Nexus & Droid 1 Speed Compared, Should I be conerned

HikenGruven

Reaction score
So I have always noticed that my wife's Droid 1 is usually 10 dbm or so better than my Galaxy Nexus. Tonight I did some speed test on 3G to see what each would say. Shockingly, the Droid 1 out performed my Nexus. I tried it a few times with similar results. Should I be concerned about this?View attachment 46907View attachment 46906

I'm assuming you don't have 4g in your area, if you do why the heck are you on 3g?!

I wouldn't be too concerned about it, I mean there's a pretty significant difference in the ping as well.

I'm assuming you don't have 4g in your area, if you do why the heck are you on 3g?!

The 4G obviously blows it away, but I usually don't use my 4G unless I'm downloading something big because it eats my battery. I just wanted to make sure something wasn't wrong with my phone.

Switched to 3G to get an idea of what to compare your test to, because they look pretty bad.

On 3G with an -83dBm(3 bars) on my Nexus I'm getting 1219 kbps download 867 kbps upload.

So it looks like your wife's droid is similar to my download but about half of my upload speed on 3G on my Nexus.

My OG is seeing 1327 kbps download and 426 kbps upload, similar to your wife's OG.

Just for reference if you get to test with 4G:

Nexus on 4G: Download=10096 kbps Upload: 7590 kbps with -93dBm(3 bars).

The 4G obviously blows it away, but I usually don't use my 4G unless I'm downloading something big because it eats my battery. I just wanted to make sure something wasn't wrong with my phone.
Lol ok just wondering. What I've seen with all 4g devices is slower 3g speeds. With the TB, Charge, and Razr recently. Ran 3 tests to compare to a D3 and DX2 (friends were bored as well). Turns out the 3g only phones got the faster download speeds, but I don't recall any of them being that big of a difference.

edit: Do not take my findings as actual research. :D

Last edited:
Switched to 3G to get an idea of what to compare your test to, because they look pretty bad.

On 3G with an -83dBm(3 bars) on my Nexus I'm getting 1219 kbps download 867 kbps upload.

So it looks like your wife's droid is similar to my download but about half of my upload speed on 3G on my Nexus.

My OG is seeing 1327 kbps download and 426 kbps upload, similar to your wife's OG.

Just for reference if you get to test with 4G:

Nexus on 4G: Download=10096 kbps Upload: 7590 kbps with -93dBm(3 bars).

I added some more information. I ran another 3G test between the Nexus and Droid 1, the screenshots are attached.
-93 Nexus
-89 Droid 1

I also attached a screenshot for the 4G test.
-93 Nexus

Seems odd that your 4G is so much better heh, I can't imagine your 3G radio is broken or anything, but I guess it's possible with that bad of an upload speed.

Hrm, let me ask this, whats your data usage like? Is it possible you're getting throttled?

Seems odd that your 4G is so much better heh, I can't imagine your 3G radio is broken or anything, but I guess it's possible with that bad of an upload speed.

Hrm, let me ask this, whats your data usage like? Is it possible you're getting throttled?

If he were being throttled, the 4G would also be throttled but based on the last test it definitely isn't.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

I usually use around 4 gigs of data a month, so it is doubtful I'm getting throttled. I have heard though that you can be throttled based on how many people in a specific geographic area is trying to access the same tower. I get decent dbm just about everywhere else in town I live in except of course my apartment. I can try another test tomorrow and see if there is any difference.

If he were being throttled, the 4G would also be throttled but based on the last test it definitely isn't.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Technically that's incorrect, as only 3G data is throttled, not 4G according to Verizon's official statement.

@FoxKat - Verizon is only throttling 3G data not 4G.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Ok, sorry it took a few days to get back to this. I ran the same test again in a strong 3G area with fairly similar abysmal results. See the attached screenshots. I forgot to look at what the dbm were, but I can tell you that the best my Nexus usually gets is -83 dbm while the OG gets -75 dbm.

Ok, sorry it took a few days to get back to this. I ran the same test again in a strong 3G area with fairly similar abysmal results. See the attached screenshots. I forgot to look at what the dbm were, but I can tell you that the best my Nexus usually gets is -83 dbm while the OG gets -75 dbm.

Just to clarify, you're looking at your dBm on 3G and not 4G right? -83dBm is good for 4G and average for 3G.

And your numbers still look terrible, I'd swap it for another just because of the upload speeds because 41kbps is unfathomably low.

Back