Questions About Rooting my DROID X

KSR

Reaction score
Well I have a few quick questions about rooting my DROID X that I'd like answers to. :)

1. I've had my DROID X for about 6 or so months and it is still hooked up through Verizon. Will rooting it disconnect it from Verizon and I'll be unable to call, text, or use the 3G? My DROID X is running Android Version 2.2.1, just incase that matters any.

2. I want it rooted only because I want to be able to do the wifi tethering (to be a hotspot) without the extra monthly fee from Verizon. This is possible through rooting, correct? I only want to root to be able to use hotspot.

3. Will this delete all of my already installed apps that I have on my phone?

Please respond ASAP, I'll greatly appreciate it. :)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'd highly recommend doing more research on what "rooting" actually means before doing it :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
K

KSR

Reaction score
Doesn't it basically give you administrative abilities over your phone and lets you change all sorts of settings that you couldn't while you were not rooted. That "overclocking" and all of those good things, but I want it simply for wifi tether. :)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Exactly. It doesn't change anything but what you have access to.

Doesn't it basically give you administrative abilities over your phone and lets you change all sorts of settings that you couldn't while you were not rooted. That "overclocking" and all of those good things, but I want it simply for wifi tether. :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
K

KSR

Reaction score
But is it smart to root, simply to get the wifi tethering?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well, if that's all that you do, you can't really mess up anything. I rooted originally just to overclock. But, when I had Froyo months before it was sent out and saw what COULD be done, I was and still am hooked! None of it is "smart" or dumb, just make sure you know what you're doing, always ask if you have questions, and follow guides to the letter.

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
K

KSR

Reaction score
Could you maybe give me a link to a thread or a video that is the simplest and most "noob-friendly" method to root the DROID X? I have jailbroken an iPod Touch, but that's about it... I'd like the easiest method possible... xD

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
There's a great guide here, I'll dig up the link for you. I also themed Wireless Tether if you'd like that :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
K

KSR

Reaction score
OMG! It worked like a charm! I got it to work and superuser showed up and I got "Barnacle Wifi Tether" working amazingly! Thank you soooo much! :D

Is there anything I should worry about or be warned of with the wifi tether?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No problem! Just don't abuse it.

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
K

KSR

Reaction score
What would you consider to be "abusing it"? I only plan to have my iPod connected to it when I need to connect on Facebook or games that need internet access (i.e. Farm Story, City Story, and such). In all, my iPod Touch may be connected to it maybe 4 hours a day, off an on throughout the day. Is that acceptable? Also, my laptop may be connected for about 3 hours a day, off and on throughout the day. Is this abusing it?

huskur

Reaction score
What would you consider to be "abusing it"? I only plan to have my iPod connected to it when I need to connect on Facebook or games that need internet access (i.e. Farm Story, City Story, and such). In all, my iPod Touch may be connected to it maybe 4 hours a day, off an on throughout the day. Is that acceptable? Also, my laptop may be connected for about 3 hours a day, off and on throughout the day. Is this abusing it?

Perfectly fine use of the wifi tether. You can also not use Barnacle and do a search on google for "android wifi tether" and use the most recent build. I have found that the "google code" wifi tether tends to be faster

OP
K

KSR

Reaction score
Well thank you on the tip of the alternative wifi tether, seems to be working faster already. :)

Also, should there be any other concerns? Like how much is the MAX of use I should use, just so I know... I have the unlimited data plan from Verizon so that shouldn't be too bad, but I wouldn't want them catching on. ;) LOL

Also, I'm a little worried about overheating. It's running about 35C right now, so what level is dangerous? Is there any methods to keep the heat level down? (I am not using any custom ROMS, no overclocking, non of that; I am only using the wifi tether)