Nexus Owners Get Ready for 5.1

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Actually it is easier. The nexus 7 2012 and 2013 are exactly the same. They both should have been updated together.

I do software development, I know how sdlc works.

Exactly the same? There are several hardware differences between the 2012 and 2013 models of the Nexus 7 that can impact software development. Just the use of two different processors (Tegra 3 vs Snapdragon S4 Pro) can be enough to delay the development of software for one versus the other.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Exactly the same? There are several hardware differences between the 2012 and 2013 models of the Nexus 7. Just the use of two different processors (Tegra 3 vs Snapdragon S4 Pro) can be enough to delay the development of software for one versus the other.
I don't see it. More ram and a different processor.

That's like me not being able to release an app because someone is using a dual core processor and I'm using an I5. Unless you're sunsetting a version, you code backwards compatibility. Meaning lollipop will work on a 2012 and 2013. It obviously will work smoother and faster on the newer tech but its not like apple where you need to buy a new computer for an OS upgrade(yes I'm being factitious).

I'd love to get into android development, just no time. I enjoy life outside my office too much.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
So they don't need any device specific drivers rewritten to make sure compatibility with each device as each new version of software is written?

Still, releasing an OS for every device at once is asinine. I don't upgrade every network device on my network at once, and that is thousands of devices. Different hardware and different software/firmware versions. Why on earth would Google rollout updates to all devices at once? While I understand your argument, it would be poor practice.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I said line, not every device.

A line would be nexus 7s not every nexus! Jesus that would be insane.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I don't see it. More ram and a different processor.

That's like me not being able to release an app because someone is using a dual core processor and I'm using an I5. Unless you're sunsetting a version, you code backwards compatibility. Meaning lollipop will work on a 2012 and 2013. It obviously will work smoother and faster on the newer tech but its not like apple where you need to buy a new computer for an OS upgrade(yes I'm being factitious).

I'd love to get into android development, just no time. I enjoy life outside my office too much.

The processor has a major impact on the system software on mobile devices. For every OEM that uses more than one processor in the same product line, there's a slightly different development process for each. For instance, Samsung has often used an Exynos processor for international variants of a device and a Snapdragon processor for North American variants (and a few other regions that do see unbranded releases) of the same device. The Exynos usually sees system software updates first because Samsung develops for that processor first. They don't have to then build things from the ground up for the Snapdragon variants, but changes must be made to support the different processor and provide the same user experience. That's consistent across OEMs and processors when it comes to mobile devices. The system software designed for use with one processor usually doesn't work on models using a different processor.

It's no different with the Nexus 7 2012 vs 2013. Different processors require some changes in the software.

I said line, not every device.

A line would be nexus 7s not every nexus! Jesus that would be insane.

See my point above. Other OEMs who use different processors for the same line - even the same model year - have to create separate software builds to account for the differences in processors.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Okay!! My head was spinning for a bit there. I was really confused. I am a skim reader. Sometimes, not often, but sometimes I miss key words.

Still, with hardware differences in the N7 2012 and 2013, doesn't that require more work to create an OS that fully supports each piece of hardware, as opposed to one OS that supports all hardware? Isn't there still quite a bit of work that needs to be done.

I figure it is just as easy to do one device at a time. With multiple versions of each phone coming out with different hardware, I assumed they have to do some work (N7 2012 WiFi, LTE; N7 2013 WiFi, LTE). Does the non-LTE version still get the same software without LTE capability.

I am genuinely curious. I assumed each hardware model had to have it's own version. Each device needed OEM and component support (which I assume would come from the OEMs).

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
And you explained it all before I finished my question. :(

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok let's split the difference here and say they have to do a slow roll out, so they can catch issues. Would it not be best to go top down (newest first). Then again 5.1 was built for Android one which is lower tiered hardware aka hardware that is one to two years old. So it would be easier to push to the older nexus first.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Ok let's split the difference here and say they have to do a slow roll out, so they can catch issues. Would it not be best to go top down (newest first). Then again 5.1 was built for Android one which is lower tiered hardware aka hardware that is one to two years old. So it would be easier to push to the older nexus first.

It could also be that there was a hiccup with development for the Nexus 6, such as a hardware difference or a feature that won't be available on the older devices (such as Google's upcoming MVNO that will supposedly only work with the Nexus 6 at launch).

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
My only guess is that they had the releases for the three devices pretty much ironed out, enough to confidently release them. They may take a few days or week longer to do the latest Nexus 6/9--if those are now their flagship devices, they might want them to be as flawless as possible. (Which I know is impossible with software.)

And heck, the releases have only been out 24 hours. It's not like we're being told 5.1 is being delayed weeks/months/never, like with my old non-Nexus devices. They could be released today...tomorrow...a couple of days...nothing to panic about yet. :)

I actually like the current silent mode--being able to turn all notifications completely off, or just accept priority notifications from starred contacts. I did notice a bug, though--my LG G Watch only vibrates if I allow all notifications. Set to Priority, I still get notifications, but no vibration. It is nice to be able to control which mode it is in via the watch.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And heck, the releases have only been out 24 hours. It's not like we're being told 5.1 is being delayed weeks/months/never, like with my old non-Nexus devices. They could be released today...tomorrow...a couple of days...nothing to panic about yet. :)

Too late, already in full panic mode.
screaming-reaction-gif-colbert.gif

Nexus users are spoiled. When we see a software get loaded up on one nexus we get like children and wonder where our update is at. :D

ar126289385552115.jpg

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Nexus users are spoiled. When we see a software get loaded up on one nexus we get like children and wonder where our update is at. :D

True dat. :D I lived with the HTC Thunderbolt for a while, and the broken promises of updates should serve as my own reminder that I was a lot worse off back then.

My own anxiety is due to 5.0.1 being somewhat unstable on both of the Nexus 4s in the house. Of course, I'm also considering getting a Nexus 5 and keeping one of the 4s as a household spare. But I've had enough expenses these past two months.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
True dat. :D I lived with the HTC Thunderbolt for a while, and the broken promises of updates should serve as my own reminder that I was a lot worse off back then.

My own anxiety is due to 5.0.1 being somewhat unstable on both of the Nexus 4s in the house. Of course, I'm also considering getting a Nexus 5 and keeping one of the 4s as a household spare. But I've had enough expenses these past two months.

yup I too lived through the thunderbolt nightmare. Roms got me through that nightmare, Thanks Jcase (though I doubt he will see this as he probably dont frequent this site).

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
LiquidSmooth did me well back then. I still have the phone, in fact--I use it on WiFi (partly as a remote, but also to make the occasional call via the Hangouts Dialer), and also throw it in the car on long trips, as I can still dial 911 on the Verizon network if my T-Maybe coverage isn't good in a remote area.

A buddy gave me the Tbolt. It came completely stock--I immediately put a ROM on it which got rid of all the bloatware (Blockbuster? Really??) and the Sense UI. It ran great after that, and battery life was never a problem. Had it overclocked to ~1.7GHz if I recall, and wasn't too shabby for a single-core processor.

We're spoiled alright--pure AOSP, no carrier bloatware, and...dang it, where's my 5.1 update for the Nexus 4?? :mad: