Droid Doesn't

Dejavoo

Reaction score
I have read alot of people that say they love the GPS on the Droid. I and many others are very frustrated because it lacks one feature that all GPS have in common except for the Droid's. The problem I am talking about is being able to save your current location or add waypoints. I also have a Garmin Nuvi but Droid doesn't come close to it if you can't save locations. This would be a real simple fix, simply touch your current location and have it bring up a screen asking if you would like to save your current location. From there all you would need to add is a folder to save your favorites in. Until then I have to keep using my Garmin.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
it's in BETA, im sure they'll add it later. alot of us agree it's not up to Garmin's level yet, but it's pretty damn close. stick to the garmin for now and use your Droid for when you don't have Garmin...simple right?

jaymeangreen

Reaction score
I have read alot of people that say they love the GPS on the Droid. I and many others are very frustrated because it lacks one feature that all GPS have in common except for the Droid's. The problem I am talking about is being able to save your current location or add waypoints. I also have a Garmin Nuvi but Droid doesn't come close to it if you can't save locations. This would be a real simple fix, simply touch your current location and have it bring up a screen asking if you would like to save your current location. From there all you would need to add is a folder to save your favorites in. Until then I have to keep using my Garmin.

hell, i would settle for just having the gps actually work on my phone :mad:

raven1911

Reaction score
You need to add the updated firmware. Really helped my maps and navigation. Very nice after the update!

I find that it saves whatever address that I have inputted so I can just touch the address later on from the drop down list. I have a Garmin as well and it just sucks because the maps are a year old and you have to pay for updates. My garmin sometimes takes a while just to find places I want to see around me or just to the location of myself on the map (find satellites). I like Google better and its much faster, but I feel your pain about saving locations.

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Google's Turn by Turn Nav has been spot on when I've used it. I'm very happy with it. And the fact that VZW finally has GPS on a device without paying additional for it!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Hey it's FREE and it works extremely well. It has some great features as well.

If some features are missing or not available so be it.

As long as it gets me to point A to point B I'm happy : )

Serialkilla

Reaction score
Saving locations would be nice, but I have to agree, it works awesome for me - the turn by turn is excellent,and best of all, it's FREE! I have no issues with it what-so-ever.

johnflo88

Reaction score
@dejavoo: for heaven sake, it's phone and i'll be happy what it does now, only in beta.Btw, it's FREE! If this was an iphone nobody would have say anything.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
@dejavoo: for heaven sake, it's phone and i'll be happy what it does now, only in beta.Btw, it's FREE! If this was an iphone nobody would have say anything.

Actually an IPhone user I know asked to use my droid for Nav the other day :). Even he knows what doesn't :)

cisco0910

Reaction score
As a lot of you guys said its free. And I also had a carmine but the map was out of date. The droids map updates on The regular. I was strapped for money and I really wanted the droid so what I did was sell my old Garmin for $50, my old Voyager cell for $130, and a Fiji 10M camera I never used for $80. All that paid more then I paid for the droid and I'm extremely pleased

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Actually an IPhone user I know asked to use my droid for Nav the other day :). Even he knows what doesn't :)

Careful you may want to check the device for explosive charges.

JayMonster

Reaction score
I love thoughts that include "all you have to do it" They are always so self serving and pointless. :icon_evil:

Looking at it another way, the Droid did a better job at making a phone into a Navigation device than Garmin did in making a Navigation Device into a phone (which I guess is why it is on at&t... but I digress).

No, the Navigation is not up to the task of having every feature a one trick pony of a GPS has... yet... but in a year from now, I will have updated maps... will you? (for another $80 you will I guess)... oh and how about that streetview? Oh, I'm sorry you don't have that either right? Oh, but there is a library full of car graphics you can download into it... so you got that over the Droid too. Sheesh.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will agree with most of these statements, the thing i will add is this. In the past week i have been able to at least update google maps twice. The biggest upgrade was the ability to view terrain and other awesome layers on the maps. It's funny how people complain not only about a product that is in beta, but that has only been out for a month.

VitsDroid

Reaction score
Well technically you can. Like if I want to save my home address as a favorite: I already have my wife as a contact, I go in and edit the contact and add the home address. So if am am lost and need to go home I can 1. go to the contact and pick navigate from the contact, which appears after you add an address. Or 2. once you contact has an address when in the maps in the search you type your contacts name and the address gets pre-filled. I guess we are not usto useing it this way but it makes a lot of sense. We are not usto having all our contacts on our garmins or tom toms but on the phone if you just put their address in under contacts its just like having favorites. Any how I like the navigation more than my current garmin.

djstar2k2

Reaction score
dude trippin but there is always sumthin to be as i say EXTRA about lol. hell the maps is updatelike once a week it seems. the spot is sort of saved in the drop downlist.or you cant make a contact for these saved places then add from that. hell onstar cost me like 20 bucks a month and googles is as good if not better. i love it plus in the end you go the same places u kinda kno how to get there ummmm....