NVIDIA: Tegra3+ Chip Coming; Future Tegra Chips to Outperform Xbox360 by 2014

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No, you seem to still be missing the basic idea that resolution is not the only factor in determining how good graphics are. There's absolutely no reason that there wont be new consoles with improved rendering capability that will still be outputting 1080p signal, yet look far better than today's consoles. The point BigZig is trying to get across is that PCs already have these capabilities, i.e. PC games that push the envelope look better than the best console games at the same resolution.

Ok both PS3 and Xbox360 games are native 720p there maybe a FEW, and I stress FEW, that are native 1080p but most are just upscaled from 720p. Go Google it if you don't believe me. There was a huge debate about Halo 3 not displaying a native 720p picture. IIRC the resolution was about 640p, which is less than 720p and thus does not qualify as HD.

But the same game played on a PC and a console, will always look better on PC especially if it's written to take full advantage of the graphics and physics cards, like Crysis.

Any way the human eye has an extremely hard time distinguishing resolution differences above 1080p. 2160p is not noticeably different than 1080p but it's double the resolution. Heck most people can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk 2.

52brandon

Reaction score
Everything has better graphics than a Nintendo DS. The DS is equivalent to a N64 in portable for with better shaders.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk 2.
I assume so as well. I still think the smartphones will be superior to the mobile gaming platforms that will be available in a couple years

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Resolution does not equal graphical quality outright. If I upscaled a PS1 game to 1080p, sure it would be clearer, and in this case you'd literally want to claw your eyes out with how pixelated it would appear. Though it is displayed at HD resolution, the graphics still suck. This is the point a previous poster was trying to make.

If there was a 2160p resolution released tomorrow and xboxs and ps3s could magically use this doubled resolution the graphics would still be the same. PC tech advances yearly, these consoles are over 6 years old. A modern gaming PC is much more powerful than either and PC games are made to use this capability.

No, a current phone will never have the hardware to match a current full sized device at any time. But its exciting to see how rapid things are advancing.

Sent from my Droid2Global on CM7.1 nightlies, along with
Jakebyte mods, angel's tweaks, custom prop mods
-Kaw Kaw-

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
So er...does this mean emulators for Xbox 360 will start popping up for my Tegra3 device? o_O

Sweet!:biggrin: