Nexus & Droid 1 Speed Compared, Should I be conerned

Just to clarify, you're looking at your dBm on 3G and not 4G right? -83dBm is good for 4G and average for 3G.

And your numbers still look terrible, I'd swap it for another just because of the upload speeds because 41kbps is unfathomably low.

Yes, this is 3G. Someone said earlier in the thread that most of the 4G phones seems to have slower 3G speeds. At least according to their unofficial findings. Curious to know what you think about that. I really want to keep the phone if possible and going to my local Verizon is awful. Plus I just unlocked the bootloader. Yes, I know I can lock it again, but these things are harder for me in general since I have been learning as I go along.

Yes, this is 3G. Someone said earlier in the thread that most of the 4G phones seems to have slower 3G speeds. At least according to their unofficial findings. Curious to know what you think about that. I really want to keep the phone if possible and going to my local Verizon is awful. Plus I just unlocked the bootloader. Yes, I know I can lock it again, but these things are harder for me in general since I have been learning as I go along.

Unless you can go to another location and find that your upload speed is at least average, I can't imagine keeping the phone with those speeds.

Your upload speed is just so low I can't imagine there isn't something going on with the phone.

i though the speed test app wasn't optimized for ICS...as in it wont give an accurate reading. could be wrong though.

my suggestion, so into a verizon store and put them side by side and see how it compares.

i though the speed test app wasn't optimized for ICS...as in it wont give an accurate reading. could be wrong though.

my suggestion, so into a verizon store and put them side by side and see how it compares.

There might be some truth to this because I did notice that when Wifi tethering of my GN, and running speedtest on my laptop...I was seeing higher numbers than what I was seeing on the Speedtest app on the phone :blink:

For reference, I ran a comparison against my wife's D2G when I got my GNX. The results were very similar when running 3g, pretty much negligible speed difference. Nothing like what you have with incredibly low speed for the GNX.

For reference, I ran a comparison against my wife's D2G when I got my GNX. The results were very similar when running 3g, pretty much negligible speed difference. Nothing like what you have with incredibly low speed for the GNX.

Do you mean the low upload speed or just the speed in general?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

That's a good idea. I may try that this weekend. Is there a recommended speed test too?

That's a good idea. I may try that this weekend. Is there a recommended speed test too?

Sorry for the duplicate entries. More specifically, can I use the same speed test app testing it against a GNex at the Verizon store?

Twst my.net is a good website to get a much more accurate test.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

who knows how accurate speed numbers are on ICS, which is a new OS. who cares anyway, as long as it performs? :D

Twst my.net is a good website to get a much more accurate test.

Nice suggestion, I tried it with both the stock browser and Google Chrome and achieved a paltry upload speed of 3 kbs/second. -93 dbm 3G by the way, which is pretty typical for where I live. My wife's OG usually get's about -85 dbm here.

Last edited:
Just got out of Verizon. I ran the same test on the display model and got a slightly higher download speed on the display, but the same awful upload speed. As usual I know more than the employees do, but they did offer to replace it. I've decided to test some things out for a few more weeks as the phone works fine otherwise.

Just got out of Verizon. I ran the same test on the display model and got a slightly higher download speed on the display, but the same awful upload speed. As usual I know more than the employees do, but they did offer to replace it. I've decided to test some things out for a few more weeks as the phone works fine otherwise.

If the display model still had a terrible upload speed, then you should contact verizon corporate and let them know there is an issue in that area.

If the display model still had a terrible upload speed, then you should contact verizon corporate and let them know there is an issue in that area.

There have been some interesting developments to this that I think people would be interested to know. I was becoming more convinced that I hard a hardware problem and went and re-locked my boot loader expecting to return it. I called Verizon and managed to get a level 2 tech (the only helpful ones, typically). He agreed that my speed was abysmal and asked me to try a new SIM card. I did and did not see any improved results. I had to fly to Miami the next morning, so I didn't have time to deal with it then. Here is where it gets interesting. Upon landing in Miami, I decided to test my speed again via 3G. I can't remember the exact number, but it was a huge improvement. I tested it throughout the week in different parts of the city with similar results. Towards the end of the week I drove to Orlando and spent some time with family there. My sister-in-law still has an OG Droid and I decided to do some comparing. They had identical DBM signal, sometimes with the GNex a little better! Back in Baltimore, my DBM is terrible compared to my wife's OG. When I arrived back in Baltimore, I decided to test 3G again while waiting on my luggage at the airport...Getting good results, so I figured "My problem is solved" However, upon arriving in Towson, I ran the test again, only to see the abysmal 3 kb/second upload speed again. My guess...Its Verizon's network in the Baltimore/Towson area. Although I seemed to get good speeds at Baltimore airport. There seems to be an area that has a bug in the system or something. I'm going to call Verizon again in a few days and bring up the issue. I can only hope to get a tech who knows what they are doing. Suggestions on how to explain it to them. Thoughts?

Back