Easy Unroot Process for Droid X

Reaction score
If you never modified your Droid X other than rooting it so you can use it wireless tether or other apps that need root - OR if you made a nandroid backup right after rooting and you can restore that backup, then the following process is the easiest one I have found (and just used) to unroot my Droid X. Note: This information was pulled from the Droid 2 forum and I take no credit, except for the extra detailed notes.

First off, if you rooted and made a Nandroid backup right after rooting, restore that backup. If you never used custom roms, etc, then don't worry about that part (just rooted to use some apps that require root).

Download a Terminal Emulator app from the marketplace.

- open your trusty terminal app (that's the terminal emulator you downloaded)
- you should see a $ symbol, now do the following (type each line exactly as writen after the "-" but do not type what is in the parenthesis)
- su (give a minute to ask for Superuser Permission. If it doesn't ask, go into Superuser Permissions and grant access to your Terminal Emulator and go back and retry this step)
- now you should see a # symbol (after each of the following steps is processed, you will see a #)
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
- rm /system/bin/su
- rm /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- reboot your phone. Tada, no more root! To prove this, try opening wireless tether or another program needing root access and you will be rejected.

If anyone notices anything wrong on here, please let me know. If this was posted elsewhere in the DX forum area, I apologize for reposting, but I couldn't find it. I just wanted to make this easy for people to find.

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
nice post. will keep this in my arsenal of threads :)

kyle4040

Reaction score
Thank you.

Actually worked.

I was running 2.1 with no themes or roms.

the dude 206

Reaction score
having an issue with this process

I go into my terminal emu and and see $ type in su. then it says not found. what do I do

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I go into my terminal emu and and see $ type in su. then it says not found. what do I do

a little more detail is needed...

how did you root? what do you want to do? unroot i presume?

Reaction score
Superuser read only file

Sorry I am a newbie, I have yo return my phone to Verizon for software issues. I did the ota to 2.2 then rooted. Now I need to unroot to return it to the store. I keep getting a message that superuser is read only. I get through all the steps and reboot and my phone is the same please help. I rooted using doroot for 2.2 Thanks

overfiendx

Reaction score
K folks found a slight typo in above guide. Look for the command "-text3" it appears in two lines once each. It should be written as such "-t ext3" no parentheses. There is a space between t and e. Hope this helps some one.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
wrightperspective
Reaction score
K folks found a slight typo in above guide. Look for the command "-text3" it appears in two lines once each. It should be written as such "-t ext3" no parentheses. There is a space between t and e. Hope this helps some one.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I tried it that way and it didn't work but seemed to work without the space. If anyone else has used this method, please let me know if it worked WITH or WITHOUT the space. Thanks.

dvsgod

Reaction score
worked perfectly on my droid x running the rootmyx2 one click root.