Noobie Alert: Keeping ringtones out of music player

BWAT1009

Reaction score
I am using the stock music player that came loaded on my dinc. I have no problems with adding music or album covers, the only problem that I have is that when I download a ringtone from ringlert or somewhere like it it shows up in my music player. The ringtones are currently save in the Media>audio>ringtones folder on the sd card. They are seperate from my music files, but are in mp3 format and so the sync is finding them. is there anyway that I can exclude that folder from sync but still keep them as functioning ringtones? Sorry to all of the powerusers out there that wish people would quit posting stupid questions.

Thunder_sl

Reaction score
I THINK if you create a empty file called .nomedia and put it in the directory it will not load on the player.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Thunder_sl

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirm Martin...I believe it works to keep images out of the gallery as well..Good for keeping wallpapers and icons out of there.. :)

pistol_pete

Reaction score
I THINK if you create a empty file called .nomedia and put it in the directory it will not load on the player.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
By file, what kind of file do you mean? A folder? An mp3 file?

*edit> Nevermind. Google is my friend.

"On your computer, open Notepad or any other text editor
OR download an App called 'Text edit' then you can do this from your phone
Save the blank file as “.nomedia”
Make sure that the Save as type is set as “All Files” instead of “Text documents”
Copy that file to the folder on your SD card containing audio files you don’t want to show up.
(Example: If you want to block CoPilot sound files from coming up, place the .nomedia file in the sdcard/copilot folder)
Reboot your phone and the files should no longer be viewable
This same trick works for folders containing images or videos that you don’t want to appear in the Gallery app."