Note 4 and the stock calculator . . .

BuccoDroid

Reaction score
Veteran Note user here. Been on board with Note 2, Note 3 and Note 4. Have had the N4 like 10 days. Not a lot of difference between it and N3 but I still love the N4. Will find other difference I'm sure.

Only one problem with the N4 that I did not have with the N2 or N3 and that is with the stock calculator. Seems that with the N4 when I hit a key on the calculator app I get a verbal response from the device. So when I touch the number 8 the device responds by saying "eight". Never had this with the other Notes and the S3 I had before them.

Anyone else have this problem? Have to say it is a nuisance to have this happen when you use the calculator. I have gone to an aftermarket app from the playstore but I sure would like the stock calculator back working like it did with my other Notes.

Any help getting this issue fixed would be appreciated.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
While I haven't experienced this issue, I've read about others who have.

First, make sure you have talking features turned off under Accessibility (Settings - Accessibility - Vision - Talkback). If that is off, or if turning it off doesn't help, make sure that other Accessibility features are turned off. Many online are reporting that this fixes the issue for them. Clearing the cache and data for Samsung TTS and Google TTS has also been noted to help.

Others are encountering the issue when they have specific apps installed. Jonny Kansas had to uninstall the app Last Pass from his Note 4 in order to get it to stop (you can see the discussion about it here). Some have noted the issue with Pushbullet and Pebble installed. I'm using Pushbullet and haven't ever experienced the issue though.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

First, make sure you have talking features turned off under Accessibility (Settings - Accessibility - Vision - Talkback). If that is off, or if turning it off doesn't help, make sure that other Accessibility features are turned off. Many online are reporting that this fixes the issue for them. Clearing the cache and data for Samsung TTS and Google TTS has also been noted to help.

Others are encountering the issue when they have specific apps installed. Jonny Kansas had to uninstall the app Last Pass from his Note 4 in order to get it to stop (you can see the discussion about it here). Some have noted the issue with Pushbullet and Pebble installed. I'm using Pushbullet and haven't ever experienced the issue though.
Beat me to it! I read this post this morning as I was heading out the door and planned to return when I got to work. Couldn't have given any more info or advice than this.

OP
BuccoDroid

BuccoDroid

Reaction score

Thanks bsweetness for your help. Had LastPass installed so I uninstalled it and the problem went away. Then I reinstalled LastPass and the problem came back. So I guess I continue with the after market calculator app I have downloaded from PlayStore.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thanks bsweetness for your help. Had LastPass installed so I uninstalled it and the problem went away. Then I reinstalled LastPass and the problem came back. So I guess I continue with the after market calculator app I have downloaded from PlayStore.
Glad to know it's still a problem. I got in on a killer deal where I ended up with at least a year of LastPass for free. It was kinda buggy anyway. It would always pop up the prompt for PIN at random times and then never seemed to launch when I actually could've used it to autofill something. I went back to using just a local password bank app (mSecure). It's super plain, but I can put my info in there and lock it and it's not in the cloud. Would be nice if LastPass worked as advertised though, since it's encrypted every which way and super handy on the PC to put in the password and just click to login.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure which aftermarket calculator you have but if you want one that can mimic multi screen try this free one. I started using it before multi screen apps came to fruition on Android.
AirCalc On-Screen calculator - Android Apps on Google Play

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
BuccoDroid

BuccoDroid

Reaction score
Not sure which aftermarket calculator you have but if you want one that can mimic multi screen try this free one. I started using it before multi screen apps came to fruition on Android.
AirCalc On-Screen calculator - Android Apps on Google Play

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Thanks for the suggestion on aftermarkedt calculators. I found one that I like very much. Tried AirCalc but did not like the multi screen feature. I don't use multi screen anyway so this one does not suit me.