Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Just wanted to update:

Today I tried out a game called Order and Chaos online, played it for 45min over 4g with the phone plugged in and man.. it was HOT. Not like warm to the touch, but the metal/chrome plastic around the camera literally felt like it was close to burning temps. My battery temp was around 135*f at the time so I know the internals were much higher... Be careful if you do anything over 4g that is cpu/gpu intensive. Normally when I steam Netflix my phone gets warm, this was much worse. Could be the poor coding in the game, but it definitely made my phone hot.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine gets hot if I play Modern Combat 3 for like 30+ minutes, but that's normal considering how graphically intense it is+4G usage. My Original Droid would get crazy hot when I'd have it plugged into my car charger while using the GPS. You have to remember, these things are passively cooled, they actually use the frames of the phone as makeshift heatsinks, which means you're holding onto what is essentially the radiator for your CPU/GPU.

I'm thinking placebo affect for the 2nd one being less hot =P

Glad it worked out though.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Mine gets hot if I play Modern Combat 3 for like 30+ minutes, but that's normal considering how graphically intense it is+4G usage. My Original Droid would get crazy hot when I'd have it plugged into my car charger while using the GPS. You have to remember, these things are passively cooled, they actually use the frames of the phone as makeshift heatsinks, which means you're holding onto what is essentially the radiator for your CPU/GPU.

I'm thinking placebo affect for the 2nd one being less hot =P

Glad it worked out though.

Oh no, not a placebo effect, my first one was ****ing hot, not warm, literally to hot to touch around the camera housing. The new one gets warm when I play MC3, but not nearly as bad as my first one. I have had so many smart phones over the years, trust me when I say I know the difference between normal operating temps and oh **** take it back temps.

;-)

angelman

Reaction score
I had my stock phone in my pocket the other day and felt it was warm, then it just started getting hotter and hotter. It got so hot I coudlnt keep it in my pocket any more for fear of burning myself. There was nothing particularly running. In the end I did a battery pull for fear that the phone would self destruct!

Oh no, not a placebo effect, my first one was ****ing hot, not warm, literally to hot to touch around the camera housing. The new one gets warm when I play MC3, but not nearly as bad as my first one. I have had so many smart phones over the years, trust me when I say I know the difference between normal operating temps and oh **** take it back temps.

;-)

pchoi94

Reaction score
mine used to get hot but not anymore....I use 100% brightness

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Hi there, has anything changed between the time it used to heat up and now that it doesn't? i.e. did you upgrade the kernel or ROM or anything?

craiggers14

Reaction score
I have this issue all the time. The building I work in is just enough of a bunker to allow the slightest amount of signal through. The constant searching/picking up of signal/dropping of signal as I walk around is enough to set it off and get it hot. Once I switch over to wifi it calms it down.

joshfrank

Reaction score
I only experienced this (the heat) when using the phone while charging - either in the car or the desk.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I noticed mine getting hot when it was searching for a signal the other day, but usually I have a great 4G signal so it was pretty random that I noticed the warmth when I was in a bad area.

Honthraj

Reaction score
Just purchased the Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE from Sprint. While setting it up with my Exchange account, I noticed that it was very hot. I've changed the brightness since, and turned off the Wi-fi. It's now just warm.