No SDcard Slot For The Note 5?!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

There are a few issues with the Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S6 Edge that prohibit it from being the best smartphone ever. A few omissions in the Galaxy S6 has made a few of you pretty upset with Samsung. We had come to rely on Samsung for removable batteries and expandable storage. These were the features that were taken away from us. If you were thinking that all that extra space in the Galaxy Note 5 would mean that maybe possibly you might get an Sdcard slot you will be disappointed once more.

The reason given by SamMobile is the fact that the Galaxy S6 features UFS 2.0 which is the fastest internal storage tech in smartphones available. It is even faster than the fastest SDcard you can buy, and adding an SDcard slot would actually slow down your memory speeds overall. This is surely the strategy Samsung will use with the Note 5. Maybe you should start considering buying a Note 5 with larger internal memory instead of spending your money on a high quality sdcard.

via Sammobile

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Can't say I'm disappointed as I saw this coming once I found out the s6 wouldn't have expandable storage, it's obvious that Samsung is heading in this direction.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
That's a gamebreaker for me. Guess it's time to shop around for another phone an with SD slot. If I wanted an iPhone I'd buy an iPhone. I left my iPhone behind because of the expandability of an SDCard. Why does it seem Samsung wants to copy iPhone and iPhone wants to copy Samsung?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's a gamebreaker for me. Guess it's time to shop around for another phone an with SD slot. If I wanted an iPhone I'd buy an iPhone. I left my iPhone behind because of the expandability of an SDCard. Why does it seem Samsung wants to copy iPhone and iPhone wants to copy Samsung?

Honestly, that's why I returned the Motorola X 2014 for the G3. It should be obvious, especially with as much digital content that's available, expandable memory is a necessity.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
All of my current tech is Samsung. Note 4, Tablet S 8.4, TV, and even my Fridge. Replacing my ability to have an extra 128gb of storage by adding 16gb still is a deal breaker. Faster? Not needed as this is already fast enough currently. I might feel different if a usable USB3 slot existed as that would make a difference I can see. I suppose they won't miss me much but I don't think I will be alone when I leave. If no other excellent device is available with what I want I will just keep what I have until someone wakes up.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm actually kind of surprised that more OEMs haven't already gone this route. Google put the nail in the sd card coffin when they declared that they thought it was "too confusing" for users to have internal and external memory (this is why Nexus devices haven't had an sd slot for a few generations now, folks).

If they really think it's that confusing for folks, I don't see why they don't sell devices with sd card slots, but no sd card. Those of us who want to utilize it and understand the difference when saving/looking for things on "external" vs. internal memory will do so and those that would find it "too confusing" won't know the difference, or might get curious about what that slot is for and start researching how they could benefit from it.

Samsung, of all people, are fools for this. Touchwiz takes up so much of the already limited internal storage. While 64GB is a nice option, we can have 3-4 times that much with an sd card.

Now, I say all of this having declared many times in the past few months that, when it's time to upgrade from my Note 4, I'll be going to a Nexus device. The one thing that makes me pause at this almost final decision is storage space. I want to be able to download apps without a care in the world and shove the big ones that I can onto the sd card. We'll see what's available when I upgrade, but I don't think we can fully blame Samsung for this decision. Sure, they're moving more towards Apple's policies, but Big G has already implemented the same tactic.

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
I really hope all the people I see on here and on social media about this issue as well as removable battery stick to their guns. To see the Note 5 flop hard would be a great thing to see at this point. I really like my Note 3 and after a week was 99.99% certain that in 2 years I would get the Note 5. Talk about a screeching halt. It's now at a 0.00% of that happening. I wonder how long my Note 3 will last...or hopefully there will be a good market of used Note 4s.

And I'm tired of the Samsung fanboys/girls and tech snobs who chime in with any of the following:

1. It's old tech - well maybe it's been around a while but it is still useful and still better than storing everything in a cloud account and being required to stream media content

2. All batteries are removable - thanks to all of the Einstein's out there!!! Yes, we all know any battery is removable but when someone on a forum or social media site uses this term, YOU KNOW they are referring to a battery that swaps out in seconds. Quit being a Massengill salesperson about it!!!

3. You knew this was coming - well duh, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do

4. The UFS 2.0 is much faster - I have no problem with transfer speed when playing music or accessing a file from my sd card. This "faster" they refer to is a spec I think I can live without.

5. Get a power bank - I have one. Used it for a week. No freaking thank you. To try and tell me that is an alternative to carrying around a battery (that is much smaller than the power bank) in my pocket and changing it out in seconds is laughable.

6. Oooooooo quick charging - uhhhhh, if I'm on the go that doesn't help at all. That would mean I would have to find an outlet (assuming I have the charging unit with me, which I wouldn't anyway) and become a wall hugger. Samsung had some great anti-Crapple ads but now they are emulating Crapple so it seems someone tainted the rice in South Korea and they've all lost their heads.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm sorry, but I have wifi access nearly everywhere I go. Cloud storage (250 gigs from Google and 20ish from Dropbox) that I use all the time. On TMobile, Google Music doesn't count towards data even though I have unlimited LTE from TMobile. But SD cards are a dinosaur these days. Also, get a 64gig phone. Its a phone, not an external hard drive that you need to store that much data on. If its super needed, get an OTG cable and a flash drive for when you need things. Seriously, a small percent of people that are digital hoarders need to purge some of that crap.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm sorry, but I have wifi access nearly everywhere I go. Cloud storage (250 gigs from Google and 20ish from Dropbox) that I use all the time. On TMobile, Google Music doesn't count towards data even though I have unlimited LTE from TMobile. But SD cards are a dinosaur these days. Also, get a 64gig phone. Its a phone, not an external hard drive that you need to store that much data on. If its super needed, get an OTG cable and a flash drive for when you need things. Seriously, a small percent of people that are digital hoarders need to purge some of that crap.
Honestly, I complain about lack of sd slot, but I used the gnex just fine without it. For me, I think it's more of an issue of just liking to know I have the space. Haha! Though, in a pinch, I have copied large video files to my sd card when in a location with no WiFi & I needed the files off of someone else's computer. Still likely could've done that with just a 64GB phone though, so you make a valid point.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I'm over the need for an SD card. .....I've been using the cloud and really like it so far

sent from my fabulous Note 4♡

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm over the need for an SD card. .....I've been using the cloud and really like it so far

sent from my fabulous Note 4♡
I had dsl and craptacular Verizon data network forever so otg cables were a necessity for me even with external sd cards. I have Comcast Wi-Fi and AT&T data but still prefer my otg methods due to paranoia.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

_33

Reaction score
That stinks. I'll just grab 2 Note 4's and hope I can keep them going a few more years. I do not have to have an SD slot, but it makes my life easier. I do a lot of estimating and some insurance work. I can literally walk around a basement and shoot HD video as I do my thing. I then hand over the SD card to either my partner or whoever and that's that. I guess I could upload the video, or figure out some sort of way to do it. The SD slot just makes it really simple and easy for me. Like I said it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I figured something else out, but why should I have to change my thing? My way has worked great for the last 4 years and there's never been an issue. No one needs an internet connection to check my work which is nice for them. I have unlimited data so that doesn't matter.

The battery thing is much worse. I work in basements and my phone drains real fast in some of them. I have 2 fresh batteries in the truck at all times. Not being able to switch out kills me. I don't even charge my phone at night anymore. I just swap batteries as needed and throw the dead one in the charger in the truck.

Oh well... time to start looking out for the Note 4 deals that'll be coming up when the 5 drops. I gonna assume that once they're gone the features will never return. So this may be the end of the road for me and Sammy.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
The average consumer does not have a memory card in their current phone. I see it on a daily basis. It IS too confusing for those that are not tech savvy. It was no surprise to me when manufacturers began moving to internal memory only. Surprising? No. Disappointing? Absolutely. Hopefully they change things, and soon. But I'm thrilled with my G4

Sent from my Verizon G4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The average consumer does not have a memory card in their current phone. I see it on a daily basis. It IS too confusing for those that are not tech savvy. It was no surprise to me when manufacturers began moving to internal memory only. Surprising? No. Disappointing? Absolutely. Hopefully they change things, and soon. But I'm thrilled with my G4

Sent from my Verizon G4
You're right there in the front line having to deal with the average user. I try to think of myself as am average customer but threads life this one remind me I'm far from average, be that good or bad news for y'all on the front line.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

stellaignis

Reaction score
We need sd card for backup. Incase something happens to your phone. You can even backup your ROM to sd card so you can extract it if your phone is dead.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk