Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
[HOW TO] Use Droid X Bootstrap

Requirememts
1. Root
2. Droid X Bootstrap- $2 on Market or free from Koush's website
Download link http://koush.tandtgaming.com//motoro...XBootstrap.apk

Once app is installed, go to your app drawer and click on it. It will ask for Super User permissions, press yes/ok. This will stop it from booting into clockwork after every manual reboot.

How to backup your system
A backup is a snapshot of your system at that moment. This will be vital should you experience any issues modding your phone.

1. Click on Droid X Bootstrap app
2. Click Bootstrap Recovery, then click OK when it says Success
3. Click Reboot Recovery, phone will automatically reboot
4. Once in the black screen with green writing, you will use the side volume rockers to move up and down and then the camera hard key to select.
5. Move down to backup/restore and select it.
6. Move to Backup and select it
The phone will begin to create a full backup (nandroid) of your system, data, and cache. This will take about 5 minutes to generate. After it is finished it will take you back to the main screen. If you want to move back to previous screens use the back hard key.
7. Select reboot system now.
8. You can view your backups in your file manager. There will be a clockworkmod folder where the backups reside. You can change the name of the file, but do not use spaces or odd characters. For example, use a dash - rather than a backslash / for dates.

How to restore a backup
If you have issues with your setup after a ROM or theme install, you can restore a backup made when the system was running correctly.

1. Click on Droid X Bootstrap app
2. Click Bootstrap Recovery, then OK when it says Success
3. Click Reboot Recovery and phone will automatically reboot.
4. When black screen with green writing appears, select backup/restore.
5. Then select Restore.
6. Choose the backup you want to restore. If you don't change the name of the file, they have the date and time stamp as the file name.
7. Select backup and then the phone will begin restoring the backup.
8. When its finished, it will take you to main screen, select reboot system now.

How to install a rom

1. Click Droid X Bootstrap app, hit bootstrap recovery, click ok, then reboot recovery.
2. Go to mounts
2a. (Optional, read instructions on ROM install) Mount system. If system is mounted, prompt will read "unmount system"
3. Format data, click yes
4. Format cache, click yes
5. Back arrow
6. Install zip from sd card
7. Go to folder where zip is. If you downloaded zip from stock browser and didn't move it, it will be in the DOWNLOAD folder.
8. Click on the zip you want to install, then yes.
9. Once install is finished, back arrow, and reboot.

FAQ

1. You can have as many backups as you'd like
2. If you get and md5 sum error, its probably bacause you renamed the file with unrecognized characters.
3. Yes, when you manually reboot it will always go to bootstrap recovery unless you do the very first step after installing. Just select reboot system now.
4. If it does not boot into bootstrap recovery, and you need it to, you can boot into stock recovery and do a factory reset and then restore a backup.

How to boot into stock recovery

Hold power button and and home hard key. When M screen appears, release home key. A screen with a small green Droid and an ! will appear. Push search hard key. Use volume rocker to select wipe data/cache then factory reset.

Thank you to the great Android developer Koushik Dutta for this great app. Follow his ramblings at www.koushikdutta.com.​

OP
Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
How to correctly rename a backup
After successfully doing a backup, it's good practice to go back and rename it for easy record keeping, otherwise its a series of numbers.

1. Go to your file manager
2. Open CLOCKWORKMOD folder
3. Open BACKUPS folder
4. Long press on entry
5. Select edit/rename
6. Rename using dashes not back slashes for dates and underscores not spaces between words. I use date_ROM_feature
EX: 1-5-2010_gummyJAR2.5_throttle

NOTE: You can move backups to PC if you need the room. I always keep at least 2 backups on my phone and the rest on a flash drive or my PC. DO NOT RESTORE BACKUPS OF DIFFERENT SYSTEM VERSIONS

How to remove Droid X Bootstrap/Clockwork Mod through ROOT EXPLORER

1. Click mount r/w
2. DELETE
a) system/bin/hijack
b) system/bin/logwrapper
3. RENAME
a) system/bin/logwrapper.bin
4. TO
a) system/bin/logwrapper

How to remove Droid X Bootstrap/Clockwork Mod through TERMINAL EMULATOR (FREE)(instructions from Abe's post)

su
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /system/bin/logwrapper.bin /system/bin/logwrapper
Reboot

Last edited:

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First!

Thanks for posting this here man!

iNoMaD

Reaction score
Awesome work bro,greatly appreciated. Still doin my research before I root and flash liberty 1.5 and this has been copied and pasted to my desktop...seriously lol thanks! Think you could refer some videos or threads which explain the process of downloading from my computer and transfering the files to my X.So far I have titanium backup,4shared(for z4root), astro file manager, and attempted to download droid x recovery bootstrap online but wasnt able to open it because i couldnt find it. I never know how to open,extract,or find the files,let alone transfer them to my baby. Sorry,but we all start somewhere,right?.Appreciate any help,thanks again.
Oh and do you know where i can find a link to koushs droid x bootstrap as the link on his page is no longer working. I tried one on ************* but Im not sure if its outdated or not. Thanks broidski.

Last edited:
OP
Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok the bootstrap app isn't available online from koush's website anymore. Its $2 in market and be sure its the Droid X Bootstrap app.

Transfering data from pc to phone and vice versa is simple. Connect your phone to your pc via USB cable. At first connection it will download drivers. After that, you will pull down the notification bar, select USB connection, then USB mass storage. You'd phones sd will appear on your pc under COMPUTER as a mass storage. You can now drag and drop whatever you want. If the drivers don't install, here they are USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

DarthIcee

Reaction score
Didn't work

I have rooted 4.5.605. Droid X Bootstrapper does not work. Click on bootstrap recovery button. It shows sucess. Then I click the reboot recovery. Phone reboots, then shows a black screen ( I can see the back light is on ). I have let it sit up to 20 minutes this way before doing a battery pull. I have tried this repeatedly. I have un-installed and re-installed. Not sure what else to try. Would really like to find a good bakup option for 4.5.605 before I start tinkering too much.

leftspin

Reaction score
I have rooted 4.5.605. Droid X Bootstrapper does not work. Click on bootstrap recovery button. It shows sucess. Then I click the reboot recovery. Phone reboots, then shows a black screen ( I can see the back light is on ). I have let it sit up to 20 minutes this way before doing a battery pull. I have tried this repeatedly. I have un-installed and re-installed. Not sure what else to try. Would really like to find a good bakup option for 4.5.605 before I start tinkering too much.

you need to use the Droid 2 Bootstrapper

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Or you can uncheck debugging... And it should work... Or you can also use rom manager with bootstrap to flash a different recovery like an updated Droid x our Droid 2 recovery... Which should work just fine to

We have nothing to great but running out of beer

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
He pulled the free download a while back, you can get it from the market. For gingerbread ROMs you should be using Droid 2 Bootstrap also from the market.

durden

Reaction score
clockwork removal

If I remove clockwork and bootstrapper following the steps in post number 2, will I lose my root? I'm not trying to return to stock. I am just trying to take the new update. I tried just using ota rootkeeper, but after I suspend my root, my phone boots up into clockwork and it stops the update process, since after it downloads the update it reboots before it starts the install. I tried searching the forum for other threads about this, but this is the most relevant one I found. Thanks in advance!

leftspin

Reaction score
If I remove clockwork and bootstrapper following the steps in post number 2, will I lose my root? I'm not trying to return to stock. I am just trying to take the new update. I tried just using ota rootkeeper, but after I suspend my root, my phone boots up into clockwork and it stops the update process, since after it downloads the update it reboots before it starts the install. I tried searching the forum for other threads about this, but this is the most relevant one I found. Thanks in advance!

Removing Clockwork and Bootstrapper shouldn't have any effect on your root