noob rootin'

SmegmusMagnus

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Had OG for last 2 years, now I have the Bionic. Have never rooted; now I want to.

I see that there is that Pete's 1 click root/unroot: Has any one here used this? What, exactly, will I see on my phone's screen once it is rooted? Will I need to reinstall Gingerbread? Will everything be the same, only with the ability to uninstall bloat? Do I need to do my file manipulation while attached to PC? If I unroot will VZW know I have rooted, thus violating warranty? If so, will reinstalling bloat prevent them knowing I rooted? If so, is there a preferred backup utility I should use first?

I'm sure I have other questions as well; any guidance would be appreciated.

...maybe there is a good, comprehensive rooting primer available?

Thank you very much.

Iullus Cornelius Smegmus Magnus Pantocrator

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
If you root, you will lose every app data, except those apps that are backup-able like angry birds with those angry birds backup apps.
Never used Pete's 1-click
But do you want to root your bionic or your og droid?

OP
S

SmegmusMagnus

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I want to root my Bionic.

...regarding what you said concerning what is/is not able to be backed - up: Does this indicate that I will lose data/apps merely by the process of rooting?

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
Yeah you would lose MOST of your apps' data, like cut the rope, fruit ninja scores, etc. But I don't think there's a rooting way for bionic at the moment but not sure because the phone just came out

[ ] Motorola Droid: Latest Miui
[X] Motorola Xoom: Tiamat 2.1
[ ] Apple iPhone 3G: RedSn0w Jailbreak
Tapatalk

OP
S

SmegmusMagnus

Reaction score
...don't mean to keep harpin' on you about this, but I can't pass up the oppurtunity.

Does the fact that I would lose app data mean that I would not lose the apps themselves? What about bookmarks/contacts? Also; if I unroot, and factory reset, would that reinstate the stock bloatware?

Would there be evidence of the rooting left remaining?

Thanks for all your help.

drocksmash

Reaction score
I have rooted a few phones before... an EVO and a TBOLT.

I just bought a BIONIC and personally, I am going to wait a few weeks to root it.

The one touch root right now is PERMA root, meaning at this point in time the phone cannot be reflashed back to stock... if you need to warranty/service the phone you want to be able to restore to stock.

You will lose everything on the phone, it will look just like the first boot up (except w/added apps and features that were included in your root)
Rooting has its pro's and its con's

for example, when my tbolt was rooted i suffered from random reboots and I had to wait for a radio fix to come out then it was good-
certain features like wifi tether make the root all worth it in my opinion.

drocksmash

Reaction score
i may stand corrected, some are saying they have been able to UNroot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, if rooting the Bionic is anything like rooting anything else, you will not lose app data during the process.

Mamba94

Reaction score
The actual process of rooting will not remove apps or data.

Once you are rooted you can remove some of the bloatware apps if you want. However you should use caution do some research before you start removing apps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
Lol yeah...dang I can't think straight...it doesn't delete anything except some devices do, like my xoom (well at least the way they told me to do it)

[ ] Motorola Droid: Latest Miui
[X] Motorola Xoom: Tiamat 2.1
[ ] Apple iPhone 3G: RedSn0w Jailbreak
Tapatalk