Questions about Droid x and future of root for me.

scubieman

Reaction score
I have a rooted droid x with the 2.3.15? software. I run the adw launcher with blackglass theme. You can tell mine is well customized. The question I have for more experience droid users are.

If verizon comes up with new update for droidx will it remove root and be even bigger pain in butt to get back?

How do I avoid my phone ever looking for another verizon update?

I'm kinda concerned about getting verizon updates since some are positive. Is there a way to do this without getting full update or switching ROM's.

Basically I love root and don't want it removed. Yet I don't want custom ROM because I feel way to much needs to be added back on and I want to use my phone before it's back to prefect or if phone crashes and I need verizon's help. Yet again I don't want to miss out on a verizon update that provides further programs to play with on phone.

Anyone else have similiar concerns with a rooted droidx?

the5barrons

Reaction score
Of course you don't want to lose the custom things you've got invested into your phone. This is the price for having it like that though. This has got to be why vzw doesnt want you to root plus anything else...it makes it exponentially harder to get ota updates to those who have customized to where the phone is nothing like it was...

The way I understand it, and have also accepted myself....if an update comes down the road, you'll have to unroot or sbf 2.2, and then update. If its 3.0 than the process will start again with those who crack rooting, themeing, deodexing, and rom'ing for us so we can continue to enjoy these unwarranted potential bricks of phones a much as we do.

Again, this is just what must done in order to stay customized.

Swyped while being lazy in the DXForumApp

OP
scubieman

scubieman

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.. The way I read that is. If you want customize your going to fight updates and VZW. if you dont want to fight them go to stock OTA.

What ROM you guys using?

the5barrons

Reaction score
I don't believe either Abe not I are running a feature ROM. I am stock for sure....but I am rooted, bgx theme and deodexed. I have no complaints with the stock rom...although I'd probably think different if I tried one...

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't believe either Abe not I are running a feature ROM. I am stock for sure....but I am rooted, bgx theme and deodexed. I have no complaints with the stock rom...although I'd probably think different if I tried one...

same here. black glass deodexed but thats about it.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Any update will break root, make it harder to get back. Any customizing you do to your phone will make it harder to update. This is, has been, and always will be.

Jolly

Reaction score
We had similar issues with the D1 and they always said you can't reroot and someone always found a way. But honestly once the SBF is leaked or released to the public what's the point in OTA because one of the Devs will make it better.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App