Not all pix going to SD card.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Something I noticed when I did a fdr and chose not to back up my pix since they are being saved to my SD card..... Not all did... The ones I took from my stock camera went safely onto the card, but ones I saved from FB, Messages, Messenger and Screenshots weren't so lucky and got lost. I've looked around to see if there's a way to save the other folders onto my SD card, but not seeing anything -- anywhere. I'm using the QuickPic gallery, NOT Google's gallery (or whatever comes loaded on the phone.)
Anyone know if there's a way to save ALL images onto my SD card?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have run into that before as well. I think it's up to the developers of those apps whether or not they provide an option to save to SD Card vs Internal storage. The Camera app storage setting only controls where pictures taken with the camera are saved. Pictures downloaded from apps like Facebook, Messages, etc. either go to their own folder on the Internal storage or the Download folder on Internal storage. I don't think there is any way to change that behavior, in a way that would affect all downloaded pics. If the individual app offers a save to SD Card option that would be the only way. The only thing I can think of is to manually back them up once in a while; to your SD Card, a PC, external USB storage device, etc.

One easy way on our phones is the Moto - File Manager app. Tap the menu and select One Key Transfer. If the app finds Pictures, Videos or Music (Audio files) on the Internal storage it will provide you the option to select all (or select individual files) and transfer them to your SD Card. I have used it before a FDR and it seems to work pretty good. You could probably run that every few weeks, months and bulk transfer all of those downloaded pics to your SD Card.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Thanks, @Sajo . I learned to back them up on my laptop LOL -- just like the old days without SD cards.
I went into File Manager, but when I clicked on the One Key Transfer, it said I didn't have any pictures to transfer. I guess I'll continue to back up to my laptop. Kinda a pain and I don't understand why the gallery app I'm using doesn't force ALL pix to go onto my card, but... Thanks for getting back with me on this. It's a bit of a nuisance, but no biggy in the grand scheme of life.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I guess that's two brain cramps in a row for me. . It looks like the One Key Transfer process is only looking for pics in the Internal storage Camera folder and not all other folders where pics could be stored. Oops! It's still a handy feature if you have your camera set to store pics on Internal and want to move them to a SD card.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I guess that's two brain cramps in a row for me. . It looks like the One Key Transfer process is only looking for pics in the Internal storage Camera folder and not all other folders where pics could be stored. Oops! It's still a handy feature if you have your camera set to store pics on Internal and want to move them to a SD card.

Good to know in case I forget to adjust settings with my next fdr or next phone.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Speaking of file transfers, is anyone using the new Google Files Go app?

I wasn't, but am now. Looks like a decent app to help free up space and manage files & apps.

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
I wasn't, but am now. Looks like a decent app to help free up space and manage files & apps.

I might give it a try. Thanks

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
I might give it a try. Thanks

Did you disable the stock Files app?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Nope, I left it enabled since it has many more options. I figure between the two I can help keep the phone a little"cleaner". But the stock app has Wireless file management which I use sometimes

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Nope, I left it enabled since it has many more options. I figure between the two I can help keep the phone a little"cleaner". But the stock app has Wireless file management which I use sometimes

I just installed it too. I'll play around with it this weekend.
Thanks for the heads up @kmf1