Now you saw the sgs3, will you buy their next nexus

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Give me a killer experience OTB that I don't HAVE to flash ROMS to enjoy the phone and I'm there. Right now, in my opinion, stock is a giant bore fest after seeing the presentation. Lets see what the other manufacturers can cook up and what Google does with their next iteration of Android.

I just don't see how you feel you HAVE to flash to have an interesting set up, it's just not the case. Nothing Samsung revealed is revolutionary and many apps can already do similar things. You didn't specifically mention which features you liked so I can't compare/contrast obviously.

I believe you'll find you're the minority thinking that Touchwiz is a good addition to stock android. Most everyone who uses stock android agrees that it's much better than any of the skins that manufacturers use, not to mention they usually perform worse as well. But I know you've said you like the current blur, which is just atrocious(opinion), so maybe you enjoy the extra animations and doodads that manufacturers put into android to try to differentiate themselves from one another. Personally, I think it's the downfall of Android as an OS.

I think the main thing is stock ICS is already interesting and fun, it doesn't need things "baked" into it, if someone wants these things they can easily add them if they want, but don't force them among people because the majority don't/won't use them.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
What's ur 5 favorite things they did than??? The siri rip off... The touch the screen and rotate to activate the camera that takes longer than unlocking and hitting the button lol! What features do u like cuz I don't see any good 1s
It's the overall package of how they are presenting Android. I don't have a favorite feature per se. The whole Android package is a win. They have focused on what was much needed...SOFTWARE and they did an awesome job. This phone makes the iPhone look dated now I think. You? iPhone has always been a great alternative to Android, now it's lagging (maybe the new iPhone wil change that) Hardware is a lost cause nowadays (when it comes to smartphones) somebody is always going to come out with something better. You will never have the latest and greatest for very long. Software on the other hand, software is where it's at and software is where Samsung scored on this one.

I will make a prediction. The SG3 will dominate the Android mobile space in 2012 with Apple's iPhone being its only competitor. Anyone want to make a gentlemans bet on this? No money just a " I told you so!" :cool-b:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Quantity of sales doesn't mean much, if it did, your argument would look pretty stupid when looking at Iphone sales.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I actually think there is room in this world for both stock and the extra "eye candy". Not every one look at vanilla ics and smile. Me personally I think stock ics is nice and possibly google's best foot forward in making vanilla android pleasing to the eye and with the added performance finally a step closer and giving android users an awesome stock experience.Lets be honest, most nexus users bought the nexus for one reason: freedom to rom and got an added bonus with the new look and feel of ics which is improving at a respectible rate. But that is my opinion. But I also like the manufacturer's ui I think there is a place for it. I was one who hated everything about blur then I had a chance to sample the blur for ics (early stages) and I was blown away at the improvement. Sense and the earlier stages of blur ics looks awesome and is a nice addition to ics imo. Touchwiz took a huge step backward look wise. The other area I like that manufacturers are doing is what they are adding to android. Though adding bloat motoprint, smart actions, and other cool features these oems are working on to me is great for the entire ecosystem and growth of android. Those that buy the nexus we bought it because we want the phone stock clean and with out bloat (which ironically the nexus come with all of google's bloat.. but atleast you can remove it). We want a phone we can mold and change to fit us and not have the manufacturer tell us what we want. That is all good but there are customers who actually want the extra stuff and features.

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
I am only impressed with the SGIIIs performance numbers. As far as the phone itself looks and the lack of updates to the screen, not so much. If Samsung is to base their next Nexus design on the SGIII, they need to do a few things:

1) Super Amoled+ Retina display with PLS.
2) 2GB of RAM. Might as well. It will show up in numerous phones later on.
3) Have the LTE radios combined with the CPU/GPU SOC. This should help some with battery consumption.
4) Definitely have the best GPU available unlike the Gnex.
5) No physical home button like the Gnex.
6) SD card slot
7) Cameras. You know what? More megapixels isn't the answer. Better camera hardware is. Better low light operation. Better shutter. Better lense(s). Anything over 5MP is overkill on a cell phone. Improve the hardware.

I'm sure I could think of more, but this is just what I came up with on the fly. The next Nexus should be king of the hill when it gets released and have the latest hardware specs. The Galaxy Nexus was a refreshed Galaxy II with an updated screen. The next Nexus has to be more than that.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am only impressed with the SGIIIs performance numbers. As far as the phone itself looks and the lack of updates to the screen, not so much. If Samsung is to base their next Nexus design on the SGIII, they need to do a few things:

1) Super Amoled+ Retina display with PLS.
2) 2GB of RAM. Might as well. It will show up in numerous phones later on.
3) Have the LTE radios combined with the CPU/GPU SOC. This should help some with battery consumption.
4) Definitely have the best GPU available unlike the Gnex.
5) No physical home button like the Gnex.
6) SD card slot
7) Cameras. You know what? More megapixels isn't the answer. Better camera hardware is. Better low light operation. Better shutter. Better lense(s). Anything over 5MP is overkill on a cell phone. Improve the hardware.

I'm sure I could think of more, but this is just what I came up with on the fly. The next Nexus should be king of the hill when it gets released and have the latest hardware specs. The Galaxy Nexus was a refreshed Galaxy II with an updated screen. The next Nexus has to be more than that.

I agree with everything you said, minus #5 since the Nexus didn't have one ;)

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
I agree with everything you said, minus #5 since the Nexus didn't have one ;)
Exactly. The SGIII has a physical home button. The Gnex does not. Hence my comment, "5) No physical home button like the Gnex."
I could have probably made it more clear by adding 'just' between button and like.

pool_shark

Reaction score
So here it is, I was hoping this kind of thing would eventually stop. You know, the my phone is better, the new kid has this or that but so what, blah blah blah.

When the Bionic came out Droid X users put it down, when the Razr came out Bionic users put it down, when the Nexus came out, Razr owners put it down, now the SGIII comes out, Nexus owners are putting it down.

Sad.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
So here it is, I was hoping this kind of thing would eventually stop. You know, the my phone is better, the new kid has this or that but so what, blah blah blah.

When the Bionic came out Droid X users put it down, when the Razr came out Bionic users put it down, when the Nexus came out, Razr owners put it down, now the SGIII comes out, Nexus owners are putting it down.

Sad.

Perhaps we should switch to less controversial topics like politics or religion?! ;)

captdroid

Reaction score
Not I putting down the sgiii happy with my Gnex simply no interest at this time another phone

nleksan

Reaction score
I bought this phone believing that it was the only phone available, and would be for some time, that I could truly see myself keeping for 2 full years without feeling outdated... AND I STILL FEEL THAT WAY.

Jumping on the quad-core bandwagon now is a bad idea; anyone remember when WiFi Draft-N products first began appearing? Sure, there were some speed benefits, but after a year or two the hardware was infinitely improved - that is how I see quad-core phones ATM.

I would like the next (or two from now) Nexus to have the following:
- 4.8-5.0" display, Super HD Amoled+ (or whatever it's called) @ ~400ppi
- 1.8-2.2ghz Quad-Core (plus One) CPU with improved dynamic scaling (per-core), 128KB L1 cache/core + 512KB L2 cache/core + 1-3MB L3 cache/core
- 2-4GB dual-/quad-channel RAM
- 1Ghz+ GPU with 16-48 cores, heavily threaded, with dedicated 512-1024MB GDDR5 V-RAM, and as part of SOC will be scaled/"controlled" by fifth core of CPU
- 2800mAh+ Battery, it's time for some new battery tech! I want slim, crazy life, and <1% capacity loss per 10,000hrs of use
- WiFi-ac (is that the Gbit Wifi?) support with AT LEAST 3x3 antennas/radios, up to 6x6
- DisplayPort or equivalent technology Output
- USB3.0 support
- 64-128GB of Onboard Memory, Synchronous NAND Flash Chips; also support for up to 512GB+ SD-format cards (500Mbs read/write)

Oh, and I don't want any Keep Awake bugs, or any sh!t like that...

A true, high-quality camera would be nice, as would support for multi-bracket exposures (for true HDR photos, compiled real-time in phone)

Now, is that too much to ask??? ;)