Not so new to my RAZR; life turned upside down by Ice Cream Sandwich platform--ugh!

poetessagrant

Reaction score
I want to thank all the forum posters who gave invaluable advice and how-to's for rebooting RAZRs to maximize function after Motorola force-fed us the semi-Ice Cream Sandwich platform. Thank you! Rebooting has restored functionality! But....and actually this is going to sound a bit whiney...Gingerbread's "Shortcuts" are no longer available. Wah-h-h-h. "Shortcuts" actually contained a nice little weather app/mini-banner that stayed on the homescreen, keeping me informed. There is no weather widget now. I tried the free ACCUWeather app, but it's like everything in the world changed with ICS. Actually, when I was making my decision between RAZR and Galaxy, one of the aspects I was nervous about were the reviews that posited Gingerbread to be somehow inferior to ICS. But hands down, I bought the RAZR after seeing a side-by-side demonstration. And guess what, I LOVED Gingerbread. My RAZR's 8mp photos knocked my husband's I-phone 4-GS out of the park! But that was pre-ICS. Last month. Now my RAZR photos look like they were taken with an LG-ENV. Pictures are all fuzzy now. And smaller. In fact the entire screen (including text size) looks like it shrank. And I REALLY I dislike the black Google browsing skin. Oh, and the ability to view all four home screens at once is gone. Funny, that wasn't so much of a big deal until it was gone. And I can barely read the spelling aids in texting mode...WHO THOUGHT COMPOSING TEXTS IN dark blue on BLACK WAS A GOOD IDEA??? But I digress. I simply can't think of anything GOOD to say about Ice Cream Sandwich. But to the point--is there a small weather banner/app, or something comparable out there that is compatible for use with this new (horrible) hybrid environs that can just sit on (each of my) my home pages showing weather, time and temp without acting like a giant ad conduit? Looking forward to your responses.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to the forums poetessagrant! ICS does take a bit getting used to and I agree that some of the changes that were made do not make any sense. I think a reason they went with a lot of blue and black is because blues and blacks do not use as much battery as lights and whites. Before installing another weather app, open your apps drawer, along the top select "widgets" and you will probably find the weather widget you had before. Press and hold that to add it to your homescreen.

Keep asking questions and there will be someone that can help you. Many of the things with GB are still in ICS but they just changed how we used to do things. And yes, there are some things that are missing but usually someone has found a work-a-round for those annoyances.

OP
P

poetessagrant

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums poetessagrant! ICS does take a bit getting used to and I agree that some of the changes that were made do not make any sense. I think a reason they went with a lot of blue and black is because blues and blacks do not use as much battery as lights and whites. Before installing another weather app, open your apps drawer, along the top select "widgets" and you will probably find the weather widget you had before. Press and hold that to add it to your homescreen.

Keep asking questions and there will be someone that can help you. Many of the things with GB are still in ICS but they just changed how we used to do things. And yes, there are some things that are missing but usually someone has found a work-a-round for those annoyances.

Thank you, Tis'd. You are correct...it was there in Widgets all along. Guess somewhere between clearing my cache and rebooting, I had a meltdown. Couldn't see the Widgets for the Apps...

This is a really great forum. I trolled it for months before joining tonight.
Now off to do a system restore on my laptop as Adobe Flashplayer 11 has LOTS of bugs. Will check back tomorrow as I am following the ICS bug(s) "fix" from Verizon forecasts/discussions. Nitey nite, all.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Oh believe me, you are not the first that has had a meltdown on ICS but it does get better! Thanks for the kudos... this is a great community!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums!! Looks like Tis has you pretty well covered. Make yourself at home and hopefully we can help you along the way :biggrin:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum! We are happy to have ya with us! ;)