Verizon "Testing Video Optimization" Caught Throttling Netflix and Youtube

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Why? It was said they were aiming to throttle at 10Mbps on streaming video, which is more than enough for Super HD. That's kind of like saying it's wrong for auto companies to put a governor on your car limiting it to 120mph.
What they were trying to do and what they do and get caught doing are completely different...

Sent using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Now, granted, VZW allows a good bit of tethering on some of the newer plans, and so people could legitimately be looking to tether a 4k video to their tv. But I don't think any of their plans go over 25GB of tethering a month, which would only get you about 30 minutes of a 4k movie! I think these newer plans said you COULD be throttled after 22GB, so not much of a leg to stand on here.

So, once again, either this crying is coming from abusers or [equally likely] VZW had problems with their test at 10Mbps.
You can't actually be supporting VZW, if 1080p takes only 7mbps why would verizon need to throttle or "optimize" if 4k takes as much data, even people who are tethering won't be able to for long. Big Red isn't supposed to do this stuff and they got caught with their hands in the cookie jar. I don't care WHY they were doing it, they should've let everyone know ahead of time.

Honestly how hard would it have been for them to say something to the affect of.

"We are testing some new software to help prevent people from streaming 4k content through illegal tethering and are attempting to cap the netflix streams at 10mpbs which is 3mpbs higher than netflix recommends for 1080p streams. We apologize for any hiccups during the testing"

Honestly how hard would that have been, instead did these tests and when they were caught they made up some BS story about what they were doing.

THAT IS MY PROBLEM with the entire situation.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
don't forget that verizon also provides home fiber service. and if they can get away with throttling here they will also abuse it at homes.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You can't actually be supporting VZW, if 1080p takes only 7mbps why would verizon need to throttle or "optimize" if 4k takes as much data

New unlimited plans say you can be throttled after 22GB. Old UDP is not allowed to tether.

4K video takes a minimum of 25mbps, and about 30 minutes of 4k will blow you past that 22GB. It's completely unnecessary on mobile devices, and this is just experiments in network optimization to keep spikes in 4k video demand from crushing bandwidth availability.

Again, I don't see the issue and, as usual, none of the VZW bashers can explain it to me it's just "BAHHHH!!!! VZW BAD!!!!"

R

RETG

Not sure about that statement of 30 minutes of 4K will blow past 22GB of usage. I used over 10 hours of Netflix 4K on my TV one week and only used about 75GB of bandwidth, and that included my internet time on my computer (which really does not account for much since it is just forum bouncing; not video/music, etc.)

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
New unlimited plans say you can be throttled after 22GB. Old UDP is not allowed to tether.

4K video takes a minimum of 25mbps, and about 30 minutes of 4k will blow you past that 22GB. It's completely unnecessary on mobile devices, and this is just experiments in network optimization to keep spikes in 4k video demand from crushing bandwidth availability.

Again, I don't see the issue and, as usual, none of the VZW bashers can explain it to me it's just "BAHHHH!!!! VZW BAD!!!!"
I can explain myself and I did... I'm not complaining, I love the new unlimited plans and not having to hack my way to tether and having MY ENTIRE PLAN unlimited EVERYTHING is wonderful... I've used between 16 and 30 gb regularly and haven't ONCE been throttled. I saved nearly $150 per month... they finally did something right.

then this.... they didn't send an email, they didn't tell ANYONE they were doing it. they got caught and they are backpeddling, that's my problem with it.

CKD2

Reaction score
T Mobile jump?

If my vids start slowing noticably, I'm finally out.

I can deal with 480p but not throttled speeds

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk