Nexus vs Bionic

Al Neri

Reaction score
I have had my Bionic since launch and had very few issues with it (mostly just the nationwide outages which affected all phones). Lately I have been getting a lot of force closes using Handcent but it is relatively minor. So in general I am pretty happy with the phone but I am now in a position to get a Samsung Galaxy nexus for $80. My wife has an upgrade available on her plan that she won't use and the sales guy said they would give me $112 as a trade in for my Bionic. I have read some threads on the Nexus forum and see a lot of complaining about connecting (kinda like the Bionic forum). I am torn as I really do like the Bionic but the Nexus has ICS (which is coming to the Bionic sometime between now and my death) but the Nexus seems like the better phone.

Is there anybody out there with experience with both who has a preference either way? I have played with the Nexus in the store and it is very smooth but feels foreign because I am so used to my phone. I am really looking for opinions, things I might be overlooking that sort of thing. I will post this on both forums to get both sides takes on what to do. I mean this deal just seems to good to pass up. A big downside though is I have a few accessories (extended batteries, car dock, chargers etc) that aren't compatible with the Nexus.

Please post your opinions.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I like the Bionic but there is nothing I like better than the Nexus. If you dont run in to any reception issues in your area I would switch for sure!

OP
Al Neri

Al Neri

Reaction score
My area recently got upgraded and now I am constantly in 4g. I haven't had a drop in I don't know how long.

I am pretty torn as I like this phone a lot. I don't do much of anything in the way of modding the phone so the unlocked bootloader doesn't mean much to me. I do worry that my BIONIC will start to suffer like my original DROID and be laggy and slow but so far I have no issues. I appreciate the input.

alboboy10

Reaction score
The most recent update to the phone made it ridiculously fast. It was fast before but now it's super fast

rjcapp

Reaction score
I have both. Gave my wife the bionic.

The bionic has better signal. The new ota for the nexus did help but to me the bionic is better. Just my opinion.

I prefer the nexus display. Way nicer.

ICS is awesome. The bionic will get it Q3.

I prefer the Bionic phone functions.

the speaker on the nexus sucks.

Both have acceptable extended batteries. Nexus is thinner.

I really like both.

Apps are finally catching up to ICS.

I prefer the nexus but I am very disappointed with the connection issues. I travel a lot and experience way too many signal issues. A lot worse than the bionic.

If I were you I'd wait to see if something new comes out not limited to the new iPhone.

I'll close with the nexus is a great smart phone but I don't think your gaining a whole lot unless your into custom ROMs'. I honestly regret switching far too often.

Last edited:

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
Had the Bionic for about two months. It was a good phone until suddenly I got plagued with data issues. Then I got 3 replacements and holy crud.....bad. so many problems and all at different ends of the spectrum. To address your Nexus connection issue, I had a few drops but ever since I got 4.0.4....good bye everything that was kinda annoying about this phone haha!

So I'd say if your bionic is running good keep the update and wait to see what's around the corner. :)

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I said this to someone at another forum that had the same question: be careful of the grass is greener syndrome. I told him to keep his Bionic just in case. The end result was he went back to his Bionic....cuz like you....he said it wasnt giving him many problems. And his G Nex was giving him some, mainly the reception.

Just like there are many G Nex owners who arent having any problems...there are many Bionic owners the same way. Many Bionic owners who think the screen is fine, many that like the battery life, many that like the reception. So many ppl rave about the Rezound screen and reception.. I have one...and in both cases I dont see it. So get some hands on time for some weeks if you can if you decide to get a G Nex.

But I will advise you to hold on to your Bionic, just in case.

Caesars

Reaction score
Looks like the new Samsung phone is about to launch also!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

locofocos

Reaction score
Post the same thread twice eh? My extended thoughts on the subject. You probably have unlimited data right? If that Nexus dies in 3 years, the Bionic will keep you going so you don't have to upgrade (giving away your unlimited data) or pay full retail for a new phone. I would recommend keeping it. Plus, it's still a pretty good phone. It makes for one heck of a GPS navigation/music player to save your Nexus stress/battery life if you want.

Imprisoned

Reaction score
My area recently got upgraded and now I am constantly in 4g. I haven't had a drop in I don't know how long.

I am pretty torn as I like this phone a lot. I don't do much of anything in the way of modding the phone so the unlocked bootloader doesn't mean much to me. I do worry that my BIONIC will start to suffer like my original DROID and be laggy and slow but so far I have no issues. I appreciate the input.

I had the Bionic for a week, for me it just wasn't enough of an upgrade over the Droid X for me to keep it. I understand your concerns about your Bionic becoming laggy/glitchy at some point during it's life cycle. I have yet to have a Motorola phone that didn't become slow and laggy with some sort of glitch before my upgrade.

I've had a Razor " flip ", Droid 1, Motorola flip phone that I can't remember the model, and a Droid X and EVERY single one became laggy with in 6 months to a year. I'm almost to the point I don't know if I'll ever buy another Moto phone again. Google buying them may change my mind in the future.

I will admit I enjoyed every Moto phone I ever had until they ALL started messing up, it's not an issue with design and features, it seems to be a issue with using cheap parts to build the damn things.

I didn't own the Bionic long enough to compare that phone to the Nexus, but I do know with all Moto smart phones they have Moto Blur, and I have to say I miss having a UI on my smart phone. If I could get a Bionic or Razr Maxx and know for a fact for the FIRST TIME I'd get a Moto phone that didn't ever have lag/glitch issues I'd go Moto over the Nexus.

I really miss having a UI, if the Nexus had one I would most likely love it, but if it did I suppose it would defeat the purpose of the vanilla experience. On that note if your not a hacker/modder the vanilla experience might not be for you.

Since the OTA update the Nexus is a solid phone, but after using it for 6 months I'd have to say to anyone asking about buying one, if your not going to mod or hack the phone you may not like the plain interface. This phone truly is meant for you to make it your own, and if you don't do that like me, you may be disappointed.

I do want to say, I've had ZERO lag or any kind of glitching with this phone, and I'm at the point in the life cycle I started having issues with ALL my Moto phones.

I wish they had two versions of this phone, a user interface that makes things simple and add's features for the average user, and this version for the modders....

Last edited:

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I have and love the Bionic. Have absolutely zero issues now, and the lap dock only makes it even better. But, it's a preference..