Note 4 Bluetooth and Lock Screens . . .

BuccoDroid

Reaction score
Had this problem with my N2, N3 and now my N4. I can't use my bluetooth headset when the screen is locked. In order to use it I need to unlock the screen.

This is a problem because I use my N4 with a bluetooth headset while I am driving very frequently. So having to pull over and unlock the phone while I am driving is not always possible and never very convenient.

Have deactivated the lock screen feature but don't really feel safe doing that. Any suggestions on how if possible to get around the lock screen when making a call using bluetooth headset?

Thanks for any help.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hmm...I have bluetooth earbuds that work just fine and have had no issue with my bluetooth speaker.

What exactly can you not do with the screen locked? Answer calls? Initiate them?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Only thing I see that might be the cause is encrypt device under security settings. Do you have the device set to require a password at wake? Not lock screen settings but Security.
afaa2272ed545dfb107691430cdaab10.jpg

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
BuccoDroid

BuccoDroid

Reaction score
Thanks to you both for your suggestions. I do not have any encryption set up on the N4. All I tried to do was set up a lock screen using the insecure swipe to unlock option and also the pattern unlock option. In each case the screen lock kept me from accessing the calling feature on the phone using a bluetooth headset and "hands free" calling.

As for the brand of headset, I am using a Plantronics Voyager Legend. Have also tried a very uncomfortable Samsung headset. Neither worked.

Don't know if I mentioned this in my OP but I have had this same problem with my N2 and my N3. I guess there is just no way to use the phone when it has its screen locked. I guess being able make a call with the screen locked is defeating the purpose of the screen lock.