Droid X Bootstrap guide

t.crawford714

Reaction score
I am NOT responsible for anything that happens to your phone during or after this process.

I did not make or have any affiliation with these apps used.

This should be the FIRST thing you do after you root your phone. Especially if you plan on doing ANY modding (overclock, underclocking, ROM, themes, etc)

Learn how to root here.

There is one required thing and another optional thing you may want (it will back up your application data)

The required one

Koush Droid X Bootstrap

The optional one is Titanium Backup, you can find it in the Android Market for free.
WARNING: IF YOU USE TITANIUM BACKUP, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT, RESTORE SYSTEM DATA

Go to your Settings→Applications→Then checkmark “Unknown Sources”

If you downloaded the .apk onto your computer connect your phone, drag the file onto the SD card.

If you downloaded the file onto your phone, go to step #1

TO BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD TO YOUR PHONE GO TO SETTINGS-->APPLICATIONS-->CHECKMARK "UNKNOWN SOURCES"

Step #1—Open your file manager. (I use Astro)

Step #2—Find “DroidXBootstrap” the icon should be a blue computer screen with a gear in front of it.

Step #3—Click on it and select “Open App Manager”

Step #4—Select “Install”

Step #5—If it doesn’t launch the app go back into your file manager, select the bootstrapper again, open app manager, this time hit “Launch”

Step #6—You should have the app open now, a screen with two buttons up on top and then a red streak with the Android guy in it. Hit “Bootstrap Recovery” a text box should pop up that says success, after you gave it superuser/root permissions.

Step #7—Hit “Reboot Recovery” it too should ask for superuser/root permissions, grant them.

Step #8—Hold down the power button power down your phone.

Step #9—Turn your phone back on, it should do the Motorola logo and then a black and green text screen should appear. This is called ClockworkMod Recovery.

Use the volume button to scroll, camera button to enter, and the hard back key to go back.

Step #10—Scroll down to backup and restore, enter

DO NOT PULL THE BATTERY, POWER DOWN, OR ANYTHING STUPID LIKE THAT, JUST LET IT SIT.

Step #11—Select backup, this should end up with white text and a yellow status bar on the bottom. This will go on for a bit (mine took 13 minutes) Now it should kick you back into the main screen.

Step #12—Select reboot system now, it should power off then reboot!

I suggest using a file manager to rename your back up (don't use spaces) I named mine 1.1.11.340 (the "1" was the date and .340 was the system update.

To restore, open bootstrap
#2-click bootstrap recovery
#3-click reboot recovery
It will reboot into clockwork again
#4-go down to backup and restore
#5-this time you're going to click restore.
#6-select the backup you want (hopefully you renamed them) DO NOT BACKUP AN OLD SYSTEM BACKUP like if your running .340 do not backup from a file that you backed up before you took the update.

To delete bootstrap

You will need Root Explorer (you have to buy it from the market)

Uninstall DroidXBootstrap
Go to /system/bin→find hijacker, long press and delete it
Now from /system/bin→find logwrapper, long press and delete it
Now in /system/bin find the logwrapper.bin file, long press and rename it to logwrapper

TITANIUM BACKUP

With Titanium backup I suggest just doing user apps, not system

To backup—

Menu key→Batch→Backup all user apps

To restore—

Menu key→Batch→Restore all apps with data

Hope this helps some people! dancedroid

Last edited:

xliderider

Reaction score
Nice guide. :)

Titanium Backup's System backup can be useful for restoring browser bookmarks, and bluetooth pairing settings. It is best not to restore System Settings en masse especially when going from rom to rom.

OP
t.crawford714

t.crawford714

Reaction score
Nice guide. :)

Titanium Backup's System backup can be useful for restoring browser bookmarks, and bluetooth pairing settings. It is best not to restore System Settings en masse especially when going from rom to rom.

Thanks, can I put your additional info in my guide

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App