Next Gen Tegra from Nvidia Codenamed 'Kal-El' - Up to 5x Faster than Current Tegra 2

webeougher

Reaction score
"Nvidia streamed a 1440p video on a tablet PC..."

WAIT, WHAT? Why would they be promoting a screen of such resolutions already when there is no infrastructure to support it? Finding content at this resolution is extremely difficult. There is simply not going to be any 1440p programming broadcast, cablecast, satellitecast, or recorded on HD-DVD or BluRay content at all.

As I've read it, research suggests that at an AVERAGE VIEWING DISTANCE, you don't see the benefit of 720p over 576i (not 480i) until you get to screen sizes over 28", and that you don't see the benefit of 1080p over 720p until you get to 50", but we need 1440p on a freakin' tablet two feet from our faces? That's like giving a 3 year old a set of alphabet blocks constructed of pure rare gems. Just...why?

In short? Because they can.

Settle down, friend. They're just showing off their latest toys because they want to make people salivate.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
But that's the problem, instead of focusing on the things people should really worry about in processors (fantastic battery life, super cool temps under load, or even clock speeds) they choose to promote an impractical screen resolution instead.

Wrong priorities.

webeougher

Reaction score
Nvidia is choosing to go that route because that's what the vast majority of tech-nerds drool over. And the largest majority of attendees at shows like this are tech-nerds. I agree that their priorities are in the wrong place; however, they're not going to ignore their audience. A good example of this is the news on television - they focus on crime and corruption stories rather than heart-warming human interest pieces because, at our core, most humans would rather see a train wreck than a room full of frolicking puppies.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I want that chip in anything! It's not so much about the 1440p as it is the amazing horsepower that it takes to push it! I'm fired up! I'm a speed junkie when it comes to chipsets!

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
We need a way to custom make our phones...like putting in new cpus and adding more ram. I know it would be a little fatter but who cares at least i wouldnt be in the need to buy a new phone to get stark.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
We need a way to custom make our phones...like putting in new cpus and adding more ram. I know it would be a little fatter but who cares at least i wouldnt be in the need to buy a new phone to get stark.

That would be cool! Pop open the case and slap a new cpu and some new ram in! I'd also like to see a tiny liquid cpu cooler setup!

merpaderp

Reaction score
WTF?! Where are we going next?? To the Moon??
Obviously, cuz we haven't gone there yet! o.o

But that's the problem, instead of focusing on the things people should really worry about in processors (fantastic battery life, super cool temps under load, or even clock speeds) they choose to promote an impractical screen resolution instead.

Wrong priorities.
But you see that kind of stuff all the time. For instance, who actually needs a 700HP car? Honestly. It's just not necessary. But they still make em. Like webeougher says, it's "because they can" and it's really as simple as that.

But this... these new chips that are gonna come out. Amazing. This is the type of news I needed to solidify my choice to buy the Thunderbolt.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
But you see that kind of stuff all the time. For instance, who actually needs a 700HP car? Honestly. It's just not necessary. But they still make em.

No, the proper analogy would be that the 700hp car would have a speed limiter of 40mph. Sure, it's 700hp but my dirt-bike can go faster, so it's useless and no one would buy it. Or it's a 700hp car but it doesn't come with a transmission that can't be purchased.

Not quite the same wanting something extravagant and something useless. :)