Galaxy Nexus (LTE) running very hot when in use

ChenHuangdi

Reaction score
Does anyone else GNex run hot when using for a bit? Mine starts to get pretty hot near the camera lens after about 10 minutes...even hot to the touch through the glass, not just the back.

I'm going to try and use a laser thermometer tomorrow to try and get an actual temp.

Thanks.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Nope. Used mine many times watching youtube videos too at 30% brightness and never got that warm.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mine did at first, but then it stopped.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
C

ChenHuangdi

Reaction score
I'm wondering if its a kernel issue. I know different phones will all run differently. Just trying to figure out if it is a manufacturer defect so I can return it.
Maybe the 4.0.3 update will fix it.

I'm surprised to have not seen this issue anywhere else...I can't be the only one

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Definitely possible. Otherwise, I know its normal to get hot while charging.

OP
C

ChenHuangdi

Reaction score
This is definitely beyond normal heating up. There are a couple other posts out there...I'm not losing my mind!
Its looking like a return may be in order....better sooner than later since no removable SD card means backing everything up to the computer...

wolstonc

Reaction score
mine gets hot but not that hot. Lower your brightness

OP
C

ChenHuangdi

Reaction score
Have the brightness on lowest setting and still getting hot :(

I'm open to other suggestions but if not being able to use key features (auto brightness) or having to run custom kernels I might as well return for a new phone. Hell its under warranty anyways.

higgins

Reaction score
Mines been running hot also. I dont have any games on yet ,but if i read any news apps or just browse the internet ,it heats up within 5 mins . In the same spot near the speaker at the top and the back. ill be exchangeing mine for a new one. Still damn good phoneDancingNexus

OP
C

ChenHuangdi

Reaction score
Oh yea, the phone is AWESOME....I definitely love the phone itself!

jedgtucker

Reaction score
Mine has been running very hot everytime LTE is in full use. I thought maybe that was normal considering there's so much crammed in such a small space, and given its been so cold in Cali, it makes a great hand warmer. It then developed a small hariline crack in the screen even though I've never dropped it or otherwise abused it, which has since gotten steadily bigger, especially when I do heavy LTE use. I'm now thinking the two are related, but unsure if Verizon will accept this as a return

Check out my comment on this post:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-general-discussions/189603-cracked-screen.html

OP
C

ChenHuangdi

Reaction score
Now I'm definitely going to return it...even with insurance I am not shelling out 100$ for the deductible.
I cannot believe that they won't honor the phone's warranty.

SSandro25

Reaction score
mine also gets hot and no its not the screen . Sensors shut my screen off when the phone is up to my ear as it slow cooks my earlobe. Something is def cooking in this beast. Hope its nothing serious cause I really really love this phone.