Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available - Please help!

jonj123

Reaction score
Hi

I recently purchased a Galaxy Note II on ebay (GT-N7105). When I try updating I get the error "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available". When I check under the phone status it says "modified". Even when I connect it to my laptop the device doesn't get recognized.

Could anyone let me know why this might be the case and what I can do about it.

Many thanks

pool_shark

Reaction score
If I had to guess I would say it's been rooted and has a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP, maybe even a custom ROM.

As for not connecting to the laptop, try the USB cable that came with the device (if possible), and/or make sure you have the right drivers.
My laptop installed the drivers as soon as I plugged it in.

OP
J

jonj123

Reaction score
If I had to guess I would say it's been rooted and has a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP, maybe even a custom ROM.

As for not connecting to the laptop, try the USB cable that came with the device (if possible), and/or make sure you have the right drivers.
My laptop installed the drivers as soon as I plugged it in.

Thanks for your reply. Is there any way that I could revert the phone back to how it was originally?

JazzyDroid4

Reaction score
Go to settings then scroll down to "back up and reset" tap that then once inside tap "factory data reset". HTH :)

Sent from my awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Forum Runner

OP
J

jonj123

Reaction score
Go to settings then scroll down to "back up and reset" tap that then once inside tap "factory data reset". HTH :)

Sent from my awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Forum Runner

Thanks. If I do this, will it no longer show up my device as modified?

pool_shark

Reaction score
Thanks. If I do this, will it no longer show up my device as modified?

No. All that will do is remove the added data. If you have a custom ROM a factory reset will not put the factory ROM back.

I believe going back to stock involves Odin.
In my opinion, you'll do better to keep the custom recovery and custom ROMs instead of any over the air update.

If you're set on going back to stock, this should help.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1930418

OP
J

jonj123

Reaction score
No. All that will do is remove the added data. If you have a custom ROM a factory reset will not put the factory ROM back.

I believe going back to stock involves Odin.
In my opinion, you'll do better to keep the custom recovery and custom ROMs instead of any over the air update.

To be honest I'd rather have the original Samsung ROM instead of any custom ones so I can at least updates my software regularly. Also at the moment as it stands my computer doesn't even pick up my device when connected? Is this problem linked to the fact that the phone might have customs ROM?

Also how do I check to confirm whether the phone is actually rooted/has a custom ROM?

pool_shark

Reaction score
To be honest I'd rather have the original Samsung ROM instead of any custom ones so I can at least updates my software regularly. Also at the moment as it stands my computer doesn't even pick up my device when connected? Is this problem linked to the fact that the phone might have customs ROM?

Also how do I check to confirm whether the phone is actually rooted/has a custom ROM?

I seriously doubt the custom ROM has anything to do with why you can't connect to your PC. Mine didn't connect until I used the cable that came with the phone.

To check if you have a custom ROM go to settings, scroll all the way down to about phone, and the line under kernel version should be the line to say what ROM you're on.

To see if you have a custom recovery, long press the power button and see if you have the option to boot into recovery. If so, do it and see if CWM or TWRP comes up.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2

you should concentrate on fixing the usb issue first, if you cant connect to pc you cant flash it back to stock.
as stated, i would do a factory reset, boot up, enable usb debugging in the development menu, install the latest sammy drivers on your pc, plug in the device and hope it connects.
after you fix the usb, you can move on to flashing back to stock.

OP
J

jonj123

Reaction score
you should concentrate on fixing the usb issue first, if you cant connect to pc you cant flash it back to stock.
as stated, i would do a factory reset, boot up, enable usb debugging in the development menu, install the latest sammy drivers on your pc, plug in the device and hope it connects.
after you fix the usb, you can move on to flashing back to stock.

I don't know why my computer cannot install the drivers. I run windows 7 and when I first connected the phone it said that the driver "qualcomm cdma technologies msm" was not founds. Any suggestions please?

This is a screenshot of the error message:

LzCQmep.png

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I don't know why my computer cannot install the drivers. I run windows 7 and when I first connected the phone it said that the driver "qualcomm cdma technologies msm" was not founds. Any suggestions please?

try this xda-developers - View Single Post - Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM Windows driver
it was in response to your missing driver.
i cant help with the process, i dont have this device and am not familiar with what is explained to do.
hope you understand it.

OP
J

jonj123

Reaction score
try this xda-developers - View Single Post - Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM Windows driver
it was in response to your missing driver.
i cant help with the process, i dont have this device and am not familiar with what is explained to do.
hope you understand it.

Thanks for the link. Unforuntaly the links are not suitable to my need as I currently run on windows 7. I've tried looking around but unfortuntaetly can't find the driver I need. Does anyone know a download link for all the Galaxy Note 2 Drivers please?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2