nexus vs galaxy s2

nineSSix209

Reaction score
Im stuck between these two I currently have Verizon but its time for a upgrade so I was thinking of getting the nexus but the galaxy s2 caught my eye for att can I get some pros and cons or maybe why to choose one over the other ?? thanks

Briankbl

Reaction score
The galaxy S2 has a slightly better camera and a much better processor. The galaxy nexus is pretty much better in everything else.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tested the Nexus vs the S2 last night with a friend. I was getting more accurate color on pictures and the Nexus took them faster.

The speed of the phones seemed the same.

His was nice that it was so wide - had a great screen (the S2).

His was lighter, standard battery on both.

I think both are the top two phones you can buy. I would still choose the Nexus.

Reaction score
It has a much better GPU but I don't think it has a better CPU. I like the Galaxy Nexus' display better because 1) it's larger and 2) it has a higher resolution. Plus, there's going to be so many ROMs of the Galaxy Nexus because it has an unlocked bootloader. I don't really know THAT much about the SII but I know you'll probably want the SII Skyrocket for ATT because it has LTE and the 4.5" display,

DjSmooth

Reaction score
I would go with the Galaxy Nexus:
First at getting updates
ICS
Much better display
Unlocked bootloader,
Attention from the Developers
Verizon LTE average download 16-27mbps 7-10mbps down in contrast to Sprint struggling to reach 5mbps down and 1mbps up

Just to name a few.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Creed

Reaction score
If you you purely want performance than the only choice for you is the Nexus.
  • The OMAP4460 is a higher binned chip which will run with the lowest voltage at 1.5GHz of all the chips in the various Galaxy S2s.
  • The RAM on the two phones are the same but the OMAP4460 has a dual-channel memory controller which increases performance tremendously (some tests on PCs show it making up for up to 2x the amount of RAM e.g. 16g RAM having same benchmarks as 8g RAM with a duel-channel memory controller Phenom.)
  • The 32gigs of flash memory is tremendously faster than any SD card on the market.
  • The screen is better in every way.
  • Even the Nexus's GPU is better, the Galaxy's
    Mali-400MP is clocked at 275MHz while the Nexus's SGX is clocked at 384MHz.​
I dont know what you mean by performance but the HARDWARE is only slightly better but it IS better.

wolstonc

Reaction score
The Nexus has better hardware. The S2 has a better 4g network if you're in a LTE area. They aren't having outages like vzw yet, and when you lose 4g lte you drop to atts regular 4g and then 3g, whereas with vzw you drop straight to 3g. But if you're grandfathered in with unlimited its no question here

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

orion2001

Reaction score
If you you purely want performance than the only choice for you is the Nexus.
  • The OMAP4460 is a higher binned chip which will run with the lowest voltage at 1.5GHz of all the chips in the various Galaxy S2s.
  • The RAM on the two phones are the same but the OMAP4460 has a dual-channel memory controller which increases performance tremendously (some tests on PCs show it making up for up to 2x the amount of RAM e.g. 16g RAM having same benchmarks as 8g RAM with a duel-channel memory controller Phenom.)
  • The 32gigs of flash memory is tremendously faster than any SD card on the market.
  • The screen is better in every way.
  • Even the Nexus's GPU is better, the Galaxy's
    Mali-400MP is clocked at 275MHz while the Nexus's SGX is clocked at 384MHz.​

I dont know what you mean by performance but the HARDWARE is only slightly better but it IS better.
I'm sorry, but you come across as either a fan boy or misinformed. As much as I love my GN, and would recommend it to the OP, it simply is not true that the Nexus GPU is better than the Galaxy S2. Clockspeeds don't mean all that much when comparing two different chips with different architectures.

The S2 trounces the GN when it comes to 3D performance: Galaxy Nexus Benchmarked, Beats iPhone 4S in Browsing

I really wanted the S2 to come to VZW, but I'm happy with the GN. To be honest, the GN doesn't have any top of the line hardware...it pretty much matches most of the other top phones at best but on the GPU front, it does lack a bit of oomph.

I would argue for the GN over the S2, not because of hardware (the S2 is superior by a smalle extent imo, and much better phones are around the corner), but because it is a pure Google device designed for ICS, and for the fast updates and fantastic dev support. I don't swap phones every six months...so I am in it for the long haul, and no other phone will be supported as well, both by Google and by all the fantastic devs over the 2 year life span of this phone. Just look at Samsung announcing that the Galaxy S won't get ICS (though they might have backtracked after the uproar from consumers).

Besides, Rooting & ROMing is half the fun of having an Android device ;)

Sources:
Galaxy Nexus Aces Initial Benchmark Tests
Galaxy Nexus Benchmarked, Beats iPhone 4S in Browsing

Last edited:

WookieClaws

Reaction score
I personally don't like touch wiz, so for me there was no option. I have always admired Samsung hardware, but touch wiz kept me away from their phones.

Faster OS updates, and the promise of support for much longer made the choice easy for me. Samsung isn't updating the Galaxy S to ICS so I wonder how long they will really support the SII (again I think it's a touch wiz thing, but could also be sales strategy).

orion2001

Reaction score
I personally don't like touch wiz, so for me there was no option. I have always admired Samsung hardware, but touch wiz kept me away from their phones.

Faster OS updates, and the promise of support for much longer made the choice easy for me. Samsung isn't updating the Galaxy S to ICS so I wonder how long they will really support the SII (again I think it's a touch wiz thing, but could also be sales strategy).

You hit the nail on the head (and I think you posted while I was editing my post above with a similar point). For the long haul, the GN is a much better bet than the S2 when it comes to support for new OS releases and features...not to mention the fantastic dev community around the GN.

As far as touchwiz goes...it is a personal thing. I think many of us folks here on the forums are more "hardcore" and prefer to have a stock rom without any "bloat", but my wife is really enjoying all the extra additions and widgets that come along with Sense on her Rezound. I personally prefer (like you) a stock ICS experience that I can then tailor as I see fit.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
As far as touchwiz goes...it is a personal thing. I think many of us folks here on the forums are more "hardcore" and prefer to have a stock rom without any "bloat", but my wife is really enjoying all the extra additions and widgets that come along with Sense on her Rezound. I personally prefer (like you) a stock ICS experience that I can then tailor as I see fit.

I think the "skins" are great for many people. I've used HTC phones with Sense and had the X2 with blur. Sense was pretty snappy, but blur felt sluggish (might have been the X2 though). My wife got the D3 and is very happy with it, especially when I showed her Go Launcher EX, lol. She is a widget fiend, lol.

Like you I enjoy stock android, and can customize it from there to my liking. ICS is a game changer imo, I think many users will be happy with the look, feel, and operation of it.

x25064

Reaction score
The only S2's worth mentioning are the Epic Touch and the t-mobile variant. For whatever reason all the Skyrockets I have tried have some noticeable lag. (I blame this on the snapdragon processor since I have yet to a handset with one that didn't stutter.)

If you really want the S2, get the Epic Touch, as its not only the fastest tested phone thus far, it comes with the original intended Exynos chipset, which absolutely screams. Its a damn shame the gnex didn't come with them, but from what I've been reading, certain chips don't play well with LTE. All in all, I will say the Eptouch is the best phone in the world currently. (HD screen aside) A real travesty that it cannot be flashed to verizon, otherwise I wouldn't own a nexus.

If you have grandfathered unlimited, the choice is obivous, stay with VZW and stick it to the man. Also, FWIW, running roms on a gnex not only clears its problems, but significantly improves its performance.