Nexus is hot.

Dfit18

Reaction score
Does anyone else's nexus get hot while using or sitting in your pocket? Witch light use, my nexus is at 96 degrees (according to a temp widget) and if I starting using it more it jumps to 102-104 degrees. I have even seen 107. The back and the screen get very warm and my battery drains like no tomorrow. Just wondering if I'm alone on this or has anyone else experienced it as well. Should I possibly look into getting a replacement. Also, I'm using the extended Samsung battery along with the normal one.

MrKleen

Reaction score
It could be an app going crazy... Are you rooted and running a rom? I have had a few roms that seemed to run hotter than others and after switching to something else it is fine again.

I doubt there is any reason to get a replacement for such a simple thing.... I would first check for any crazy apps, then If you were on a rom I would switch to a different one. If you are not rooted I would do a factory data reset.

After doing these things I bet you would be fine.

OP
Dfit18

Dfit18

Reaction score
I'm rooted and running the latest Jelly Belly rom, no custom kernels. Even before I was rooted and rom'd the phone would get rather hot for no reason. I may factory reset and start from scratch .

alboboy10

Reaction score
No it's normal.
My phone has gone up to 118 when using it while charging. Right now its at 90 but if I use it for 5 minutes it'll be up at 99.
I left my phone out in the car yesterday in a convertible and it was sunny out when I picked it up it was burning up at 110 and the battery was flying.

This phone runs VERY hot. My friend who has an iPhone got this phone for work and he was mocking it about how it always gets hot in front of the screen up top and near the camera. And yea he's right. It's sad that a Google product has these problems and the HTC and Motorola phones I've owned didnt.

Those are the biggest problems with this phone in my opinion. It gets hot very quickly and the battery is pretty bad and inconsistent.

Radios are not bad, GPS is not bad, dropped data isn't terrible...some may be sub par or not Motorola quality but they're fine. They work.

I hope Google keeps this in mind with their next phone and sorts these glitches out. I'm hoping the next nexus is a motorola

alboboy10

Reaction score
And there u go. As I said, finished the message here read a text and sent a text and see the temp?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Mine is sitting at 82F while charging right now. However, after a few texts, light browsing, and it could go up about 10F degrees.

Check your apps, especially the refresh intervals, it may be refreshing every hour or so which would make the temp rise as it pulls data. Mine only sits at 95F+ after some moderate use. Otherwise it goes back down to low- to mid 80Fs on idle.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
This happens to me if I'm in an area where the signal is weak. The phone goes crazy trying to keep a signal and heats up and kills battery.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I would stay with jellybean... also keep in mind a factory reset will not take you back to stock, it will simply refresh whatever software you are running.

Maybe flash a different ROM.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
This happens to me if I'm in an area where the signal is weak. The phone goes crazy trying to keep a signal and heats up and kills battery.

+1 This. I had the same issue. When searching for a signal or in an area with a weak signal, the device will use up the battery, and get hot.