Finally some clear steps on saving a location in Google Nav

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to save a custom route, and not just a location, yet?

don't know how to do a custom route but every navigation has alternate route possibilities.

HOW TO GET SEVERAL ALTERNATE ROUTES
1. Once you're currently in a navigation (you already chosen navigate)
2. Click on menu>route info
3. three icons appear on the bottom of the screen- choose the middle
4. now 3 alternate routes with times appear on the top of your screen
5. pick one (click on it) and then choose the "lined paper" looking icon on the bottom of the screen to preview it (see the steps)

You back out of a choice by hitting the back button (bottom far left)
Gnav will use the route you've decided to stay on.

This is an awesome GPS and is still in beta-
I consistently get 3 alternate routes to my location... impeccable!

Last edited:

BostonBill

Reaction score
is there a way to take a bunch of addresses and then save them to the phone somehow? Like in google maps online could I put in addresses like "home" or "work" and then get them to the phone without having to input them on the phone itself?

Maybe this isn't what you are looking for but if you long press on any of the home screens pick shortcut then directions and navigation, you can then save locations and directions there.

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
This doesn't work for me, as soon as I go into Menu/More/Starred Items the items disappear and it tells me to log in to maps.google.com. Any idea why?

not sure what's happening.
i'd reccomend going to google maps online and making sure you're signed in.

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
is there a way to take a bunch of addresses and then save them to the phone somehow? Like in google maps online could I put in addresses like "home" or "work" and then get them to the phone without having to input them on the phone itself?

i've done that for my job, wifey's job, home, parents house and brother's house.
here's how:

HOW TO SAVE A MAP/ NAV AND GIVE IT A NAME
1. On your computer go to google maps and create and save maps- give whatever names you choose.
2. One your phone choose menu>layers>more layers
3. click my maps (your google maps are here)

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
If you can tell me how to re-name my starred items to something I can remeber when I want to go back to them, you wil be my hero

In order to rename a starred item you'd have to make a map of the location (in google maps on your computer) or make the address into a contact (on your phone).

billynair

Reaction score
I understand the maps thing, did that way long ago, but how do you "make the address into a contact"? I long pressed it, looked for options in the menu, and didnt see anything readily accessible. The only way I could figure to do it was to do a search on that address (opens a browser) then copy the address from the browser, then open contacts and create a contact, then paste the address in there... whew! there has to be an easier, more direct way to do it!

I know this was 51 weeks ago, but I hope someone has an answer ;-)

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I understand the maps thing, did that way long ago, but how do you "make the address into a contact"? I long pressed it, looked for options in the menu, and didnt see anything readily accessible. The only way I could figure to do it was to do a search on that address (opens a browser) then copy the address from the browser, then open contacts and create a contact, then paste the address in there... whew! there has to be an easier, more direct way to do it!

I know this was 51 weeks ago, but I hope someone has an answer ;-)

Press on the bubble for the address in Maps. A screen comes up with the Nav options. A few items down is "Add to contacts". Press follow prompts until your contact filler page comes up with info filled in. The name of the contact is the address, but the address is in the right place also. If you don't have this in contacts, change the name, and save.

If this address belongs to someone already in your contacts, press Menu>Join>Show all contacts, add to the proper contact

Last edited:

billynair

Reaction score
Ive seen that option before, but cant seem to get it to show on a consistent basis. I did some random spot, pressed the bubble, got the screen that says he address and a streetview pic, the next row is the map icon, the directions icon, the phone icon (grayed out) and the streetview stickman. The list of options are: Whats nearby?; search nearby; share this place; report a problem with the map.
thats it... the menu button does nothing in this screen, and on the main map screen there is no option to save the location.

If I do "Share this location" I can copy the address from the TXT message that it produces, but i would rather it allowed you to automatically add it to a contact, like you said above

I know i have seen that option before, and tried to get back to it, but cant seem to find it. The problem is that there a bunch of google "map" programs. You have maps, navigator, my location... just to name a few, so it is hard to remember which features belong to which app.

billynair

Reaction score
ok, found that you need to make it a "starred location" first, then you can "Add as Contact", now I juts need to find out how to "Join" to an existing contact ;-)

thanks for the help so far!

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
ok, found that you need to make it a "starred location" first, then you can "Add as Contact", now I juts need to find out how to "Join" to an existing contact ;-)

thanks for the help so far!

I am on D1, but I never have to make it a stared location first. When I press on a bubble for an adress, under the icons and "Share this place" and "Search Nearby" is "Add as a contact" for me. Then follow instructions on post #22 to join.

billynair

Reaction score
Ah! there is a "Link" option. Not sure how it works, if you should select the good one first or the address first, but it works, just need to play with it a little more, thanks FunN4Lo