Not able to Login to Email

foreverwickless

Reaction score
I have had my incredible for 3 days now, and am unable to set up email and facebook. I have 4 email accounts, and have only been able to set up 2. It says my username and password don't match, but they really do. I have tried them over and over.... and even tried them on my PC, where they DO work.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

OP
F

foreverwickless

Reaction score
Is that for just gmail? I have Hotmail, Yahoo, Cableone and one from my business website.

oakindustries

Reaction score
I'm telling you, like I tell my customers...the phone won't simply deny you unless your login info is wrong. Make sure when you're typing stuff, you get your symbols right and remember it's case sensitive. I've been right 100% of the time with my customers who have said, "this phone is defective, it won't let me log in". You aren't remembering right because you have your browser at home set to auto login for the last 8 years.

nightfishing

Reaction score
Are you trying using WiFi?

If so, turn it off and try to log on using mobile network.

jmdwifi

Reaction score
I'm telling you, like I tell my customers...the phone won't simply deny you unless your login info is wrong. Make sure when you're typing stuff, you get your symbols right and remember it's case sensitive. I've been right 100% of the time with my customers who have said, "this phone is defective, it won't let me log in". You aren't remembering right because you have your browser at home set to auto login for the last 8 years.

Not true all the time. I had put the same settings that were on my Eris into my Incredible and the mail gave a login error. After no help from Verizon or HTC (they did try) I figured out that the phone was blocking my certificate. I have to go into application management and check the box for allowing unknown apps then uncheck it after the mail setup successfully. So the problem was tighter security on the new phone and not a fat fingered setting.

sda000

Reaction score
The email settings on Droid devices (at least the Incredible) are automatically setup to pull email from IMAP accounts via the 3G wireless network only. The IMAP and SMTP settings are defaulted to android specs (using Yahoo as an example: android.imap.mail.yahoo.com and server port 993). This will not work when trying to connect through WiFi. If your phone is set to connect to WiFi automatically when you are at home or the office it will give you a "Login Failed" message when trying to get your mail. Turn off your WiFi and your mail will work. If you change your settings for it to work on WiFi then it will not get your mail when you are on 3G wireless.

Dgilmour1

Reaction score
The email settings on Droid devices (at least the Incredible) are automatically setup to pull email from IMAP accounts via the 3G wireless network only. The IMAP and SMTP settings are defaulted to android specs (using Yahoo as an example: android.imap.mail.yahoo.com and server port 993). This will not work when trying to connect through WiFi. If your phone is set to connect to WiFi automatically when you are at home or the office it will give you a "Login Failed" message when trying to get your mail. Turn off your WiFi and your mail will work. If you change your settings for it to work on WiFi then it will not get your mail when you are on 3G wireless.

Sweet! This definitely works. I had the same problem. But is there a way to make it work both ways? And if not, is this something that HTC can put an update out for? On that note, and this may be treading on forum topic rules, but do the droid's update automatically?

sda000

Reaction score

Sweet! This definitely works. I had the same problem. But is there a way to make it work both ways? And if not, is this something that HTC can put an update out for? On that note, and this may be treading on forum topic rules, but do the droid's update automatically?

As far as I know, there is not a way to have it both ways. You can't have multiple settings for an email account. I even tried setting up a secondary account for the same email but it won't. I messed with the settings but could not figure it out. It would be Droid that would make that happen in an update and I doubt it will happen since Droid is Google and they did this purposely I'm sure so you would have to use Gmail or a POP mail server. As far as auto updates for Droid, you would have to authorize any updates and I'm not sure if Droid does OTA updates or if you have to be connected to the computer. I haven't gotten that far in Droid usage yet.

tempo

Reaction score
Are you trying using WiFi?

If so, turn it off and try to log on using mobile network.

Wow, that is one annoying bug! Thanks for pointing that out. Your tip just got me out of an annoying "invalid password" wormhole while setting up Yahoo mail over IMAP/S -- when I knew my password was 100% correct.