunction with Battery Stats Widget and Cpu Spy to be very useful when trying to figure out what is causing unusual battery performance.

suzukimethod

Reaction score
Actually, if you're not rooted, I think your problem is the issue with Android OS not shutting off (a known issue that was fixed in 4.0.3). Mine did the same thing and it baffled me, as some times it lasted and some times it just burned thru battery (couldn't figure out why it was varying). There's an issue in the early builds that when the phone is put to sleep by pressing the power button that the OS stays awake (something to do with the camera sensor). But if you let it time out and go to sleep then all was well. Which made sense as to why some times it lasted and some times it burned thru in no time.

If you're like me, you usually hit the power button to save that 30 seconds or so of screen time, but in this case it's what is causing the problem. I'd try for a few days to let the screen time out, and see if that solves it. If it does, you'll either have to root and install a 4.0.3 ROM, or just let it time out until 4.0.3 is released.

this makes a ton of sense, as it got a lot better for me (unrooted) when I re-installed screebl (screen time out app). b/c it aggressively turns the screen off when lying flat, i just set my phone down rather than bother with the physical button.

prowler85

Reaction score
this makes a ton of sense, as it got a lot better for me (unrooted) when I re-installed screebl (screen time out app). b/c it aggressively turns the screen off when lying flat, i just set my phone down rather than bother with the physical button.

Yeah, it made a ton of sense to me when I heard of this issue. I went skiing over two days and put the phone in airplane mode both days. The first day I started at 92% and ended at 76%, just taking a few pictures. Was fairly thrilled with the battery usage. The second day started at 89% and ended at 16%, still just taking a few pictures. Made no sense at all, as I did nothing different. Except maybe letting it time-out vs. hitting the power button. And once I put on a 4.0.3 ROM, my battery life consistently gets double what I used to. And I almost always turn my screen off manually with the power button.

Check the Keep Awake time under Android OS and if it's exceptionally high I'd almost guarantee that this is the problem. And as shown in the OP's pics, his Keep Awake time is outrageous, so I'd put money that this is his problem.

suzukimethod

Reaction score
yeah, i meant to add (or maybe i did in another thread), i had terrible android OS keep awake times (waaaay too high)...

between screebl (a while back) and unlock/root (now on stock 4.0.3) i have excellent battery life with moderate usage.

gibsonlp223

Reaction score
What would be considered exceptionally high for keep awake time?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums