Nvidia Road-Map Leak Indicates Tegra 3 will be a 1.5GHz Quad-Core Chip!

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
the best question is what's the battery life going to be on these? dual 1.5s?? that seems like overkill for a phone...hopefully they find a way to keep everything running efficiently. like CK said, i doubt any overclocking has to be done on phones like this, they'll be fast all by themselves.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Just read some disheartening news about the Bionic by the way:

If your really posting from a bionic I feel so sorry for you.that piece of crap is so far from usable in any way shape or form.I bet that if it even makes it to shelves it will be through a bribe.the Etna and its twin for att both have a major unfixable flaw that will plaque it forever.too bad as I like it's concept.its basically a ggalaxyS with motos XOOMs guts.almost exact!.I been using them as door stops since they are far from ready to be used daily.too bad I couldn't hand them out as hockey pucks.

If it was given the proper dev time then I would feel differently.but knowing it'll be rushed makes it a pass and wait for the droid X refresh or the Droid3.good luck with that sig of yours.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
My quad core laptop runs at, I think 1.6ghz (turbo boost to like 2.2, but not with all 4 running)...And it's hotter than hell. I just wonder how they handle the heat in these phones putting those kind of processors in.

Put enough ram with that chip and you have a phone truly capable of replacing a tablet and/or desktop, although the OS would still have to catch-up.

Anyway, this just validates the need to pay the little extra $$$ to get on a 1-yr contract.

Reaction score
My quad core laptop runs at, I think 1.6ghz (turbo boost to like 2.2, but not with all 4 running)...And it's hotter than hell. I just wonder how they handle the heat in these phones putting those kind of processors in.

Put enough ram with that chip and you have a phone truly capable of replacing a tablet and/or desktop, although the OS would still have to catch-up.

Anyway, this just validates the need to pay the little extra $$$ to get on a 1-yr contract.

Chances are it will be heavily under clocked to keep the heat down, so if it says 1.5ghz then it may be a max clock with proper cooling of say 2.5-3ghz.

I can see it in a few years a large 24" monitor hooked up to this phone via hdmi and playing some type of game like cod or battlefield 2

sb1831

Reaction score
Time to start buying my handsets outright from VZW... Only makes sense with the level of progression thats going on.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score

A lot of it has to do with the size and design, it's much easier to cool a chip that can fit on your pinky and is 1mm thin VS the 4 times as large, power hungry processor found on your laptop and mine. These things are designed to sip power, and as such don't get as hot at equal clocks because less power is used to fuel them.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
A lot of it has to do with the size and design, it's much easier to cool a chip that can fit on your pinky and is 1mm thin VS the 4 times as large, power hungry processor found on your laptop and mine. These things are designed to sip power, and as such don't get as hot at equal clocks because less power is used to fuel them.

Does that mean such a chip is inferior in some way, or not really equivalent to a quad core PC chip? Or is this just advanced technology and we can expect similar in the PC (I don't know, maybe next gen quad core isn't nearly as hot).

I gotta buy a pad or something. The heat on this laptop is just too much. I need the power, but the heat is enough to make me upgrade long before it dies. I probably should just get a cheap netbook for surfing and whatnot.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
With the quad core pc does it read out a cpu temp? Kinda curious to get an idea of what these quad core temps are

Sent from my rooted D2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
With the quad core pc does it read out a cpu temp? Kinda curious to get an idea of what these quad core temps are

Sent from my rooted D2

I don't have a temp, but let me put it this way....hot enough to burn bare skin after several seconds.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's hot for a computer and the cpu. The tegra phone must be low voltage or be way underclocked

Sent from my rooted D2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's hot for a computer and the cpu. The tegra phone must be low voltage or be way underclocked

Sent from my rooted D2

It probably only needs that power if docked or HDMI out for videos. And in that case, assuming it doesn't damage the phone in any way, the CPU could be cranked up and getting hot wouldn't be an issue. But probably a scary issue where if something malfunctions people end-up with their leg (pocket) or hand getting burned.

I'm really not sure phones needs quad core, unless the idea is to balance speed/power with underclocking and multi-tasking multiple cores. Computer don't really need quad core, either, unless you are running spreadsheets or video editing where there are gains to be made from calculations in parallel. Games, too, but give me a dual-core 1.5ghz and it will suit me as a laptop replacement for my personal needs (and most work needs, too).