no more unlimited data usage

Jer

Reaction score
Companies will do whatever we allow them to do. Given the fact that most people in this thread have already accepted it as their fate then why would they not? Somewhere is a panel who's job it is to find out how will something like this will go over and if everyone expects it then why wouldn't they? I for one don't accept it and don't expect it and if fewer people were willing to roll over and take stuff companies would have to give more concessions to keep their existing customers happy and attract new customers. Grow a spine people.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
I use wifi @ home more now. It's faster anyway. I will, however, keep expressing my concerns to Verizon.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening. VZ has never adopted that model for minutes, and still have plenty of customers, so what incentive would they have to use it for data?

Sent from my Droid

Sadly, very true. But until Sprint or AT&T provide service rivaling VZW (if ever), then what real choice do we have?

I travel a lot, and if I want reliable service I'm pretty much stuck with VZW and the only viable option.

What I hope to see is VZW offering some really good deals to get people to sign up with FIOS, giving us a nice bundled package that's just too good to resist - VZW wins and we win.

If I want to be cheap and un-lazy, I could start playing the game with min plans and just backdate an upgrade when I expect to go over the limit (done this several times with texts and voice plans, kind of surprised they allow it).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Companies will do whatever we allow them to do. Given the fact that most people in this thread have already accepted it as their fate

An alternative view is most in this thread aren't coming close to 5 gigs a month and would like to see some bandwidth freed up by restraining people who abuse this with tethering and the like. You know, maybe I don't want to subsidize, either thru premiums and/or connection speeds/reliability, people with excessive use.

Jer

Reaction score
Companies will do whatever we allow them to do. Given the fact that most people in this thread have already accepted it as their fate

An alternative view is most in this thread aren't coming close to 5 gigs a month and would like to see some bandwidth freed up by restraining people who abuse this with tethering and the like. You know, maybe I don't want to subsidize, either thru premiums and/or connection speeds/reliability, people with excessive use.

Abuse? How do you abuse something that is advertised as unlimited use? I don't tether but I also don't want to do away with unlimited because that means that it's another way for VZW to slowly start upping prices to where even light users are paying more than they were before.

Philba

Reaction score
The word "abuse" is a bit loaded and it will provoke negative reactions.

However, I think it's fair to say that those that only use, say, 2GB/month are subsidizing those who use 20GB/month. I don't think it's unreasonable for those that consume more of a limited resource to pay more for their consumption. A tiered plan is but one way to do this.

I expect to see tiered plans from all the carriers. My biggest fear is that the carriers will set the tiers low and try to extract significantly more revenue than they are getting now. I don't know if the AT&T tier of 2GB/mo is reasonable but we shall soon see...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Recent Phandroid article reports VZW is seeing a 5X increase in data usage from Droid owners.

Article on Engadget might shed a little light on possible plan prices....Currently offers prepaid mobile broadband in buckets from 100MB to 1GB ranging from $15 to $50. Rumor is a 5GB prepaid plan is coming in August for $80!. That's worrisome - if they cap at 2GB and bump to $35 per month, a 5GB plan could easily run $50.

stryguy

Reaction score
Will VZ's premium services be free of this download cap? You better believe it!

Want to stream some videos from their Premium $15 a month service, SURE! Go right ahead.. Download cap free!

Want to stream some Youtube.. Hell no.. They're going to count every byte.

Fool people into thinking it's because they're stopping "Abuse" and of course pander to everyone by stating "Why should the average user subsidize the abusive one. What a polarizing and fake statement. Unless the average data plan is going to be significantly cheaper then my current data plan (which it obviously won't be) then I wasn't subsidizing anything was I? Now I'll just be subsidizing your bottom line, right VZ?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Unless the average data plan is going to be significantly cheaper then my current data plan (which it obviously won't be) then I wasn't subsidizing anything was I? Now I'll just be subsidizing your bottom line, right VZ?

No, it's a valid argument. Unless they have loads and loads of free bandwidth, to the extent the "abusers" cause network issuers for others they are being subsidized in some form. Or you might say they are currently "free riding" - $30 could be a fair price, but people wanting to use 5-10gigs or more a month of ever dwindling bandwidth should be paying more.

And if they cap at 5 gigs or even 2 gigs and you use less than that, than how exactly are you negatively affected?

My usage has been fairly consistent. I've yet to hit 1 gig in a month, although I use wifi all the time at home. But when I start traveling a lot again for my job, I could see maybe hitting two gigs a month. Even if I start d/ling movies to watch (or maybe even tv shows with slingbox), I'm more likely to watch on my PC, and even if I were to watch on the Droid most likely I'd d/l to PC over a broadband connection and then transfer to Droid.

I'm not a big texter so I don't know if people getting hundreds a day see high data useage, otherwise I think the Droid really has to be attached at the hip to go much over 2 gigs a month.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Oh, It's easier than you think, trust me. :-S
But I'm not going to worry about it until I hear it from Verizon, and even then not till contract time -- and things can change a lot between now and then.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Oh, It's easier than you think, trust me. :-S

Good point....I'm forgetting about flash. But you're talking like 16 hours of pandora to get 1 gig a month, which I suppose is achievable if you play pandora every day on your commute....Anyway, seems like a good topic for a poll!

Droid_3.0

Reaction score
Well i Guess im going with sprint. Wonder how many people will switch to sprint when this happens.

But who knows maby this is just a bunch of lies.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well i Guess im going with sprint. Wonder how many people will switch to sprint when this happens.

But who knows maby this is just a bunch of lies.

OK, let me be the first to say...

"a lot of good that unlimited data will do you when you can't connect or find a signal"