Problem with Exchange ActiveSync

nlk634

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just bought my Droid Incredible today and whenever I try to set up my school email on it (Exchange server) i keep getting a username/password error, even though I am using the correct ones, and have retyped them multiple times to eliminate any possible errors. I'm hoping someone on this site might be able to help me fix this issue.

Muschnick

Reaction score
I have the same problem! For me it shows up when I lose my ability to sync email. Then I either try and reconfigure my email or often times delete my account and then add it back again.

Sometimes it will go through and other times I get the authentication error even though I know the username and password are correct as they were working a few minutes before

Other times I don't get the authentication error but I get the "failed to connect to the exchange server. Please check Exchange server settings"

I doubt this is not an exchange server issue as nobody else at my work is seeing this as frequent as I am. A few of them have seen it but only 1 or 2 times a month.....I am seeing these issues everyday and sometimes multiple times a day

I usually try to configure the email again later on and eventually it will accept the username/password

Really weird issue....I may be running into multiple issues but it is clear that there is a major activesync issue within Froyo/Incredible/Microsoft

I have also had similar sync issues when I use Touchdown

This is so painful I am thinking of smashing my incredible......Could it be a HW issue?

jrhodes

Reaction score
Exchange Sync Problems

I see Exchange sync issues with Android devices quite often. Take a look at this post. Maybe that might help you resolve this issue.

Muschnick

Reaction score
Thanks Jim....I just went through the painful process of resetting my phone and starting over.

I had an issue with the appmonster app the guy recommended so I really had to start from scratch but so far so good.

Hopefully I won't see any more connections issues.

I wonder how Touchdown fits into this.....I had connection issues with Touchdown and the native mail.

I haven't configured Touchdown yet and probably won't if my native mail works as it should.

Thanks for the tip!!

Muschnick

Reaction score
Scratch that.....Didn't work for me!!

AHHHHHHHHHH!!

After all the work to start over and download all the apps and reconfigure everything....My native email app sync failed within the first hour

jrhodes

Reaction score
I am sorry to hear that. That option has worked with great success for our customers. I know it is frustrating, to say the least. I went through those pains when I got my Droid. What version of Android are you using? What version of Exchange are your tying to connect to? Also, what is your build number?

Muschnick

Reaction score
My company is using....
Exchange Server 2007 SP2

My phone is....
Droid 2.2
Baseband Version - 2.15.00.07.28
Kernel - 2.6.32.15-gb7b01d1 htc-kernel@and18-2 #1 (whatever that means)
Build Number - 3.21.605.1 CL231334 release-keys
SW # - 3.21.605.1

When I lost the connection last night it came back about an hour later and has worked since. In the past when I lost the connection it lasted anywhere from 15-20 minutes to 4-5 hours+.

Very odd behavior....driving me nuts and really making me consider going back to my blackberry which would be horrible as I love the phone. I just can't deal with the constant connection loss and sync issues.

If there is anything you can think of please let me know....I am willing to do just about anything to figure this out....

Thanks!!

jrhodes

Reaction score
I apologize if I am covering stuff you have already checked. Have you looked at the account settings and verified the "check frequency" is set to automatic/as they arrive? Are you using WiFi? If so, what are you're sleep settings for that connection? You can find this by clicking the menu key while you are in the WiFi menu and choose to look at the advanced features.

Muschnick

Reaction score
No need to apologize...I am willing to check anything and everything I may have overlooked or set up wrong.

I just lost my connection again....The account is set to "as items arrive" and Wifi is set to "never sleep".

One thing I will keep an eye on is if the issue occurs on both the mobile network and/or Wifi....I just connected to Wifi and the connection is gone...That could be a coincidence or maybe it means something.

Do you think if I throw the phone off the wall....will that help :) ??

Thanks again for your help!

Muschnick

Reaction score
The interesting thing is that this doesn't appear to be happening to others connecting to the same exchange server. They have had issues in the past but nobody else that I am aware of is still having Sync issues. At least 1 other person is using the Droid Incredible on the same version.

Hmmmmm

Muschnick

Reaction score
Oh one other thing.....

I was in the account section where it shows everything it is trying to sync and at the bottom of the page it showed an I/O error. Maybe that means something or maybe it is generic.

Any chance this is a HW issue?

jrhodes

Reaction score
Yep, that sounds like a good idea. Let's see if there is a pattern. Maybe try disabling WiFi all together and see if the problem persists?????

Muschnick

Reaction score
I just turned off Wifi.....I rarely connect to Wifi so I doubt it only occurs when on Wifi but truthfully I haven't paid that close attention as to when the problem is happening because it was showing up so often.

I'll give it a shot and see if I run into more issues...

The connection just came back....I should have checked that before I disabled Wifi but it looks as though it had come back before I switched Wifi Off as the emails were updated.

I will run another test and turn it on and off a few times and see if that triggers the connection issue.

jrhodes

Reaction score
I guess a H/W issue could be a possibility. I personally haven't seen one, yet. Does the I/O error message give anything specific? Like a code?

Muschnick

Reaction score
I ran some tests starting and stopping Wifi and I couldn't get this sync / I/O error to occur. I'll run without Wifi for awhile to see if the issue shows up on the mobile network or just Wifi.

Thanks again for your help jrhodes!