No saving favorites/bookmarks in Maps?

mitchb2

Reaction score
It's hard for me to believe that I can't save locations. I've been Googling and seeing many others complaining about this, but I was wondering if those complaints were old and that maybe things have changed.

I can't possibly use the Droid to replace my Garmin if it can't do something as simple as save a list of locations, mark my current location as Home, etc.

DHood

Reaction score
It's hard for me to believe that I can't save locations. I've been Googling and seeing many others complaining about this, but I was wondering if those complaints were old and that maybe things have changed.

I can't possibly use the Droid to replace my Garmin if it can't do something as simple as save a list of locations, mark my current location as Home, etc.

From my understanding, you can save addresses for your contacts and select them and then get directions from their menu (would be your bookmarks). I hear it has layers where you can see gas stations, restuarants, etc... so what other bookmarks/locations would you need?

I don't have a droid yet so I might not be completely accurate or understanding properly. I'd like to highlight that 'yet'.

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
Hmmm, hopefully it will evolve. It should work just like browser bookmarks. Enter an address, save a bookmark, give it a name. Pull up the list, touch an entry, hit Go.

DHood

Reaction score
Hmmm, hopefully it will evolve. It should work just like browser bookmarks. Enter an address, save a bookmark, give it a name. Pull up the list, touch an entry, hit Go.

Maybe it'll be a future update. If not though, the way I said doesn't seem like too bad of an idea, would be cool to have a shortcut to saved contract addresses once you're in google maps though.

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
I've been playing around with this too. There is something akin to it, but I can't replicate how it works or how the addresses re-appear. I know it does cache locations and you can retrieve them (I have addresses from day 1 when I wanted to play around and see how good it is, and I use it daily on my drive to monitor traffic conditions), but I'm not sure this is a 'feature' per se, or if it's just functionality in how it operates. Let me see if I can detail what I'm talking about in a bit as I'm working and need to prepare some stuff for a meeting, but no, there is no true bookmark feature as you stated.

sustained

Reaction score
I want this feature too.

The best I can do is to make a navigation shortcut for each destination and keep them in a folder.

The "My Home" one is especially useful.

andrewdoane

Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, there is a pretty good way to do what you're looking for.

1. Go to a blank spot on one of your homescreens. Long press. Alternatively, go to a home screen with at least one empty spot and hit menu-add.
2. Select "Shortcuts."
3. Select "Directions."
4. Enter address.
5. Select TBT Navigation if you want Navigation. If you uncheck it will just pull them up on the map.
6. Give it a name like "home" or whatever.
7. Pick an icon (like the little house for home, or there are some pretty cute ones like a heart for your sweetheart's house)
8. Hit save.

Then just tap on the icon on your desktop and you're in Navigation going home.

Is this what you want?

GreyMouser

Reaction score
This is patently false. The Google Maps Navigation on the Droid is fully integrated with Google Maps and My Maps. There are multiple ways to save locations into Navigator, and you can also perform location searches straight from the map by opening up the keyboard and simply typing.

You can create full maps in My Maps, and then save locations in those maps. You then bring these saved maps up as Layers in Navigator on the phone. I have about 15 maps, designated by function, each of which has 10-12 saved locations. When you bring up one of those maps, you'll get a little "index button" on the map that will allow you to select any of the points on that map, and navigate to it.

You can edit these maps directly in Google Maps on your PC, or use the My Maps Editor android application. Synchronization is bi-directional; any changes you make in My Maps, whether it's on the phone with the editor, or on your PC, are synched to the phone and stored permanently by Google in My Maps.

You can also save addresses for your contacts, and use those directly in Navigation.

Finally, the My Maps Editor can take your current GPS location, and save it as a map point with all of the information that you can put into My Maps. Handy for finding your car in a large parking lot.

It takes a little getting used to, but IMHO, the functionality present in Navigator vastly surpasses any stand-alone GPS solution.

Last edited:
OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
GreyMouser, thank you so much for that. It's AWESOME!
I just threw an address into My Saved Placed in Google Maps (on the PC), and there it is on my Droid.

Edit: And a Street View button as well. Nice!

One question. I used the GPS to navigate to a local address to test it out. When I click Layers the address is still there. How do I clear it out?

Last edited:

GadgetRick

Reaction score
This is patently false. The Google Maps Navigation on the Droid is fully integrated with Google Maps and My Maps. There are multiple ways to save locations into Navigator, and you can also perform location searches straight from the map by opening up the keyboard and simply typing.

You can create full maps in My Maps, and then save locations in those maps. You then bring these saved maps up as Layers in Navigator on the phone. I have about 15 maps, designated by function, each of which has 10-12 saved locations. When you bring up one of those maps, you'll get a little "index button" on the map that will allow you to select any of the points on that map, and navigate to it.

You can edit these maps directly in Google Maps on your PC, or use the My Maps Editor android application. Synchronization is bi-directional; any changes you make in My Maps, whether it's on the phone with the editor, or on your PC, are synched to the phone and stored permanently by Google in My Maps.

You can also save addresses for your contacts, and use those directly in Navigation.

Finally, the My Maps Editor can take your current GPS location, and save it as a map point with all of the information that you can put into My Maps. Handy for finding your car in a large parking lot.

It takes a little getting used to, but IMHO, the functionality present in Navigator vastly surpasses any stand-alone GPS solution.
Ok, this is the closest to what I am looking to. I have the MyMaps Editor but haven't been able to figure it out. Seems like a viable workaround but it is still just a workaround.

I'm not looking to save addresses so much as a location. I know I can just put an address in a contact or a shortcut and always come back to it but what happens when you don't know the address and you just want to mark a point as a place you'd like to come back to? What happens if there is no address associated with a particular point?

Gotta play with MyMaps Editor more and see if I can figure out how to do this in that. Nice to have that power but it's kind of overkill (and complicated) for something so simple.

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score

Thanks for this post. I'll be playing around more with My maps and trying to figure it all out, but I agree with your last statement. That's the kind of integration I've been wanting and why I've been slowly switching over to the all things Google.

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
Is there any integration between Google Maps and Google Earth?
I can't find any myself, so I was just wondering. It just seems logical to me that you would be able to zoom in on a location in Google Earth and access the Street View or add the location to My Saved Places and sync them to the Droid.

Very handy for househunting. I'm looking at houses online, then I always check Google Earth and Google Maps Street View to get a handle on the location. It would be great to do this in one app instead of two.