NVIDIA: Tegra3+ Chip Coming; Future Tegra Chips to Outperform Xbox360 by 2014

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nvidia-tegra-roadmap.jpg

It seems that NVIDIA is not sitting still with their mobile chip development, and that's not surprising considering they have companies like Qualcomm, Samsung and now even Intel in a race with them. We have a couple pieces of information to share with you guys. First, NVIDIA is going to have a product refresh before they come out with the Tegra 4. Their general manager, Mike Rayfield, indicated that they will soon release a Tegra 3+ chip and a Tegra 3+ LTE. "In the third quarter we'll start to see numerous models that are LTE shipped with Tegra 3," Rayfield said. He also indicated that the chip will not be called the Tegra 3+ but, "it'll be high performance. It's a pretty significant bump."

future-nvidia-tech.jpg

The second morsel of news out of NVIDIA hints even more at their plans to integrate more advanced technologies into their mobile chipsets. In fact, their plan is to have a Tegra device out that will perform equivalent to or better than an Xbox 360 by 2014. You can check out the graph above for their expected timeline. So, what do you guys think of this? Can you envision your phone or tablet device replacing your gaming console?

Source: Anandtech and TechnoBuffalo

BigZig

Reaction score
I would think there would be a new Console out by 2014. But i would not replace that with a tablet i would get a tablet and a console! :biggrin:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
2014 they will be on par with a device that would be already 8-9 years old

This.

It is impressive that we've been able to get mobile processors to this state so fast, but it kind of isn't that big of a surprise.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Pretty impressive to see considering the high performance mobile "smart" industry is barely 5 years old. A handheld device, using less than 3 Ah batteries with a thermal design power of 2-5 watts, performing as well as a full blown 100+ tdp machine? Awesome!

Sent from my Droid2Global on CM7.1 nightlies, along with
Jakebyte mods, 13thangel's tweaks, and custom prop mods
-Kaw Kaw-

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The second morsel of news out of NVIDIA hints even more at their plans to integrate more advanced technologies into their mobile chipsets. In fact, their plan is to have a Tegra device out that will perform equivalent to or better than an Xbox 360 by 2014. You can check out the graph above for their expected timeline. So, what do you guys think of this? Can you envision your phone or tablet device replacing your gaming console?

Ok, and by 2014 the next gen of consoles will have even better graphics.

I can't see my phone ever replacing my PS3, Xbox360 or PC for gaming anytime soon. The demand on the battery would be so much that you wouldn't get any significant play time. And when I refer to play time I mean a good 4-5 solid hours on an online multilayer game.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, and by 2014 the next gen of consoles will have even better graphics...

Better than what? Graphics have been what has driven the console market since the 8-bit Nintendo dropped. My 360 already displays at 1080p, the highest resolution most any mainstream TV will display. The only place to go from here is either higher-than-HD (which no one's really offering) or 3D which needs quite a bit of improvement in home television tech before it becomes more mainstream and I don't see that tech improving by next year.

I'll be astonished if the next playstation or Xbox drops next year. I can't fathom what they'd actually improve upon.

Last edited:

GAstorino

Reaction score
That would be cool if a phone had that power and a slot for a seperate memory card for games like on the Vita then you can just take your phone and sleeve of games on a vacation and just hook the phone to the tv or laptop screen, pop in the game card and there you have a full blown console.

BigZig

Reaction score
Better than what? Graphics have been what has driven the console market since the 8-bit Nintendo dropped. My 360 already displays at 1080p, the highest resolution most any mainstream TV will display. The only place to go from here is either higher-than-HD (which no one's really offering) or 3D which needs quite a bit of improvement in home television tech before it becomes more mainstream and I don't see that tech improving by next year.

I'll be astonished if the next playstation or Xbox drops next year. I can't fathom what they'd actually improve upon.

Have you played any PC games lately with a high end graphics card?....something like Ando 2027 i have my CPU hooked up to my HDTV and the graphics are way better then what my 360 pumps out so yes there is plenty of room for improvement on console graphics.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You plug your CPU into your TV and get better resolution than 1080p?

BigZig

Reaction score
Graphics are more than just resolution. And yes you can play PC games at higher resolutions than 1920×1080.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

52brandon

Reaction score
Ok, and by 2014 the next gen of consoles will have even better graphics.

I can't see my phone ever replacing my PS3, Xbox360 or PC for gaming anytime soon. The demand on the battery would be so much that you wouldn't get any significant play time. And when I refer to play time I mean a good 4-5 solid hours on an online multilayer game.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
agreed. But these generation phones may beat the PS Vida, and more than likely will have better graphics than the DS at minimum

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Graphics are more than just resolution. And yes you can play PC games at higher resolutions than 1920×1080...

But not on your television which is my only point. Of course your high-end monitor has a higher max resolution.

B-Unit

Reaction score
No, you seem to still be missing the basic idea that resolution is not the only factor in determining how good graphics are. There's absolutely no reason that there wont be new consoles with improved rendering capability that will still be outputting 1080p signal, yet look far better than today's consoles. The point BigZig is trying to get across is that PCs already have these capabilities, i.e. PC games that push the envelope look better than the best console games at the same resolution.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
agreed. But these generation phones may beat the PS Vida, and more than likely will have better graphics than the DS at minimum

Everything has better graphics than a Nintendo DS. The DS is equivalent to a N64 in portable for with better shaders.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk 2.