Not sure if I'm rooted?

JKZ

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and have a couple questions some of you can hopefully help me with.

I recently purchased a used Droid X, coming from my Droid 1. I had rooted my Droid 1 without and difficulty, I have a very basic understanding of rooting however, with the Droid X, I bought I'm not sure if it is rooted. The confusion I have is that I see the superuser icon on it but it doesn't seem to want to run root apps. I get error messages referring to certain files being missing when I try to run root apps.

My current Android version in settings is 2.2.1. If I install Z4Root, will I be able to reroot at this point, or do I need to be sure that it is not rooted first? I just don't want to mess up the phone, seeing that I just got it. If I want to start over with a stock sbf how to I go about finding one? I know they are not allowed to be posted here. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Try downloading Titanium Backup from the market. When you open it does it ask for superuser permissions? If not then you're not rooted.

OP
J

JKZ

Reaction score
I will give that a try. I actually had purchased that and used it on my original Droid.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
J

JKZ

Reaction score
Ok I downloaded Titanium Backup and it asked for Superuser permission. Everything worked fine, I guess Im rooted and didn't even know it! Thanks, that was simple.

echonaut

Reaction score
Also, a more direct way of checking would be to simply check if the Superuser app is installed on your phone. If it is, you're rooted. If it isn't, you're not.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Or you could download terminal emulator and type in su and hit enter!

OP
J

JKZ

Reaction score
OK so I've found that the phone is rooted which is great for now.

However, if I ever want to go back to stock, does it matter which method I use to unroot? I have no idea which method was used to root the phone since I bought it this way.