Note 2 or Note 3 choice from a Iphone user

dfdtruckie

Reaction score
I'm looking to leave the iphone and jump to the Note line. I really like the larger display of the notes but want your opinions and recommendations. I have seen the N2 going from $99-149 and want to know if the N3 is worth price difference. Would I be better served getting the older model since either model would be a major upgrade from my Iphone3g model(don't laugh). Did any of you go from the N2 to N3? Or not did you come from a different model entirely?

Thank you

grumpy

Reaction score
just went from an Iphone 4s to the note 3(coming today). I chose the note 3 for the 32g,13 megapixal camera,better screen resolution. I also likes how it fits in my hand.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Welcome aboard and good luck with your decision...

If you can afford to get the Note 3, that is what I would do - however, the Note 2 is still a great phone (I have had the Note series since the original) and should have my Note 3 today. It really comes down to personal preference and hopefully you can find a store with both on display and get a feel for them before you make your final decision...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I chose the 2 over the 3 because although the 3 has more RAM more this, more that, the Note2 still screams performance. In essence it was do I want super super duper at a higher price or super duper at a lesser price.
I really don't think either would be a bad choice at this point and the Note2 is getting the Android 4.3 in the near future so that difference becomes moot.
I carry a point and shoot camera most places anyway.
External SD card capability caused me to not really need the more internal. I've had a 16gb Nexus7 tablet for over a year with no problem of memory running out. Most of my memory usage is music, photos and documents which I put on the external.
The s pen features aren't all that different, neither is a huge leap over the others.
The extra do dads on the 3 I've already gotten the apks loaded onto my 2
I have no regrets

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

Last edited:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Welcome to the forum....you are in good hands with either phone...if the money is not too far off I'd go N3 if my choice today...but I love my N2 plus at Mark stated it will be seeing update to 4.3

jseah

Reaction score
Unless the difference in price is a deal breaker for you, I would recommend the Note 3 over the Note 2. The advantages are:

1. 3 GB of RAM versus 2 GB
2. 32 GB of internal memory versus 16 GB (this is important since you cannot install apps on external memory)
3. Quad core CPU versus dual core (important only for those spec geeks, although it will stave off obsolescence in the future)
4. 13 megapixel camera versus 8 megapixel

As for native apps, I heard that many of the Note 3 apps will eventually find their way to the Note 2, but I doubt everything will. I don't know if air view can be ported down (this may be personal preference, but air view is pretty neat).

huskur

Reaction score
Unless the difference in price is a deal breaker for you, I would recommend the Note 3 over the Note 2. The advantages are:

1. 3 GB of RAM versus 2 GB
2. 32 GB of internal memory versus 16 GB (this is important since you cannot install apps on external memory)
3. Quad core CPU versus dual core (important only for those spec geeks, although it will stave off obsolescence in the future)
4. 13 megapixel camera versus 8 megapixel

As for native apps, I heard that many of the Note 3 apps will eventually find their way to the Note 2, but I doubt everything will. I don't know if air view can be ported down (this may be personal preference, but air view is pretty neat).

I am in agreement with Jseah. Though he has one incorrect difference...the Note 2 is 1.6 Ghz quad core.

I have the Note 2 and Note 3. Note 3 is a cut above for the $$$ difference though your experience coming from an iPhone will be mindblowing with either phone.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've got 120+ apps on my Note2 using just under 2gb of space. Are there apps that use gobs of space I'm not aware of? The biggest one I've got is Audubon Birds but most of its extra data (500MB)can be stored on the SD card.
That could make a difference to the op and I don't want to steer them wrong.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate

jseah

Reaction score
I've got 120+ apps on my Note2 using just under 2gb of space. Are there apps that use gobs of space I'm not aware of? The biggest one I've got is Audubon Birds but most of its extra data (500MB)can be stored on the SD card.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate

I agree that for most people 16 GB versus 32 GB won't make much difference, but as time goes on and Android gets bigger and bigger, it can. Of the 16 GB in my Note 2, I only have 6 GB free.

jseah

Reaction score
I am in agreement with Jseah. Though he has one incorrect difference...the Note 2 is 1.6 Ghz quad core.

My bad. I forgot what CPU was in the Note 2. There was also a difference between the US and non-US models, correct? Wasn't the US model a Snapdragon processor and the international model an Exynos processor?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree that for most people 16 GB versus 32 GB won't make much difference, but as time goes on and Android gets bigger and bigger, it can. Of the 16 GB in my Note 2, I only have 6 GB free.

Is that all apps you've got stored?
I also forgot 16gb doesn't translate to anywhere near 16gb usable. It's more like 10 usable after Samsung non removable ,without root , bloat has been added.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

jseah

Reaction score
Is that all apps you've got stored?
I also forgot 16gb doesn't translate to anywhere near 16gb usable. It's more like 10 usable after Samsung non removable ,without root , bloat has been added.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

In the settings menu, it says:

Application - 2.3 GB
Pictures, video - 225 MB
Audio - 296 kB
Downloads - 35.22 MB
Miscellaneous Files - 6.58 GB
Available space - 6.33 GB

I believe that the 6.58 GB of miscellaneous files is the Android operating system.

huskur

Reaction score
My bad. I forgot what CPU was in the Note 2. There was also a difference between the US and non-US models, correct? Wasn't the US model a Snapdragon processor and the international model an Exynos processor?

Correct U.S. variant has the 1.6 Ghz snapdragon while the Non-US has the Exynos ocata core. 98% certain on that...

combatmedic870

Reaction score

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate

Download a couple of game loft games. most are 1-5 GB a piece.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Correct U.S. variant has the 1.6 Ghz snapdragon while the Non-US has the Exynos ocata core. 98% certain on that...

No the note 2 has a 1.6 exynos quad core. all variants. The first octocore was in the S4 non us.

note 3 us has the snap800 2.3 ghz.