Galaxy Nexus (LTE) running very hot when in use

HTC1

Reaction score
mine used to get hot but not anymore....I use 100% brightness

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

soulshot96

Reaction score
This phone definetly has sum issues like battery life and heating up but I think it all has to do with the android os and system using so much power, which is a software issue obviously so it will more than likely be fixed.

What316

Reaction score
Right now I'm at 31C after normal usage. I don't think I've been over 40C. And idle is usually around 22-25C. It feels hotter though in the top right corner near the camera.

I've noticed that it runs hotter on 3G than on wifi. No 4G in my area.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ice456789

Reaction score
I've found that my phone often gets hot even when I'm not using it. Sometimes I can feel it baking even in my pocket. Take it out, look at it, nothing going on. Also when it is baking like that it is killing the battery like mad. I have narrowed it down to two possibilities.

1) Low signal - when the phone is grasping for a signal it seems to send more juice to the 4g/3g radios. This makes them heat up and chew through batteries. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm in an area with bad reception, it could be that my pants are degrading the signal. There is, after all, a party in my pants. You're not invited, sorry.

2) Facebook - Christmas shopping at the mall the past 3 days I've noticed the heat/ battery drain issue. A few days ago I installed Pure Messenger and had it get my Facebook and twitter posts. That day I noticed the battery drain and blamed it on Pure Messenger (innocent, it's a good app). I removed the widget. The next day while shopping I saw the battery draining and went through my running programs. Facebook was there, even though I had only opened it once the day before. It was not listed by the battery app but when I killed it within 5 minutes the phone cooled down and battery drain went back to normal. Today halfway through shopping (I hate malls) I opened up facebook. Before that moment the phone hadn't heated up at all. Afterwards, heat and battery drain.

So those are the likely suspects for my heat issues. In my case it had nothing to do with the screen because I was noticing it even with the screen off and the phone in my pocket. Anyone else noticing this try killing facebook and see if that helps (and make sure none of your widgets are polling it).

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Most heat issues from 4G phones are when they're having to search constantly for a 4G signal. It's like when you use GPS and notice your phone getting hot, it's constantly using the GPS to adjust your location so it heats up.

chadh1

Reaction score
I noticed my phone getting pretty warm around the camera when charging it, but didn't notice it otherwise.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine did get hot, but some undervolting cleared that right up. This thing can take crazy low values

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine stays between 87-94F. Is that good?

That's where mine hovered before undervolting. I'm idling at about 70F and haven't hit higher than 86F through moderate use (a little web browsing , texts, calls)

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Most likely it's monitoring your CPU temp, which even 150F is easily within safe limits. We actually monitor CPU temperature in Celsius, so you're looking to stay below 60-65C at max load.

skippy311

Reaction score
so having similar issues, but what i dont get, how are u guys getting cpu/gpu temps? all i can find is a battery temp. just bought it 3 days ago, love it, but as nice as it is, the phone isnt useful to me if i need to take the battery out every time i wanna use the thing.

OP
C

ChenHuangdi

Reaction score
my temps and battery life have been better after disabling google's location services.
its still gets hot for seemingly no reasons...when its not under heavy load, good signal, bad signal...its been odd. it does lose battery very quickly when that happens.
my OG droid used to get like that when running Words with Friends and battery would get demolished.

i wonder if its apps just not being perfect with ICS yet? The ROMs seem to be fixing some issues with different kernels...
I finally have a couple days off from work, so I am going to do some testing in my highly unscientific way to see if I am going to warranty return or not.

captdroid

Reaction score
my temps and battery life have been better after disabling google's location services.
its still gets hot for seemingly no reasons...when its not under heavy load, good signal, bad signal...its been odd. it does lose battery very quickly when that happens.
my OG droid used to get like that when running Words with Friends and battery would get demolished.

i wonder if its apps just not being perfect with ICS yet? The ROMs seem to be fixing some issues with different kernels...
I finally have a couple days off from work, so I am going to do some testing in my highly unscientific way to see if I am going to warranty return or not.

yea your GN should not be running HOT. Mine has gotten a little warm when doing allot of 4g while away recently but definitely not hot doing that or when using for GPS which I do quite allot. lol I rhyme :D

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Doing anything CPU + Network intensive will increase your Processor usage and increase heat. Streaming videos, Gaming, etc, will all cause the device to get warm. A lot of people are saying its "Very Hot" No... A fresh cup of coffee is "Very Hot" and I highly doubt you are holding it in your hands. If your phone melts, take it back and swap it under warranty. If you are worried about it, Call verizon and have them notate that you called about the heat issue, and that you are worried it may cause damage.. that way if it does, you are covered.

Smokie

Reaction score
Doing anything CPU + Network intensive will increase your Processor usage and increase heat. Streaming videos, Gaming, etc, will all cause the device to get warm. A lot of people are saying its "Very Hot" No... A fresh cup of coffee is "Very Hot" and I highly doubt you are holding it in your hands. If your phone melts, take it back and swap it under warranty. If you are worried about it, Call verizon and have them notate that you called about the heat issue, and that you are worried it may cause damage.. that way if it does, you are covered.

well put. my Gnex runs pretty hot. I stream netflix all day at work. reaches temps close to 120F. my og droid did exactly the same thing once I over clocked it. never had problems due to temp.