NVIDIA's Kal-El Quad-Core Mobile Chip in Tablets in October; In Phones Q1 2012

simon_lefisch

Reaction score
The only that will benefit froma dual/quad core is the OS itself.....assuming they're smart enough to actually write the code to take advantage of the processor.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Snow02

Reaction score
My quad-core computer is not faster than my single-core computer at browsing the web. Likewise, a quad-core phone will not be faster than a dual-core phone or even a single-core phone if you don't have apps that need that power.

I have a quad core pc and a single core. I'd say the quad beats the single in every way. But.. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens in the phone world. I'm not a big web user with my phone.

I would agree that the quad beats the single, but I would also contend that a lot of PC games are designed to run on at least dual-cores, if not quad-cores, whereas many Android games are designed for single-cores. So the performance difference between a single- and a quad-core phone, while it may sometimes be evident, is not especially important at the moment. Not saying that won't change in the future, because I'm sure it will. For the moment, however, there isn't much of a functional difference between single-, dual-, and even quad-core Android phones. The software is just not to the point of needing that kind of hardware.

You didn't know? Hardware comes first, then the software to properly utilize it. Pretty standard stuff. Dual core phones are still new and not widely adopted. When they are, you'll start seeing more and more software that takes advantage; just like with the 64-bit transition on the desktop side, to cite a recent example.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I played with a coworkers dual core HTC Sensation. It was as fast or faster than my Rom'd, overclocked X. I'd say the more cores the faster no matter what if the OS or software is up to speed or not. The extra cores will pick up a small amount of slack and give extra snap. Good nerd battle here! :)

DaWolf85

Reaction score
You didn't know? Hardware comes first, then the software to properly utilize it. Pretty standard stuff. Dual core phones are still new and not widely adopted. When they are, you'll start seeing more and more software that takes advantage; just like with the 64-bit transition on the desktop side, to cite a recent example.

Oh, I did know that.
However, I didn't want to capitulate on something I can have now (4G) for something that won't really come into play until halfway into my contract (Dual-core).

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
Hey guys I have an idea. Let's make a battery that actually lasts! You know let's not care about quad core because I will choose a single core phone over a quad core if I had a decent battery on the single. All this talk about quad and 2ghz I mean, what about tallks of 2000 to 3000 mah batterys someday

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

darkmatter

Reaction score
I heard that some Android phones will be using the TI OMAP chips next year.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

The droid3 is using it right now. The bionic will as well, when its released in a month or so.

The funny thing is, apps may not even be taking full advantage of dual-core processors when quad-core phones come out. The hardware is there, but app developers mostly want to develop for the largest market. Where is that? Not even dual-core phones, but single-cores.
Say I'm a developer, do I want to develop a really cool app or an app that will make me money? Money all the way.

Quad core will still be faster than anything else out there.

My quad-core computer is not faster than my single-core computer at browsing the web. Likewise, a quad-core phone will not be faster than a dual-core phone or even a single-core phone if you don't have apps that need that power.

Idk about that. Have you seen the vid of a comparison of a tbolt, d3 and iphone4? They had the phones web browsing via the same wifi network (otherwise the tbolt would have won for obvious reasons). In a network being equal test, the d3 rendered every web page faster than the other phones.

Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that android was indeed coded for dual core, its apps that need to catch up. (Or at the very least, ICS will support dual core)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Mark_V

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G4 Plus
Hey guys I have an idea. Let's make a battery that actually lasts! You know let's not care about quad core because I will choose a single core phone over a quad core if I had a decent battery on the single. All this talk about quad and 2ghz I mean, what about tallks of 2000 to 3000 mah batterys someday

Umm... Because this is a thread about chip sets and not batteries?

drkow19

Reaction score
Battery

Battery life is important when discussing new mobile processors, but that generic battery life over performance argument gets old after a while. Battery life is probably a huge factor in these new devices always getting delayed, while they are being tweaked for better power consumption. Since the Kal-El is still based on Cortex A9 cores instead of the newer A15, quad core could be a huge threat to battery life. But we will only know when these tablets are released and tested. I'm hoping that they can build a better battery soon, but until then I think we will be okay. Next generation processors will be smaller, leaving more room in the device for a bigger battery while also consuming less power to provide the same CPU speed. Then we should be looking at 2-5 day battery life minimum!

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
Funny thing is I just left a post on the thread about Google choosing TI
and that things change fast and how Nvidia could release its new chip set and
wham be back on top again. and then this post comes out that proves just that.

Yes and no. I think the Kal-El would be awesoem for tablets where those kind of effects will be great to have, but on a phone...not so much.

Yeah, I think a tablet may need that much processor power, but a phone really doesn't need more than a dual core. Where are they going put a battery big enough in a phone to run it in a phone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Bigger battery = bigger phone = bigger screen lol jk

[ ] Motorola Droid: Latest Miui
[X] Motorola Xoom: Stock Root 3.2
[ ] Apple iPhone 3G: RedSn0w Jailbreak
Tapatalk

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
Battery life is important when discussing new mobile processors, but that generic battery life over performance argument gets old after a while. Battery life is probably a huge factor in these new devices always getting delayed, while they are being tweaked for better power consumption. Since the Kal-El is still based on Cortex A9 cores instead of the newer A15, quad core could be a huge threat to battery life. But we will only know when these tablets are released and tested. I'm hoping that they can build a better battery soon, but until then I think we will be okay. Next generation processors will be smaller, leaving more room in the device for a bigger battery while also consuming less power to provide the same CPU speed. Then we should be looking at 2-5 day battery life minimum!

Well I would like to think if you can fit quad core into a phone you wouldn't need a big battery when taalking physical size. Its just with all our phones can do, the last thing companies worry about is one of the most things hated about smartphones