Droid Doesn't

souljerr

Reaction score
Well technically you can. Like if I want to save my home address as a favorite: I already have my wife as a contact, I go in and edit the contact and add the home address. So if am am lost and need to go home I can 1. go to the contact and pick navigate from the contact, which appears after you add an address. Or 2. once you contact has an address when in the maps in the search you type your contacts name and the address gets pre-filled. I guess we are not usto useing it this way but it makes a lot of sense. We are not usto having all our contacts on our garmins or tom toms but on the phone if you just put their address in under contacts its just like having favorites. Any how I like the navigation more than my current garmin.

I've never owned a Garmin or any other GPS unit besides my Droid and this is exactly how I use it.

MikeCheat04

Reaction score
I've been adding GPS shortcuts to a folder on my home screen. Press Menu key, Add > Shortcuts > Directions. Then I pull up google maps in sat mode and get the actual GPS coordinates 31.xxx,-91.xxx ect and put those numbers in the Destination field on the Droid. Gives you very precise directions to where ever you wanna go. I've attached screenshots for reference.

y2k2

Reaction score
I have read alot of people that say they love the GPS on the Droid. I and many others are very frustrated because it lacks one feature that all GPS have in common except for the Droid's. The problem I am talking about is being able to save your current location or add waypoints. I also have a Garmin Nuvi but Droid doesn't come close to it if you can't save locations. This would be a real simple fix, simply touch your current location and have it bring up a screen asking if you would like to save your current location. From there all you would need to add is a folder to save your favorites in. Until then I have to keep using my Garmin.

I don't know about waypoints but you can save locations for sure though
Like I have a Home shortcut and a few other directions saved as shortcuts. Long press on any home screen, select shortcut, then select Directions. This will take you to the screen where you can put a destination address. What I did was created a folder called Addresses then dump all those direction shortcuts in there.

texasPI

Reaction score
Look, I'm a hardcore road warrior. Will this replace my dedicated GPS unit? No, not at this stage. IMHO, this caters to the occasional GPS user who doesn't want to or need a dedicated GPS unit. This fits that demographic very well. So yes, hardcore users find the features in the Google Nav lacking but I use mine all the time in a pinch. In fact, prior to the Droid, I'd use my BB maps to search POI's near me as they were often more up to date than those in my GPS unit. I continue to do this with my Droid.

Cheerio!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The other thing is that you can log into your google account and go to maps, and create a layer that has all your favorite waypoints. This way you can add the layer onto the maps and you can then move between the points with ease. This is something you should try if nothing else. I have a layer with certain waypoints, and it works amazing.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Look, I'm a hardcore road warrior. Will this replace my dedicated GPS unit? No, not at this stage. IMHO, this caters to the occasional GPS user who doesn't want to or need a dedicated GPS unit. This fits that demographic very well. So yes, hardcore users find the features in the Google Nav lacking but I use mine all the time in a pinch. In fact, prior to the Droid, I'd use my BB maps to search POI's near me as they were often more up to date than those in my GPS unit. I continue to do this with my Droid.

Cheerio!

i fit in as the casual user and it def does do exactly what i need. I haven't really put it through any 'heavy usage'. just simple searches...IMO the gps works great. I've used TomTom for as long as they've been out and so far I haven't missed it.

heavyMGS

Reaction score
I thought I just could not figure out how to save locations...so it was not me : ) as far as the GPS goes, it has worked like a dream for me. Would it be nice to save locations = yes. Will we be able to do it in the future as well as do other cool stuff I didn't even know I wanted to do = more then likely. So far, coming from a BB Storm, I love the phone! Now if we could just get a quality FB app.

OP
Dejavoo

Dejavoo

Reaction score
I appreciate all the posts that people have given me with techie ways to save a location. I'm not that sophisticated to use these back door methods. As for you people who post with anger "how dare you say droid doesn't" are you on commission??? I'm just like you I bought and paid for my droid, is it a great product...yes...could it be better...yes. The intentions of my Post was to generate discussion to hopefully catch the attention of Google / VZ and make it easier for us to use. Someone said this is still beta, cool I'm ok with that and glad, therefore "This is why I posted this Thread unded the Suggestion Thread to Google and VZ please make it easier to waypoint locations. If you are in favor of this please post replies, and hopefully they will release a patch to make it easier. If I offended you by attacking the almighty Droid, grab that ohh so sacred phone of yours and call someone who cares!!!

Last edited:

JayMonster

Reaction score
Being one of those that posted in anger, I will say it was the smarmy title as well as your "all "ya gotta do is" which garnered the response you recived from me since it hardly sounds like a "suggestion."

And the people that "care" are the same people that I get help from and try to help through this board... so pull yourself off your high horse and perhaps think about how something may come across to others. Tongue in cheek doesn't always come off well in text.