Nexus Owners Get Ready for 5.1

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
When I see the Nexus 6 files, I may consider flashing them and leaving CM12 until that gets updated. I want to see if the wifi calling works well.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
WiFi calling seems cool. I really wonder how well it is going to work. I know a few things about WiFi and 802.11. I wonder what methods will be employed to maintain things like call quality. I can't wait to see what the response is.

I am happy this will fix my issues with WiFi and Cell disconnecting and reconnecting. Otherwise, I really like LP.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
WiFi calling seems cool. I really wonder how well it is going to work. I know a few things about WiFi and 802.11. I wonder what methods will be employed to maintain things like call quality. I can't wait to see what the response is.

I am happy this will fix my issues with WiFi and Cell disconnecting and reconnecting. Otherwise, I really like LP.

I mainly use google voice (dialer) for wifi calling. What app/service provider do you use?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
9416e7e80ceb4f0c50f844a8fc0bc4aa.jpg

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I don't for WiFi calling. But if I did use one, it would just be a softphone for my PBX at my office. Basically my own phone service provider thanks to the company I work for.

And I would only use it on 5Ghz in my area. We have so much 2.4Ghz noise from the neighbors.

The point being, with the call quality people are going to expect, I have to wonder what their thoughts were on interference from neighboring routers that will cause call quality issues.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am going to have to wait for my nexus 6 to check out forced encryption. But I am still looking for changes. So far the only thing I noticed was the WiFi calling but there could be a lot of under the hood improvements. For those who hated Google's volume control, looks as if Google went with the "tough/too bad" approach. I would hope Google update their settings to allow people to choose the old style option. For me I am good with the volume option but enough people have complained to where I think it warrants the option to choose the old style even if by default Google starts with the new style.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Not sure I understand the continued beef about the silent mode. It is faster now to go to silent mode than before. I understand at first being thrown off, but by now I like it better than the old way of just turning the ringer all the way down.

Heck, I can even set the mode from my watch, don't need to take my phone out of my pocket.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I really do not understand Google's logic. How do the Nexus 5, Nexus 10, and Nexus 7 (2012) get updated before the Nexus 6, Nexus 9, and Nexus Player. It is like Google is going backwards from the way other manufacturers do. With that said, I had not found any real differences between 5.1 and 5.02.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Verizon Rep Supposedly Confirms Nexus 6 Launching March 12th Shipping March 19th Android Forum at DroidForums.net

^I am hoping Google is not going to wait until after the verizon release date to release 5.1 to the rest of us? Just because Vzw want to take their time and do a half hearted nexus 6 release does not mean Google should kiss their backside and allow them exclusive release of 5.1 and holding the rest of the community back a few days. Then again they could upload it today and this post would be forgotten.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I really do not understand Google's logic. How do the Nexus 5, Nexus 10, and Nexus 7 (2012) get updated before the Nexus 6, Nexus 9, and Nexus Player. It is like Google is going backwards from the way other manufacturers do. With that said, I had not found any real differences between 5.1 and 5.02.
I don't get that either. Update the whole line at once.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Easier said than done. But we should all know this by now. We all really know the answer to this question.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Easier said than done. But we should all know this by now. We all really know the answer to this question.
Actually it is easier. The nexus 7 2012 and 2013 are exactly the same. They both should have been updated together.

I do software development, I know how sdlc works.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
It isn't always a software compatibility issue. Imagine supporting every device you push the update to all at once, especially if something goes wrong.