Notice any throttling?

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Verizon's website implies 4G devices are exempt from 3G throttling... Just seeing if this is true, I'm seeing 1X like speeds on 3G, so I'm a bit concerned :/ data usage is about 3GB so far this month.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Phoenix111

Reaction score
I just posted about this in the general Droid news forum. My question was would we thunderbolt owners be throttled if we are in a 3g only area? BTW, I also have the $30 unlimited tethering plan.

DroidXCBR

Reaction score
Verizon's website implies 4G devices are exempt from 3G throttling... Just seeing if this is true, I'm seeing 1X like speeds on 3G, so I'm a bit concerned :/ data usage is about 3GB so far this month.

I used 23gb last month up to 7 this month still fast and I live in a 3g but work in 4g I haven't noticed a diffrence.

Blacksheep427

Reaction score
similar circumstance

I just posted about this in the general Droid news forum. My question was would we thunderbolt owners be throttled if we are in a 3g only area? BTW, I also have the $30 unlimited tethering plan.

I, too, have been wondering about this. I find myself in a similar situation, mostly 3G, unlimited phone and hotspot, but throw in some 1X a well. The 1X area is due to go 4G this month if on schedule. I used about 5.5 GB combined last month, have noticed down/up data rates being extremely slow on 3G. I have yet to notice some common denominator at those slow times. N/A on current use tally.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Throttling is not to be worried about by most people.

It is unlikely you are in the top percentile of data hogs.

You are not a data hog if you simply use your device a lot. If you download movies all day long every day then maybe.....

foxdroid

Reaction score
I noticed that in a high congestion area with 4G, my speeds on 3G there are HORRID. But, when traveling, I go out in the country in Nevada, and guess what? 3G is nearly as fast as 4G out there. When I'm forced to use 3G here it's painfully slow (worse than AOL dialup back in the day)...

porsche996

Reaction score
Throttling is not to be worried about by most people.

It is unlikely you are in the top percentile of data hogs.

You are not a data hog if you simply use your device a lot. If you download movies all day long every day then maybe.....

Verizon says on their webpage that the "upper 5%" that will be throttled are people using >2Gb/month. Sorry, but 2 GB is hit in a freaking hurry, even without downloading movies... My wife uses about 3 GB each month on her OG Droid, and all she goes to regularly is a messageboard and facebook...

I don't think Verizon is going to throttle just the "upper 5%". I think they're going to throttle anybody over their basic tier level for data, 2Gb, regardless of what the true upper 5% limit is, as after 2GB, they aren't making more money off that user anymore. They want people to switch to their tiered plan and drop unlimited...this is the way to try to convince unlimited users to pay more money and not be concerned with speed anymore.

SilentO

Reaction score
Verizon says on their webpage that the "upper 5%" that will be throttled are people using >2Gb/month. Sorry, but 2 GB is hit in a freaking hurry, even without downloading movies... My wife uses about 3 GB each month on her OG Droid, and all she goes to regularly is a messageboard and facebook...

I don't think Verizon is going to throttle just the "upper 5%". I think they're going to throttle anybody over their basic tier level for data, 2Gb, regardless of what the true upper 5% limit is, as after 2GB, they aren't making more money off that user anymore. They want people to switch to their tiered plan and drop unlimited...this is the way to try to convince unlimited users to pay more money and not be concerned with speed anymore.

I have the HTC Thunderbolt with 4G LTE. I have noticed a huge drop in my speed. Before the gingerbread update, i was getting 14-20MB/s but now with the updated gingerbread, i'm barely getting 7MB. Anyone?

slinky

Reaction score
Is Gingerbread officially out? I haven't received the download yet... I guess it is but I haven't updated yet. Crazy is that a Skype hack by some developer allowed the FFC to work 6 months ago.

rbw62

Reaction score
Same here, and I do not use much data, I have wifi comcast@ over 21 down and 7_12 up.

jr57

Reaction score
o yeah they throttle

i use 6gb last month, when i'm in 4g in a heavy trafficed area it's a tad slow but that is expected. But when i'm in 3g in the same area i here "verizon wireless" like 5 times in a row then go check and relize i'm gettin 1g speeds... i think they are telling me when thy're throttling me... anybody else notice...im in the D.C. area by the way

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
After further observation, I go to 1x alomost every day, particularly if I'm tethering for a long period of time... mind you I do not stream Netflix or anything these days, I'm working on setting up repeaters around my house so xfinity can make it to the whole house... anyways with light streaming I notice an eventual demotion to 1x
... Of course sometimes I get that data icon disappears thing too where I lose my data connection altogether or it switches from 3G to 1x and eventually back again... I never had problems on Vegas' 4G, so hopefully for us thunderbolt owners this problem will end sooner rather than later...

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Wow Verizon is losing it ... they're turning into AT&$hit ... Well when I get 4G I just might overshoot 120GB if not to just see what will happen, perhaps the space time continuum will rip?