Problem with Exchange ActiveSync

jrhodes

Reaction score
Which phone do you have? I see it is an HTC model of some sort. What version of Android are you running?

Which version of Exchange are you connecting to? If it is 2007 or newer, are you able to use auto-discover? If so, make sure that you are choosing to use SSL and ActiveSync only in the configuration of Touchdown.

I have seen the Touchdown database become corrupted and cause problems. You may need to delete the NitroDesk folder from the memory card to get rid of the corruption problem and then reconfigure your account. You will loose your settings, so there will be some costs involved there.

Last edited:

Ralurard

Reaction score
So it was a wild and crazy road but we got the most recent problem fixed (everything else seems to have been corrected at least in the interim with a factory reset). A surprising issue that we discovered on a conference call between HTC master support and my IT group. Turns out that (possibly during the OTA that was pushed on Sunday morning) my phone had a new IP address that was not in our approved range. Manually added in the new IP range as accepted for VZW and was able to re-authenticate. Exchange 2003, my phone is an Incredible. Definitely autodiscover and SSL although I've abandoned Touchdown for the time being since the native Mail client is functioning again. Thanks for the help!

Muschnick

Reaction score
Jim, my "sent" folder has an extremely large amount of emails in it and maybe that was causing a problem. Almost positive it wasn't in the 20k range but it was high.

I have since emptied it along with the deleted emails and I guess we will see if it has an issue.

I am connecting with Outlook. I'm not familiar with scanpst.exe but I will give it a shot if I run into the sync failure again.

So far.....

1) Not a HW issue, replaced phone
2) Factory Reset setting up native mail first didn't work
3) Both Touchdown & Native Email have had the sync failures
4) Error is "http statuserror: 400"
5) At least 1 other colleague with Incredible on the same 2.2 version connecting to the same exchange server have run into this issue.

So that is where we are at.....

Unfortunately my IT department probably won't work on this more than they already have which was the basic steps as they don't consider it "supported". With that said they do work with people to get it configured.

Was HTC much help? Could they narrow it down to something on the server without my IT department involved? Is there some data I should try and gather before calling HTC?

jrhodes

Reaction score
Would your IT team consider setting up a second mailbox for you, just to test for a while? That would at least help rule out a data corruption issue.

Muschnick

Reaction score
I doubt it....I meant to call them today and ask but I got caught up in some other 'fun' at work....

jrhodes

Reaction score
Never hurts to ask, right? :)

If not, than I would try using the scanpst.exe utility and see if it finds any errors with your mailbox data.

jpokin

Reaction score
I just received a Droid 2 Global from Verizon, which will definitely be going back because of significant Exchange complaints:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/40791?start=0&tstart=0
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-incredible-tech-issues/89558-problem-exchange-activesync.html

The Incredible is a replacement that I am considering, but this thread is also giving me some second thoughts. However, there seems to be less complaints for the DI compared to the D2G.

Any of you DI users (or friends, co-workers...) NOT experiencing the exchange sync issues? I am just trying to gauge if I may have better luck going with the DI.

jrhodes

Reaction score
I have not seen a lot of issues with either the Incredible or the Droid2. I would try these some the solutions below and see if they resolve your connectivity issue.

1) Make sure that any folder that is being synchronized does not have over 20k items in it. Exceeding this threshold can cause ActiveSync to time out.

2) Perform a hard reset of the phone by removing the battery and restarting it.

3) Flush the e-mail cache. Go to settings menu and choose Applications --> Manage Applications --> All --> E-mail --> Clear Cache.

4) Remove the affected account and add it back. Go to settings menu and choose Applications --> Manage Applications --> All --> E-mail --> Clear Data. Go to Accounts & Sync and confirm that account has been removed. Restart the phone and then add it back.

5) Some devices may not sync properly unless the Exchange account was the first account set up on the phone. In most cases it is not. This is because the user gets a prompt to set up their Google account when they activate their phone, which most oblige. The primary Google account cannot be deleted from the phone through the Accounts & Sync menu. The phone has to be reset. Resetting the phone will remove most applications and their settings. Users can download utilities that will back the application installers to their memory card. After the phone is reset and the accounts are configured in the proper order, they can reinstall the apps directly from the memory card vs. searching for them and downloading the installers again. One such utility is AppMonster. Once the phone is reset, have the user cancel out of the Google account set up, add the Exchange account, and then proceed with reconfiguring their device.

8) Use a third party e-mail client. Touchdown is one such client. It has a 30 day free trial and can be installed without reseting the phone. It will run side by side with the native e-mail application. If the customer wishes to by it, the one time fee is $19.99.

There is another free option. A developer has extracted the e-mail client from the Cyanogen mod and is offering it as a stand alone e-mail client in the Market. It is called "Improved Email". The Cyanogen mod is modification of the Android firmware, so Improved Email looks and functions just like the native e-mail application, but it has additional featues and does not seem to have the connectivity issues the original does. The phone does not need to be reset and the app will run in parallel with the native e-mail application.

jpokin

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. For now, I have decided to check out D2G for the 30-day trial period. I read your post elsewhere about setting up the corporate account first - so, I got that correct from the start. Actually, native corporate setup was straightforward and has worked fine for the past couple of days. I had to use K9 for my secure IMAP - native is lousy.

I will keep monitoring.

hoppyjr

Reaction score
I also had username/password error messages when setting up my Exchange account - and the information was correctly being entered. I just kept trying the "next" key and it eventually worked......must be an Android issue in general, but it certainly was annoying!

shellslyn

Reaction score
I got mu DI sunday and had no problem setting up my exchange acct.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

Muschnick

Reaction score
3) Flush the e-mail cache. Go to settings menu and choose Applications --> Manage Applications --> All --> E-mail --> Clear Cache.

JRhodes.....Thanks again for all your help on this issue! I haven't come back to this thread in awhile as I couldn't seem to resolve the issue and it was driving me nuts....I am/was on the verge of moving to an Iphone which I don't want to do unless I absolutely have to.

With that said....A friend of mine recently rooted his phone and was playing around with it when he lost his exchange connection. He then cleared his cache via an app for a different reason and voila....It cleared up the sync issue!! I'm not sure if his rooted app is necessary to clear up all the cache but I doubt that....I suspect as JRhodes mentions clearing the mail cache should do it but not sure. I have downloaded 'aCCleaner' and plan to clear the cache via that app and see what happens.

It looks like you are on to something in #3 that you posted above!! I have yet to test this out myself as I haven't lost my exchange connection since hearing about this. I have a feeling I may not see it as often as my company added 2 more exchange servers but I am not sure what affect that will have.

So anyone out there in Droid land that loses exchange sync connectivity please try to clear your cache and let us know what happens. Hopefully after clearing the cache and refreshing the email app it will reconnect and sync up.

I'll also let you know once I am able to test it. So far it has worked for a friend but not sure if others have had the same success.

whob13

Reaction score
Simple Solution

I didn't read through all of this, and see that it's rather dated - but I was having problems with my Exchange ActiveSync on my Droid Incredible and figured out what was wrong - it made me feel very stupid but it easy to fix!

When I was entering information, the keyboard was automatically adding a space at the end of everything, and the activesync was reading all of my info as username_ and server_ etc.

Once I removed the spaces, it synced no problem. Again, sorry if this has already been brought up!