Next-Gen Android Tablet Knock-Offs Begin

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
epad-h10.jpg

The race to make profit from the Android Tablet phenomenon is already off to a great start with multiple manufacturers creating a slew of Honeycomb powered devices. It seems that this has kicked off a new "knock-off" mini-race as well. A new company called "Pioneer Computer", based out of Australia is coming out with a Honeycomb powered knock-off of the Motorola Xoom. (They are not the Pioneer, famous world-wide electronics manufacturer of stereos and plasma TVs.) Their new tablet is called the DreamBook ePad H10 HD, and it's specs are virtually the same as the Xoom. Here's what Phandroid's article had to say about it.
On paper the ePad H10 HD stacks right up against the likes of the Motorola XOOM: Tegra 2 processor, 1GB of RAM, 10.1-inch 1280×800 capacitive touchscreen, and dual cameras. Throw in up to 64GB of storage and a 3G radio and this Pioneer tablet sounds like nothing to scoff at. The price tag also takes its cue from the expensive Honeycomb tablets of late coming in at a wallet draining $700.
It may be a bit cheaper than the Xoom, but it's still pretty pricey nonetheless. I suppose one cool thing about this, is that if several knock-offs flood the market in the future, it will drive prices down on the rest of them. What do you guys think of this? Capable competitor or destined to fail?

Source: AndroidTablets.net via PhanDroid

HamDog

Reaction score
$700!!! hahaha! What have they been smoking in Australia? One thing that always set the PC apart from Mac were the prices. The Mac equivalent computer as far as specs, was about 40% move expensive than a PC. But today, tablet makers are pricing themselves right up there with the iPad. Let's face it, Apple is a big company that's been around and proven themselves. They are known for quality products. So far, they've been setting the standards. How can knock-off companies come out with stuff like this and make it more expensive than the iPad?

And I thought Motorola was aiming way too high with their pricing. But at least we've all heard of Motorola.

I'm not an Apple fan at all. I've never owned an Apple product. I just don't like proprietary systems. But heck, these days, I find myself defending Apple products. My friends think I'm on drugs! :icon_eek:

I know this is all new and pricing is gonna be high for new technologies. They should come down with time. But I hope this new technology doesn't drive itself out of the market before it ever had a chance due to ridiculous pricing.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it has the same specs as the Xoom but cheaper, why would I get the Xoom?

I never thought of this scenario: off brand high end tablets. Were there any off brand high end Android phones? I dont remember any...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^^ Thank the carriers owning them and us for that one

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Can you really call it a knockoff if its truely a formidable tablet? I mean yes, it looks the same, but it is in fact a full featured and functional tablet running Honeycomb. I think knockoff is being used a little too frequently here. If it was running some random OS that barely works or something, then sure, its a knockoff. Phones that look like an iPhone but don't run iOS are knockoffs. Tablets that run Honeycomb are Android tablets. I mean, if this really is a knockoff, then the Xoom is a knockoff of the Asus 10" tablet form last year (I forget the name). It had a Tegra2 processor also.

nyeshia0431

Reaction score
Im not calling this a knock off, but this shouldn't cost as much as all the main manufacturers are charging...im just saying

bplewis24

Reaction score
The only thing you don't know about this product are two things: build quality and customer support.

Those are the two things that generally separate proven brand manufacturers and small-time start-ups. We know it's Tegra2, and we know the feature set, so those things alone make it worthy of consideration. But at $700 is better have damn good build quality to justify (over)pricing it like the iPad2 and Xoom are.

Brandon

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can you really call it a knockoff if its truely a formidable tablet? I mean yes, it looks the same, but it is in fact a full featured and functional tablet running Honeycomb. I think knockoff is being used a little too frequently here. If it was running some random OS that barely works or something, then sure, its a knockoff. Phones that look like an iPhone but don't run iOS are knockoffs. Tablets that run Honeycomb are Android tablets. I mean, if this really is a knockoff, then the Xoom is a knockoff of the Asus 10" tablet form last year (I forget the name). It had a Tegra2 processor also.

The only thing you don't know about this product are two things: build quality and customer support.

Those are the two things that generally separate proven brand manufacturers and small-time start-ups. We know it's Tegra2, and we know the feature set, so those things alone make it worthy of consideration. But at $700 is better have damn good build quality to justify (over)pricing it like the iPad2 and Xoom are.

Brandon

Some good points.

Yea I dont think I would call this a knock off either. I mean if it wasnt for Notion Ink getting some publicity here n there, would that be considered a knock off?

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
Also software updates, how fast will this company update their SW if at all? That is the major problem with android these days is that you cannot just get the update right from google. Unless an off brand has major dev support from the hacking community then you are at manufacturers mercy for updates and who knows if and when they will ever come...

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
Who knows for sure what kind of innards that thing has? I wish these companies would try to come out with something truly great instead of looking at an iPad and try to do some one-up-manship by slapping a few extras (usb, sdcard slot, hdmi, etc) and calling it a better product. Innovate. Come up with something truly spectacular with a competitive price. The Xoom so far has proven to be underwhelming at best. You couldn't sell me one for more than $200. It isn't that impressive compared to the iPad2.

alant40

Reaction score
Who knows for sure what kind of innards that thing has? I wish these companies would try to come out with something truly great instead of looking at an iPad and try to do some one-up-manship by slapping a few extras (usb, sdcard slot, hdmi, etc) and calling it a better product. Innovate. Come up with something truly spectacular with a competitive price. The Xoom so far has proven to be underwhelming at best. You couldn't sell me one for more than $200. It isn't that impressive compared to the iPad2.

I like the Xoom. I like it because it's not an IPad. I don't have to hook it up to my pc to take a crap. I like it because music I download can be played anywhere. On an IPad, it's in m4r format and needs to be converted over to mp3. I like to be able to open my back panel to change a battery. I like ota updates, again not having to hook up to pc. I could go on and on. Apple has got the apps and, for now, Android doesn't. Price doesn't matter to me. Restrictions do! Oh, by the way. Did I mention I own an IPad and when I get my Xoom or Galaxy Tab 2 or whatever Honeycomb based device, this is headed to EBay to supplement my new purchase of an Android tablet....

I realize you quoted the iPad 2. Except for the camera, which is horrible I hear, 1 mp rear facing, it's only slightly better than the original IPad. :)

alant40

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong. The iPad 2 sells for 499. But that is for the wifi only version and at 16GB. The wifi+3G version is 599 at 16GB. The 32GB version with wifi+3G is 729. The Xoom if I'm not mistaken has a 32GB card that comes with it. And it has wifi and 3G. Now if you go through a carrier, it's 599 and you pay your data. Why the he'll is everyone crying about 700$ and it's to pricey. I don't get it. I have the original iPad and I paid 629 and had to buy the adapter for the sd card. And mine was the 16GB version. Do the math people. The Xoom is not overpriced at all. People see starting at 499 and Apple wins the ad wars.

alant40

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong. The iPad 2 sells for 499. But that is for the wifi only version and at 16GB. The wifi+3G version is 599 at 16GB. The 32GB version with wifi+3G is 729. The Xoom if I'm not mistaken has a 32GB card that comes with it. And it has wifi and 3G. Now if you go through a carrier, it's 599 and you pay your data. Why the hell is everyone crying about 700$ and it's to pricey. I don't get it. I have the original iPad and I paid 629 and had to buy the adapter for the sd card. And mine was the 16GB version. Do the math people. The Xoom is not overpriced at all. People see starting at 499 and Apple wins the ad wars.

Rindaen

Reaction score
Alant40 , you have your reasons for not liking ios, Glad to see you did try it.
While ios does have benefits , there are a couple annoying aspects.
Once jailbroken thosse go away though... Diskmode mainly my main gripe.

The Xoom or Tab may be good devices.
Many people (Myself Included) that have tried Android would not purchase another Android device again.

Hope the Android tablet performs better for you