Note 2 software update.

jgmecarter

Reaction score
My note 2 just had a software update. I am still on 4.1.1 has anyone else got this update?

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Have u checked apps that use multiwindow? I know they were suppose to update it. I wont take the update just yet cause im on the fence of unlocking and rooting it.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
You guys talking about 4.1.2? You probably wont even notice any difference at all.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Given the size of the update, I'm sure it's primarily a patch for the Exynos exploit that received so much press a few weeks back.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
You guys talking about 4.1.2? You probably wont even notice any difference at all.

No, it's still 4.1.1. It's probably just the exploit patch that has been making the rounds over the past few days.

OP
J

jgmecarter

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Verizon and they said that it helps with the memory and ram. He told me that if my phone is rooted that it should not affect anything. My note 2 is not rooted so I do not know if he was right on that.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I just got off the phone with Verizon and they said that it helps with the memory and ram. He told me that if my phone is rooted that it should not affect anything. My note 2 is not rooted so I do not know if he was right on that.

Many people online are reporting that the update will unroot a rooted device.

jseah

Reaction score
The update is only 7.8 MB in size. I doubt it changes much at all.

OP
J

jgmecarter

Reaction score
Many people online are reporting that the update will unroot a rooted device.

That tells you Verizon tech people know. But thanks for letting me know that I have a couple of friends that rooted there note 2.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Alot of people with rooted phones has had the update failed. Look on XDA

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
That tells you Verizon tech people know. But thanks for letting me know that I have a couple of friends that rooted there note 2.

Since Verizon doesn't want their customers rooting their phones, I wouldn't be surprised if they tell them everything will be fine in an effort to get them to install the update and lose root.

I've been reading that some people were able to successfully restore root access using Voodoo OTA RootKeeper. This is important for me because I was planning on rooting my Note 2 soon (only so that I'll be able to add APN information in order to get data when using a GSM SIM card). I guess I need to go ahead and root and then back it up.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Given the size of the update, I'm sure it's primarily a patch for the Exynos exploit that received so much press a few weeks back.

that's what engadget said

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
that's what engadget said

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Unless I'm completely missing it, as of the time of this post, Engadget hasn't posted a story about this particular update for the Verizon Note 2. Droid-Life has reported on it, but they haven't officially speculated on what it could be.

A patch for the exploit makes the most sense though, given the size, timing, updated kernal, and the fact that it breaks to ability to achieve one-click root with the Exynos exploit method.

The update apparently has a new bootloader in it too, so it might lock the device up for those who have or who might want to have an unlocked bootloader.