deleting music also deletes ringtones

robotdg

Reaction score
so, i just started using insyncr (an itunes sync'ing tool) and am running into a problem where android finds music everywhere and treats it the same...

...so when i have my itunes sync'ing tool manage my music by removing things i have taken off my playlists, it also finds my custom ringtones and deletes them.

...is there a way for me to put ringtones and other .mp3s in a place that is "separated" from my "music folders" so that it isn't swept up in sync deletes?

basically, i want a folder/area that is my "music for listening" and files here are kept in sync with my itunes playlist... but .mp3s that are not in this area are ignored during itunes sync activities...

is this possible?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
so, i just started using insyncr (an itunes sync'ing tool) and am running into a problem where android finds music everywhere and treats it the same...

...so when i have my itunes sync'ing tool manage my music by removing things i have taken off my playlists, it also finds my custom ringtones and deletes them.

...is there a way for me to put ringtones and other .mp3s in a place that is "separated" from my "music folders" so that it isn't swept up in sync deletes?

basically, i want a folder/area that is my "music for listening" and files here are kept in sync with my itunes playlist... but .mp3s that are not in this area are ignored during itunes sync activities...

is this possible?

Can't you simply create a folder using Astro and just put the music you want in a folder there and do it that way? You would just need to make sure your ringtones are not in there.

That is if I'm following what you're asking for.

OP
R

robotdg

Reaction score
Let me try that -- maybe I am wrong here but I am saying that it seems like both the Droid music player and the various sync'ing tools scan the entire folder structure of the droid for any and all .mp3s...

...so there is no way to hide an .mp3 from a "sync delete" ... like the only workaround I can think of is to import my ringtone .mp3s into itunes, make a ringtones folder and have that folder sync with the droid... which would work but is kind of annoying...

does that make sense?

or maybe I am wrong about something... maybe Ringdroid is exporting its .mp3s into the music player on the droid and if I just created my own folder then the .mp3s would be hidden....?

s.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just took a look at my music folder.....Just the regular folder and looked under songs. I'm not seeing my ringtones that I made with Ringdroid in there. Now if I look in Ringdroid I definitely see them in there of course.

Sorry if that's not much help. I don't think I see what you see.

OP
R

robotdg

Reaction score
interesting. i think most of my issues come from me not understanding how the music app on the droid discovers music.

for example: if i create a new folder and copy some .mp3s off my PC harddrive into this folder then they are automatically discovered by the droid music player and show up in my droid songlist.

i created a directory called "ringtones" and i think i must have stumbled on to some kind of built-in OS behavior because it seems like the droid music player knows to ignore .mp3s that are in this directory... if i changed the directory name to ringtonesx or anything that isn't exactly "ringtones" the .mp3s in there suddenly show up in the droid music list...

so I guess the OS treats folders called "ringtones" specially? and if this is correct is obviously the solution to my problem.

is that right/possible?

s.

bubbleflubber

Reaction score
Music

This does seem to be the case, yes. The custom folder also works with the title "Alarms" and "Notifications", I believe. My problem is almost the opposite. Instead of deleting audio, I have applications that use custom sounds and such... of course, the problem herein is that in order for those apps to use their custom sounds (like Sleep Now, per se), they must be in the Sleep Now folder, which is not an "ignored" folder from the OS. Thus, when I put just the music I want to listen to into my Droid, all of a sudden, a bunch of app-related mp3s show up in my media list.

It's certainly distracting to be headed down the highway, Droid bluetoothed into my car stereo, shuffling my favorite songs, then having to hear a "Sleep Now" mp3 thrown in there.

The only solution I know of right now is to take the entire library and add it to it's own custom playlist, minus the app-related mp3's. Of course, that has it's own problems altogether, as I add tunes to my Droid, I'll have to sift through all of the songs again just to find the new files to add to the playlist.

It may be a small gripe, I'm sure, but I really wish there was a way to "ignore" audio files on the device from the Droid music app, instead of having to move them from folder to folder, or create custom playlists.

If anyone knows any other "tricks" I haven't researched, I'm certainly open to them.

Thanks!