How to root a Droid X (worked for me)

danCBR1Krr

Reaction score
I was reading about freezing apps. I just rooted and got droid x bootstrap and titanium backup pro. When I go into TBP and select batch it asks me if I want to backup all user apps, backup all system data, or backup all user apps+system data. Which should I do?

MonKENy

Reaction score
I was reading about freezing apps. I just rooted and got droid x bootstrap and titanium backup pro. When I go into TBP and select batch it asks me if I want to backup all user apps, backup all system data, or backup all user apps+system data. Which should I do?

• Verify that Titanium Backup has started without warning and that your busybox is OK
  • Click the Backup/Restore tab
  • Click Menu (the button), Batch
  • Click "Backup all user apps" (if you want just your apps) or "Backup all user apps + system data" if you want everything backed up
  • Let it run, then go back
  • Individually backup the system data you want. That is most green-colored items. This will be bookmarks, call log, calendar, launcher, WiFi, etc.
  • Now your backups are in the "TitaniumBackup" directory on your SD card
TB - User's guide : Titanium Backup - Wiki

JB4times4

Reaction score
I followed these instructions completely and still do not have root. It said root completed or whatever then restarting phone. Once my phone restarted I still was unrooted. I'm running Version.2.3.340.MB810
I verified I wasn't rooted by trying to run a few different root apps I have, such as drocap2.
Any ideas?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Did you run Temporary Root or Permanent Root?

DroidForums Junkie!!

JB4times4

Reaction score
Permanent of course!
I was rooted before the 2.2 update using the 1click root file on my phone but I have had no success rooting on 2.2

RKramden

Reaction score
try rooting the old fashioned way....using Ro0oLeR's Root Guide, he walks you through rooting using terminal emulator. That's the way I rooted the first 2 times (pre & post OTA). It's a bit tedious, but gets the job done. I used Z4 after I recovered from bricking my phone....long story...but I had to run in about 4~5 times with battery pulls before it finally took. If I had a print-out of the steps (I was at work at the time) I would have did it with terminal emulator again.

DeRangedMind

Reaction score
Okay so I rooted my Droid X but then I hear ppl taking about bloatware and Titanium Pro?

Did I just do something to my phone I should have, I really dumb when it comes to this stuff

t4k

Reaction score
Rooting Droid X

So after I install the root, install titanium backup and backup my apps. do I need to install bootstrap and back up the entire phone if I only plan on using root for freezing applications or unstalling applications i know I don't want (like City ID or Skype mobile)? I have no plans of installing ROMs.

Also, when I new update comes out, as I understand it, I will need to un-root the phone then re-root it again, correct? Just want to make sure I have some things clarified before going through the process tomorrow.

Thanks!

RKramden

Reaction score
@T4K, I would install bootstrap and make a nandroid backup JUST IN CASE. Yes, you will need to un-root your phone to receive OTA updates. I, like you, rooted just to ditch the bloatware and found myself interested in the ROMS (after reading many posts about them). Long story short, I set up more than a few roms, even have backups of several so I can switch between them as I get the itch. The one I mainly use however is DarkSlide V4.2. I use the blur version and it's most like the original rom that's already on your phone (just no bloat and streamlined to run faster).