Is Verizon Throttling YouTube Vids?

zero7404

Reaction score
Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Your YouTube videos are delayed basically and you think it's deliberately done by Verizon.

It's so absurd I don't know what else to say. Verizon IMHO has never shown any indications of delivering anything else but top quality service.

Could it be possible it's with the server at the other end?

ive been watching your posts over time ... your comment here it sounds like you dont have depth of perception to the issue being posted. maybe you havent experienced this with your services in your location, but others have. i wouldnt ever say a company is not capable of willingly doing something like this, because in the real world in fact many companies are capable of this and more. the honest consumer acts as a sort of police to keep the foul play curbed. its our money and we demand the services we pay for AS THEYVE BEEN ADVERTISED.

back to this topic: i was in bayside ny last night and youtube worked better. clips downloaded even when play was paused. but unpausing didnt always continue playback. there is some throttling going on or the packet data timeouts are interrupting the app functionality.

sent via wireless device

Bilgediver

Reaction score
It could be that there are more people connected to your tower? We won't get drops in service like at&t but bandwidth is bandwidth, and towers are still connected via cable (or is it fiberoptics?). I myself haven't noticed any slowdowns personally but I do notice slightly worse transmission rates during the day at the norfolk navy base than at ten at night. Around ten pm I've notice my speed has increased by at least a factor of 3. I can still connect but its at a slower rate (no dropped calls though, in your face at&t).

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Everyone needs to remember that service varies for MANY different factors. Yes VZW is going to throttle (for lack of a better word) certain types of traffic in highly congested or poorly serviced areas to allow more consistent dataflow through their network across all users. Why should someone just checking something via their browser or using their GPS not be able to do so because other's want to watch videos... people are under the stupid impression that VZW (and more importantly their towers) have ENDLESS bandwidth... guess what THEY DON'T so yes they have extensive algorithms and policies in place to figure out who to throttle and when to keep the network (or at least any one particular tower at a given time) from crashing or being to heavily bottle-necked. So if the tower in your area is under heavy load guess what, everyone is going to suffer a little and some will get priority over others (e.g. GPS users likely over someone watching YouTube)... Your home ISP does the same thing, as does the IT department at your work ect.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Everyone needs to remember that service varies for MANY different factors. Yes VZW is going to throttle (for lack of a better word) certain types of traffic in highly congested or poorly serviced areas to allow more consistent dataflow through their network across all users. Why should someone just checking something via their browser or using their GPS not be able to do so because other's want to watch videos... people are under the stupid impression that VZW (and more importantly their towers) have ENDLESS bandwidth... guess what THEY DON'T so yes they have extensive algorithms and policies in place to figure out who to throttle and when to keep the network (or at least any one particular tower at a given time) from crashing or being to heavily bottle-necked. So if the tower in your area is under heavy load guess what, everyone is going to suffer a little and some will get priority over others (e.g. GPS users over someone watching YouTube)... Your home ISP does the same thing, as does the IT department at your work ect.
+1.

bandwidth is still finite.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App